Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh. I guess it's true that journalism is dead. Every newspaper rehashing the same garbage, without any attempt to look at if the story they are writing makes sense.

1) SEC investigation is closed! Case closed.
2) Tesla is likely working with other companies to build the Supercharger network.
3) There is no evidence to suggest this Europe based EV charging network will be ready before the end of 2018, at the earliest. By the end of 2018, Tesla Superchargers will be everywhere.

How is this related to my post?
because you asked how is america so backward,
i was trying to obliquely point out fossil fuel companies stand to lose a lot of money over the short and long term if they don't squelch "free fuel" (sunlight) or cheaper fuel (sunlight) and they are not "backward", but long and short term threatened
no offense meant, just my POV. I find TMC a nice friendly, informative place

Tesla selling off because Mark B Spiegel pitched short thesis at conference! Yes the guy who tweets 50 times a day and is obvious obcessed. Buy the pullback. He is an idiot

I expect that Ron Baron, whose Baron Funds heavily own TSLA, will quite effectively refute Mr. Spiegel when Mr. Baron speaks at that same Robin Hood Conference today at 3:45 EST.

Last edited:
I expect that Ron Baron, whose Baron Funds heavily own TSLA, will quite effectively refute Mr. Spiegel when Mr. Baron speaks at that same Robin Hood Conference today at 3:45 EDT.

How did Spiegel get on the list? He isn't an analyst, isn't credible, and has a horrible reputation. :confused:

How can he be called a managing partner, when I think he's the only person "managing" his very questionable "Hedge fund"? It's not even clear if he has any financial certifications.

Last edited:
How did Tesla's accounting differ from that of any growth tech company? Did those other growth tech companies also get similar treatment from SEC? Those two key pieces of information are missing from every single article I read. Any analysts who can answer?

We've already known GAAP were prejudiced against innovation and growth, and encourage declining into bankruptcy in companies, and as a growing innovating non-bankrupting company, Tesla thought it would follow in the footsteps of its west coast bretheren and do better. Obviously, they needed to do a better job reconciling the two and have continued to respond by doing so, but it is insane how completely incompetent the news articles about this have been.

Accounting is an extremely important tool for public companies to communicate to their investors, but it seems like the standards of that accounting have been trying to turn our country into a laughing stock. More communism weakening of our nation helped out by our current federal government? I hope not!

Last edited:
In case no one noted. Today's slide seems to be because of Mark B. Spiegel's very strong bashing at Robin Hood conference.

Robin Hood Investors Conference | Redefining Higher Returns

He is to the bottom of the list: 2016 Speakers | Robin Hood Investors Conference

Very surprised that a pitiful studio dweller would get invited to speak at such a big event.

As I noted earlier, Ron Baron whose funds manage hugely greater assets will likely refute Spiegel today at that same conference at 3:45 EST.

Sigh. I guess it's true that journalism is dead. Every newspaper rehashing the same garbage, without any attempt to look at if the story they are writing makes sense.

1) SEC investigation is closed! Case closed.

But many retail investors may not have known about the "nonstandard" and "individually tailored" numbers. That is really "amusing:" wording. LOL.

2) Tesla is likely working with other companies to build the Supercharger network.

They reported on the announcement. There is nothing in the announcement that Tesla is likely to be participating or that Tesla is likely to be spending $100M to buy in to the network or that Tesla is likely to be paid $100M to participated for their brand value. That is all just guess work and people here would whine if they guessed about something that was negative to Tesla.

3) There is no evidence to suggest this Europe based EV charging network will be ready before the end of 2018, at the earliest. By the end of 2018, Tesla Superchargers will be everywhere.

Funny. And yet no one complains when Tesla makes announcements of their plans with no evidence that the plan will hit the target date. I mean it isn't as if Tesla ever missed their projections, especially for supercharger expansion,

There was never supposed to be a charging network advantage for Tesla. It is the recalcitrance, anti-competitive behavior and myopia of the major automakers gifted this temporary advantage to Tesla.
LOL.
Not according to tons of posters here.
Go read any thread about the Bolt - "yeah, but there is no supercharger network" is the common response and when one points out that that is easily solved with money, the response is "stop spreading FUD". Double LOL

LOL indeed. I nominate Value Ev post for the most absurd post of the week.

Are you seriously suggesting that Bolt's current charging handicap in US is being eliminated by announcement of future deployment of fast charging network in Europe??

FYI, I am going to point out another way, besides throwing money, to "easily solve" the long distance charging problem: just issue statement attempting to show how one is going to fix this problem in future.

Oh, and let me point out the obvious: there was never supposed to be charging advantage for Tesla, but there is, compliments of the screw-up by the automotive majors.

Last edited:
Very surprised that a pitiful studio dweller would get invited to speak at such a big event.
Being that his entire hedge fund seems to have no strategy other than shorting Tesla I agree. That being said a quick Google search seems to show he got money from somewhere and certainly does not live in a studio:
For Sale: 300 East 77th St. #18B in Upper East Side

I was hoping to find he lives in a studio - but then again it is probably pretty easy to figure out the size of an apartment given an address in NYC so he probably would use a PO box on his website if that were the case.

As I noted earlier, Ron Baron whose funds manage hugely greater assets will likely refute Spiegel today at that same conference at 3:45 EST.

I think him being at this event gives credibility to my theory that one of Spiegel's relatives works for Bloomberg or one of the larger financial news sources. I'll try to relocate the info I found. I posted it months back.

Being that his entire hedge fund seems to have no strategy other than shorting Tesla I agree. That being said a quick Google search seems to show he got money from somewhere and certainly does not live in a studio:
For Sale: 300 East 77th St. #18B in Upper East Side

I was hoping to find he lives in a studio - but then again it is probably pretty easy to figure out the size of an apartment given an address in NYC so he probably would use a PO box on his website if that were the case.

Note: The value of his apartment ~= the value of his hedge fund. Also his apartment is registered as the address for his hedge fund.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: madodel and Ulmo
How did Tesla's accounting differ from that of any growth tech company? Did those other growth tech companies also get similar treatment from SEC? Those two key pieces of information are missing from every single article I read. Any analysts who can answer?

We've already known GAAP were prejudiced against innovation and growth, and encourage declining into bankruptcy in companies, and as a growing innovating non-bankrupting company, !

TIL that GAAP is prejudiced against innovation and growth.

Here are some innovative and growth companies that report using GAAP
Google
Facebook
Amazon
Grubhub
Arista Networks
Veeva Systems
Skyworks Solutions
Lam Research
Fortinet
Wageworks

There are companies that may have used "creative accounting" to describe their business as being healthier than it really was, but those companies probably aren't around anymore - for good reason.

• Disagree
Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid
Status
Not open for further replies.