Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see this posted here. A long note from Pacific Crest.
Tesla Motors: ‘Too Few Fundamental Upside Scenarios For Our Taste’

"Tesla reported Q1 deliveries below expectations, driven by parts shortages from suppliers for the Model X. While the shortfall appears one-time in nature, it highlights the difficulty of ramping a new car, which could carry risk to delivering the Model 3 on time and within budget in the future. Given the current optimistic sentiment built into the name from Model 3 and our views of mixed demand trends for its current products, we continue to struggle with fundamental upside scenarios on the name and remain Sector Weight…

Model S orders appear curiously strong. While the company called out Model S orders as having increased 43% y/y in the quarter, we have struggled to reconcile this apparent strength when triangulating three things: (1) deliveries were only up 23% y/y (and down 28% sequentially), (2) Model S production run rates have not increased since the past quarter and (3) our checks indicate that lead times for the S remain roughly four weeks (as of last week). We’re not suggesting that demand for Model S is declining; however, given that the company just did 12,420 vehicles in Q1 on just over 50,000 last year, we think demand for Model S is showing signs of plateauing from a run-rate perspective.

Model X shortfall is production-related, but our demand concerns persist. Our latest checks…indicated that Model X conversion rates were likely below plan, which was at least partially being driven by the lack of showroom models. While time will tell if getting showroom models in the coming month or two will help conversion, the feedback we’ve gotten from sales centers continues to indicate soft overall Model X demand and orders, which has been a concern for us on the name. Tesla roller coaster to continue in the near term. While we’d expect another positive Model 3 reservation update by Wednesday from the CEO, we continue to struggle with the fundamental upside case for Tesla given its recent rally. The Model 3 is clearly going to continue to garner a lot of enthusiasm and interest, in our view; however, with significant challenges to work through over the next two years, as illustrated by today’s most recent shortfall, we think further volatility is inevitable with frothy sentiment leaving too few fundamental upside scenarios for our taste in the name."

China will not offer anything significant. Google tried, Facebook tried, Tesla tried. It's not easy to do business there. They force Tesla to have a 50/50 joint venture. I don't think that's right. Tesla is doing something good for the humanity. China is worried about their own car companies.
It would be 51/49, with China being the 51. That's the de facto rule.

Any reason not to simply go for India then ? plenty of people there and from what I recall reading, they seemed to be much more open to Tesla than China
Sadly, India doesn't have the infrastructure ready.

Chinese market is potentially bigger and to alleviate some of the tariffs/additional 'fees' in China one must manufacture there.

It's all about the incentives, if China doesn't bend, there's no need to yield to all their demands. China will always be there, it's not like that market will go away. Build it in India and sell it to the Chinese. Geographically India sits between Europe, southeast Asoa, China and Japan. But yes, ideally the Chinese market is much bigger, but at $35k there will be plenty of buyers regardless where Tesla puts its factory.

So here's a big chunk of speculation, what if Tesla is the first US company to manufacture in China without a partner?
Not going to happen. I watch these things closely. Tesla will get a partner. Nobody can make decisions in China. They end up following the rules - which says foreign car companies have to have a 50/50 partner. It's ridiculers to limit Tesla like this. What they should do is to buy 15% Tesla shares from the open market, then let Tesla work alone.

It's all about the incentives, if China doesn't bend, there's no need to yield to all their demands. China will always be there, it's not like that market will go away. Build it in India and sell it to the Chinese. Geographically India sits between Europe, southeast Asoa, China and Japan. But yes, ideally the Chinese market is much bigger, but at $35k there will be plenty of buyers regardless where Tesla puts its factory.

Well China will end up building more of its own electric cars, but I agree with you, plenty of work for Tesla to deliver cars in current markets and recently announced markets (SK, NZ, SA...), don't want to spread too thin either.

Plus there are already people in China buying Teslas, less than if they didnt pay so much tax, but then would the increase in sale offset the loss of 51% of all futur sale revenues in China? So long as Tesla is production constrained, I would think the answer is no.

image.png image.png
It would be 51/49, with China being the 51. That's the de facto rule.

Sadly, India doesn't have the infrastructure ready.

It depends where in India.. Some of the world's brightest minds are in India. There is already a high English speaking population there along with engineers starving for work.

Any reason not to simply go for India then ? plenty of people there and from what I recall reading, they seemed to be much more open to Tesla than China

South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Africa, Austalia and New Zealand could all be served by that same factory to limit shipping fees too.
China charges big tax if the Tesla car is built outside of China. And the EVs have to be manufactured inside China to get the incentives, which is a huge amount. As far as I know, doing business in India is even more difficult than in China. I could be wrong. At least, if you do business in China, you can hire the son or daughter of a high level guy, then lots of your obstacles will disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.