Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Base model will not have $10k margin. On the surface it sounds right. Shorts and a few analysts will think this way. I can't agree with them. The model 3 is a clear confirmation that Tesla is the new Apple, in the early stage. If down the road Tesla raises price by 10%, do you think these buyers will disappear? It will not change my order. No other cars can get close. Also, most people will order options, those options can have nice margin. Tesla is on it's way to dominate the car and energy storage sectors. Once people realize that, they will see the company is quite under valued. For many years Amazon doesn't have profit, but because it's going to dominate the online business, some people can see it's value. Recent Amazon move is related to the cloud success. Tesla also has additional business in the cards. Those will happen in the future.

Yep and you won't be able to get a base model when deliveries start. The fastest way to get a model3 is order a fully loaded one. This is no different than ordering MS or MX

For those who still can't decide, my suggestion is "Just reserve it, ask questions later."
I specifically didn't make a reservation in order to avoid being tempted to buy a second car when I don't need or really want one. I intend to keep my Model S until at least 2021 when the extended warranty expires, and preferably at least a couple of years past that.

But if the Model 3 waitlist starts stretching into 2023, I might have to make a reservation!... But I hope Elon will manage to expand fast enough to avoid that level of backlog! If they were making them all at the Fremont factory and we assumed Oil4AsphaultOnly's ramp-up projections, that would require over 1.7 million reservations. Surely that many would lead to the prompt construction of a second (or third) factory and reduce the wait time.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Talking about what big auto makers could do, one has to realize that regardless of if Tesla is able to keep growing relentlessly, it will still be a very long time before they could capture some meaningful portion of the world's entire car sales. So there is definitely room for several players in the future car market (i.e. BEV market). So if I were the CEO of some big auto company I would not aim to create a Model S, Model X or Model 3 competitor - that race has already been lost. I'd aim to make the world's first and best high volume BEV pickup truck.

Yep. For an interesting case of a company working on a different market segment, BYD is quite successfully taking leadership in the city bus market. (I expect school buses and charter buses will be next.) Proterra and New Flyer offer competition, but BYD is currently ahead.

For another example, there's a race to win the electric motorcyle market. At the moment I think Zero is winning but it's still a tight race with a couple of competitors.

Nobody's made inroads into the panel van market and it's a no-brainer.

The pickup market is *wide open* and Tesla seems to be too busy to move in on it yet, though Musk has mentioned plans...

Advertising revenues are the lifeblood of the media. Tesla does not advertise. It is a competitor of companies that advertise heavily. Of course Tesla will likely advertise eventually, and media outlets may be wise to start developing favorable relationships with Tesla.

This is a very interesting point. In fact, if I were a savvy marketing and advertising exec, I'd be looking to push Tesla for free - the halo-effect of having them on your books would be phenominal

Reactions: InTheShadows
Now that some seem more open to discussing a capital raise before Q1 ER, I picked up yesterday's post by Julian.

+1 That and this:

tl;dr version: Get positioned for analysts beats inbound after a brief delay.

Here is the Wall Street & Musk two step (or ten step or whatever) cynical secret master plan as far as I understand it:

