Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that they might be planning to use Panasonic's existing panels on an interim basis until they start producing panels in buffalo. Osborning anyone?
Because they are cheaper?

Doesn't Sunpower sell higher priced high efficiency American made panels and cheaper standard efficiency Asian made panels?
But how can they make them cheaper if some of the main advantages of the partnership are reduced costs, e.g. by using 6" wafers instead of 4"'wafers, and Tesla's production improvements.

As per TMC tradition, we need someone to claim this will be the last day ever for buying under $200.
By 2018 I expect the traditional statement will be either under $300 again or possibly $400.

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE
I'll do it.

This is the last day we see sub $200 for TSLA (until they do stock split or something).

But seriously, except some intra-day dips, I do think in the mid term TSLA will be on the rise. Technical and fundamental are both in good shape now.
The ~12m shares who were against the merger as of the record date back in late Sep should have finished selling their shares now.

#1 Also, penetrated ichimoku cloud which is very strong bullish sign, and cloud is now support.
#2 On the subject of shares that were against merger, i did not sell yet, and will not, but reserve right to complain for the next couple of years.

ichimoku dec 16.PNG

But how can they make them cheaper if some of the main advantages of the partnership are reduced costs, e.g. by using 6" wafers instead of 4"'wafers, and Tesla's production improvements.

Unless the new high efficiency panels are the same price or cheaper than current standard efficiency panels because they have been cheaper.

If that is what Tesla/Solar City/Silevo have accomplished, giving us a 23% efficiency panel for the same or lower cost than a standard efficiency panel then I am dumbfounded and tip my hat to them.

1. Then what?

Subsidies have been counterbalanced in the USA with countervailing duties.

2. If Panasonic standard efficiency panels would be uneconomic to install then so should all the standard efficiency panels.

3. Everyone should only be installing 21% plus high efficiency panels to save on uneconomic installation labor.
1. I don't know why, but Elon said that the efficiency of standard generic panels is about 15% compared to the Silevo panels that are ~21%.

2. Panasonic panels have a similar efficiency to the Silevo panels.

3. I agree! Hopefully Silevo or Panasonic, purchased from Tesla!

If that is what Tesla/Solar City/Silevo have accomplished, giving us a 23% efficiency panel for the same or lower cost than a standard efficiency panel then I am dumbfounded and tip my hat to them.
Elon said he believes that they can do that (not positive about the exact percentage). So if you believe Elon then they will, in the near future, accomplish that.

When that happens can we get a video of you tipping your hat :D?

There is a clear message differentiation between them and Tesla. Tesla markets itself as a premium car. Lucid - luxury car, "private jet on wheels". As such Tesla is aimed more at a customer that perhaps values technology, performance and safety, but also puts emphasis on practicality, while Lucid is after those craving unapologetic luxury first and foremost. This is my take, and I believe sales numbers and list of conquest brands will prove it.
Agreed. Even if I were actually wealthy, I'd never give up my Model S for a Lucid. The pictures I saw earlier of that car showed that it had little room for anything but the passengers. I can haul a great deal in my S.

Reactions: madodel and AndreN
Everybody should see this documentary. The tipping point for renewables has been reached, there is no going back, and Tesla is at the very centre of this vortex. All the deniers in the world, including those elected to power, cannot stop this momentum; it's much bigger than any single country, even one as powerful as the United States.

Hear that, Mr. Scott Pruitt? That is the sound of inevitability.

(Apologies if this has been posted already, and for jumping in somewhat off-topic, but I just saw this and I thought I should share. I am posting it here because whenever I post in "on topic" threads, nobody reads it.)

Just curious. NASDAQ shows TLSA's market cap about 2B$ lower than Yahoo Finance shows it. Is that because NASDAQ doesn't take into account the SC acquisition yet? Anyone know?

Adding solar city created a larger company and therefore larger market cap. Unfortunately it also increased the number of shares so the value per share remains about the same.

Sounds like Nasdaq hasn't added the new shares to the total and is therefore calculating a lower market cap.

It's clear to me that pv is off to the races, just not clear how residential could be preferable to utility or commercial. Selling in small increments and putting it on the roof.. meh. Even on the storage front, the vanadium flow batteries are vastly cheaper it seems, just not for residential. I voted with elon, but i was very close to overriding with the full weight of my .000000001%.

• Funny
Reactions: austinEV
It's clear to me that pv is off to the races, just not clear how residential could be preferable to utility or commercial. Selling in small increments and putting it on the roof.. meh. Even on the storage front, the vanadium flow batteries are vastly cheaper it seems, just not for residential. I voted with elon, but i was very close to overriding with the full weight of my .000000001%.
Local production avoids the 6% grid transmission loss, plus with battery backup allows you to keep the lights on, and the Tesla charged, even when the grid goes down. That has value.

Everybody should see this documentary. The tipping point for renewables has been reached, there is no going back, and Tesla is at the very centre of this vortex. All the deniers in the world, including those elected to power, cannot stop this momentum; it's much bigger than any single country, even one as powerful as the United States.

Hear that, Mr. Scott Pruitt? That is the sound of inevitability.

(Apologies if this has been posted already, and for jumping in somewhat off-topic, but I just saw this and I thought I should share. I am posting it here because whenever I post in "on topic" threads, nobody reads it.)
I watched it. At 27:10 the German promoter said his $200 million fund returns 30% (but only 25% on the short side) Should I pull my capital from Stanphyl Capital?

You haven't explained why they would produce or why Tesla would buy inferior or more expensive (less efficient to produce) panels as opposed to the panels with the combined technology. Would you buy panels from SCTY that are not as good as some other SCTY panels? How could SCTY ethically sell them, other than possibly as a temporary measure while they ramp production in Buffalo?

The only solar panels that Solar City has made are the Silevo panels in a pilot plant in Fremont. Everything else has been purchased from outside suppliers. The Silevo technology is still under development and not ready for large scale production. There is the possibility that Solar City was in trouble to meet the New York State production schedule with the Silevo panels and Elon with the help of Panasonic came to the rescue. Panasonic bought the Sanyo solar division a few years back and has been manufacturing and selling panels world-wide. I looked into buying the Silevo solar panels from Solar City and came to a dead end. They are not for sale (at least to individuals). Most solar panel manufacturers sell panels of varying efficiencies. Cost and temperature effects (e.g., maintaining efficiency at high temperature as in the desert) are important in addition to just efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.