Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heat transfer solely through the floor of a cylinder doesn't make anymuch sense. Were that the case, there would be a slight but demonstrable and deleterious discrepancy of cathodic reaction within such a cell. Are you sure of that?

That said, a thinner cylinder floor also provides for more efficient heat transfer, although the overall d(effect) would be, of course, much diminished.

I was puzzled by this initially as well, but after a closer look, forced cooling through the bottom makes more sense than through the wall. Cylindrical cell is a rolled sandwich with specific heat conductivity across sandwiched layers likely to be lower than through the bottom.

Snap1.png

PS: Never confuse rumor with cold hard fact. The world and especially the internet already is awash with disinformation, misinformation and other treachery.

Congratulations on your incoming P100D. I am going to say this (and it is much more than a rumor, as it comes from the document issued by Tesla): cooling in battery pack of your future car uses space grade technology. You will be very pleased once you learn all the details.

From everything I've read and has been discussed on this board over the past several years, they can't. They have too much money tied to their plants and wouldn't make profit if they tried.
Actually, the situation with utilities is *extremely* locality-specific. I've been watching this. Some utilities are doing one thing, some are doing another. The ones who were already required to shed all generation capacity have a very different attitude from the ones who still own generation, for example. But even among the ones who still own generation, different utilities are jumping different directions.

There are enough utilities who are being really stupid to provide a big market for SolarCity, though. And most of them are in extra-sunny climates. Weirdly, the smarter utilities are mostly located further north.

Reactions: ggies07
I've made all my gains with short term trading and made zero with long term.
Well, some people have an art for the timing. Go you! Do what you're good at!

I don't have an art for the timing, and there's evidence the vast majority of people don't.

My average purchase price has been rising as I accumulate more shares but it's still well under 180.

I suppose my sales of puts which expired are short term, and I did quite well on them, but I don't think of them that way, because they *might have* executed and then they would have been long term purchases. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: EnzoXYZ and EinSV
prismatic cells vs cylindrical cells may be the answer
Absolutely not! Why would you even think that's a possibility?
Publically available Tesla sources. I need to find time to post all of the details, was planning to do so for some time now, but did not get to it. This information has reliability close to 100%. Elimination of cooling ducts between the rows of cells is what allowed Tesla to stick more cells in the P100D battery pack. The same architecture allowed to increase capacity of PowerWall and PowerPack.
The 2170 cells also have the increased capacity due to the additional length, about 16%.
I was puzzled by this initially as well, but after a closer look, forced cooling through the bottom makes more sense than through the wall. Cylindrical cell is a rolled sandwich with specific heat conductivity across sandwiched layers likely to be lower than through the bottom.
If the heat transfer is better or not depends partially on which layer in the cell produces most of the heat. Also the surface area,of the ends of the cells are much less than the sides. But if it works it's obviously better due to the importance of the pack energy density.

Are you sure that it's just the bottom? Because given the fact that heat rises using either the top, or both the top and the bottom makes more sense than using only the bottom.

Are the cell walls are made of steel , not aluminum?

Last edited:
The 2170 cells also have the increased capacity due to the additional length, about 16%.
Sure

Are you sure that it's just the bottom? Because given the fact that heat rises using either the top, or both the top and the bottom makes more sense than using only the bottom.

Are the cell walls are made of steel , not aluminum?
Look at it in this way: all of the cells sit on the tray bottom of which is actively cooled, all of the layers in the rolled sandwich of a cell are in contact with the tray (through the bottom of the casing). In case of cooling ducts weaving between the rows of the cells only outer case (wall) of the cell is in contact with actively cooled surface.

I think that cells have aluminum case, but not 100% sure, would need to peruse the document again to verify.

{below is quote}
prismatic cells vs cylindrical cells may be the answer
Absolutely not! Why would you even think that's a possibility?
{above is quote}

apologies for being obscure, meant cylindricals easier to control temp, C rates, etc. prefer the thought processes favoring cylindricals
again apologies for not being clear, except to myself

Reactions: neroden
Not sure I understand the question - P100D IS using 18650. All battery packs prior to new architecture used cooling ducts between the rows of battery cells. The new architecture did away with these cooling ducts
Overcoming my usual resistance to commenting on subjects about which I know nothing, is this Teslarati article relevant?
What makes the Tesla 100 kWh battery so different?

Status
Not open for further replies.