1. Musk gives a date he's going to do something really radical (like launch Model 3).
2. Analysts say it's all going to go to crap for the stock, watch out below.
3. Musk does the radical thing he said he would
4. Bulls go wow that ought to be cool for the stock, big analyst beat.
5. Shorts snigger at the idiots because the analysts warned everyone but due to confirmation bias only the shorts really understood it - and they snigger that Musk will be in a state of desperation in a trap between raising a lot of money for something Musk has promised the idiots that he cant afford to deliver without the idiots paying for it and surely just the act of raising the money dawn on the longs that he is taking their money instead of making any for them in terms of profits and the stock should tank the way the market is supposed to function according to some text book from 1977.
6. Analysts check out the potential of the cool thing to be a reason for Musk to want to raise a lot of money - and they think it is.
7. Analysts firms knock on Tesla's door and badger Musk for an appointment to be book runners for a fundraiser - but he says get lost! I don't actually need any money and regardless I can prove to you that I can trade through this without your help because I have a $billion loan facility at circa 2% interest and I'm getting a shade more than a $100 million a day average at 0% interest free from my customers and all my product lines are making money to so my worst case outcome is I get where I want to go on a bit smaller scale than the maximum possible - but if the deal was really really good then I guess we can accelerate our plans and all get rich together. So go away until the stock is at least sitting at $XXX - let's say $350, bit if it was at $350 I guess we should do something.
8. Analysts go back to their banks, tell their favorite clients to start buying, maybe buy a bit themselves then to a man the admit that they were completely gobsmaked how radical that thing was, totally U-turn about calling it a load of crap before the event due to some paradigm shift and the stock deserves to rocket to $350 + another $100 for good measure. Upgrades to $450 and champagne all round - All except for the sniggering shorts who are not invited. They get the smile wiped off their faces and end up paying for the whole deal on margin calls.
9. Number 8 is usually 2, 3 or 4 trading days after the radical thing - fast enough to just look like a delayed reaction and plausible time enough to write something that looks like research.
10. If Musk gets his target price for a raise then the analyst's banks get a book runner job and they get rich. If they miss by a bit and Musk doesn't bite on the book-runner job then they slowly commence demurring all over again until the next opportunity.

If you agree it makes sense then being positioned ready for the thing to go north in 2, 3 or 4 trading days is probably wise.

Nice to see you speculate about a raise soon (rather than H2 which you argued for recently for reasons of cash flow and de-risking). Also, got fun out of your list and your line below:

[Requote from above in Julian's list ]:
"....7. Analysts firms knock on Tesla's door and badger Musk for an appointment to be book runners for a fundraiser - but he says get lost!"

Yes I definitely agree there, IMO he will really say get lost in no uncertain terms. But thereafter it will play out quite differently, I think:
He will not take the banks into his confidence. To do so at this point would be fatal. Not at all.

This is the moment Musk will turn the tables on all the Investment Banks. He will tell them to go home for now and watch the April fireworks show, maybe have a chat about raising later in the month, a lot has to play out in the whole automotive world first.

IMHO, April is going to be absolutely cataclysmic for the Automotive industry. I don't want to say too much more until we have confirmation of Q1 deliveries, if only to know Tesla hasn't stumbled, so I'll stop on a powerful idea:

The Unveil told us M3 is beautiful, it looks $50,000 more than it costs (Thanks Julian you called it perfectly!).
And the base model is only $35,000 before incentives. But what else? Nothing surprising that Roadster, S and X owners did not already expect.

In other words the message so far has only been what amazing VALUE (I believed that, and you put it in great detail) and yet we are into the hundreds of thousands of deposits already. Musk is only feigning surprise BTW, he knew darn well it would play out exactly this way. It will be in the millions soon... (like I was saying before the unveil).

And yet we know Unveil Part 2 is "the super next level". And that Part 2 will be closer to production. Well my point is Musk is being coy here...tomorrow or next week is closer to production. We are going to be treated to Part 2 at some time in April once Musk is happy that the VALUE meme is sufficiently diffused into humanity's consciousness. Stand by!

Just for the record, I'll put my WAG for total reservations in April at 10m (i.e. $10B in deposits!). I'll pick up from there if Q1 deliveries are reasonable.

Last edited:
Maybe its in the fridge?

Edit. I gave you a dislike and now I feel bad even though I shouldn't. I had an oven disappear from a guest house once. I disliked it too. The neighbor across the road, very nice lady from Finland said she watched it being carried through our hedge and thought it was very odd, but her husband had just stashed the garage full of illegally imported alcohol so she didn't think it was smart to call the cops. Bummer.

Anyway. Thought a dislike would demonstrate more genuine empathy.

I mean seriously.

My dog died

:):):) +1 +1 +1

Really?

This is not appropriate - I guess depending on how you felt about the dog in question. Could have been more:eek: or :mad:. Not all dogs are very nice. How was the fridge?

Did you really hate it but had it insured like the hope diamond like shorting the sh•t out of a fridge? If so please accept my apologies. If not I hope the email shows up.

You are over thinking things. This is just funny superstitious stuff. aka my crystal ball. It is suspected that tsla stock fundamentals follows my life events.

For example. When I bathed in ganga and came out without any infection, the stock jumped by 10%.

When Johan took me out for dinner and let me ride in his Model S, the stock went up 3%.

You are over thinking things. This is just funny superstitious stuff. aka my crystal ball. It is suspected that tsla stock fundamentals follows my life events.

For example. When I bathed in ganga and came out without any infection, the stock jumped by 10%.

When Johan took me out for dinner and let me ride in his Model S, the stock went up 3%.

SO.....IF we extrapolate properly: If Johan drives you to bath in ganga will the stock go up 3x10= 30%? Johan, my friend, time to put a full charge into the S:cool:

image.jpeg

I saw a MX today up close for the first time. I can tell you this thing is a stud, parked next to an X6 it makes BMW look like a dinosaur. The X is actually quite large, about the same size as the x6, overall it's just a sexy car with lots of smooth lines. You can trust me on this, once X gets into the showrooms, it will outsell every luxury SUV. cant wait to see X delivery numbers this month.

It's clearly X style. When I first saw the nose of X, I wasn't sure about it, looks weird. It took me some time to like it. And when I saw it in person, I started to think the fake grill on the S was not necessary. I think the same process would go for the 3's front for some people.

My reaction as well. I have no problem with the front of the M3. It just blatantly states, this is an electric car, no grill is necessary to cover something ugly like a radiator. It takes getting used to, however. I think we will eventually feel better about it, like some music. I don't like Mozart, for example, after reading something Bernard Shaw said in one of his plays, "the reason it's so boring in Heaven is that they play Mozart all the time." I'm sure if I listened to Mozart enough I might like it or at least understand, but I've never taken the time. Brahms I already know is orgiastic with filagree ad infinitum until you think he can't get out of it, and then the guy ends it appropriately. Oh!

This is one of the things we all need to have a greater appreciation for (even bulls, yes!).

snip

Maybe some sovereign wealth funds interested in divesting from fossil fuels will lend money as a loan, the factories being built themselves can be collateral.

Maybe something else...

In any case, please don't bog yourselves down with capital raise concerns. Leave Elon to figure it out. Take it easy.

Great ideas.

Check out the business section of today's (4-2) New York Times. The Saudi King's son is trying (at last) to diversify the economy through their Public Wealth Fund. A two trillion dollar contribution is to come from 5% of the sale proceeds of Saudi Aramco. The idea is to attract foreign investment to their country in alternative industries. What about a Tesla factory or so financed there by this fund? I mean another Giga and another Fremont.

But when is 'eventually'? I can't see a single reason for traditional advertising in the foreseeable future, I just can't. People LOVE to talk and with everyone so connected to social media....well, just look at what's happened with the Model 3 reservations. Thousands of people lined up around the world! When this car starts hitting the roads and people realize what they'll be getting for the base price...um, yeah... Advertise? What the heck for? Another company would have to come up with a vehicle that either offered the same compelling list of items at a lower price, or a better list of compelling items at the same price for Tesla to have to start flogging the ads. I don't see that company or product yet - not even in a concept - but maybe I've missed it?

I think you're right. There may be some empirical data to support this. It's my understanding word-of-mouth is the best way to predict a movie's popularity, for example.

Reactions: Lessmog
Yep. For an interesting case of a company working on a different market segment, BYD is quite successfully taking leadership in the city bus market. (I expect school buses and charter buses will be next.) Proterra and New Flyer offer competition, but BYD is currently ahead.

For another example, there's a race to win the electric motorcyle market. At the moment I think Zero is winning but it's still a tight race with a couple of competitors.

Nobody's made inroads into the panel van market and it's a no-brainer.

The pickup market is *wide open* and Tesla seems to be too busy to move in on it yet, though Musk has mentioned plans...
I used to be a BYD investor. But watch out, if Tesla decides to produce buses (it's only a matter of when), everyone else has to step aside. No matter how much lead they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.