Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon is talking at the SpaceX CRS-8 Post-launch news Conference right now. All you gotta do is tune into NASA TV :)

(I doubt he is going to talk about Tesla or the Model 3)

You're right, he didn't talk about Tesla, other than to respond to someone asking how it felt to launch the 3 and land a rocket in the same week. To which he responded (paraphrasing) that it's been a pretty good week. :)

Thanks. I bought 20 contracts, cost $1400. 10 set sell limit @ $2 and 10 set sell limit @ $5. I thought this correction is similar to the one on 03/22 and 03/23, it's $12 drop on 03/23, so I'd try luck by buying cheap weekly by Thursday closing. But unfortunately SP didn't hit $245, so I ended up with ~100% gain. IIRC, there was a downgrade on 03/23 too, we'll see how SP react on next Monday? If there is big gap down to low 240 without good reason, I'll buy calls. On 03/24, there was a big gap down, then up $13 on that day.

I got to congratulate you on having courage to get in on that. I hope you profited. I didn't buy such lottery ticket though. Would've been nice if I did.

Thanks. I bought 20 contracts, cost $1400. 10 set sell limit @ $2 and 10 set sell limit @ $5. I thought this correction is similar to the one on 03/22 and 03/23, it's $12 drop on 03/23, so I'd try luck by buying cheap weekly by Thursday closing. But unfortunately SP didn't hit $245, so I ended up with ~100% gain. IIRC, there was a downgrade on 03/23 too, we'll see how SP react on next Monday? If there is big gap down to low 240 without good reason, I'll buy calls. On 03/24, there was a big gap down, then up $13 on that day.
Great trades. I had similar idea in mind but didnt feel strong enough to buy the puts. Would love to see these kind of short term trades posted sooner during the day.

Congrats to SpaceX!

BMW launches new car-sharing option in Seattle

Car2go has a bigger system, consisting of 750 cars. ReachNow is starting with 370. Car2go covers the whole city. BMW currently excludes Magnolia, West Seattle, and neighborhoods in the south end of the city, though the company says it plans to expand.

BMW is trying to set itself apart, offering bigger cars with more features. There will soon be an option to use ReachNow vehicles to get to and from SeaTac airport, a company official said.

I bought some protective puts this morning when the SP was around $259... next week's $250's. I had stop loss orders on them as we hit $256, and I rode them until we were around $250, figuring we'd hit max pain due to the circumstances today. But then I remembered the SpaceX launch, and I figured there was a possibility of a sympathy SP gain on Monday. So I got rid of them in two batches for a nice about 125-135% gain. Now, that profit wiped out the loss I took in another set of protective puts and a nice chunk more, so I'm happy. I still have core shares and June options.

We are in a dangerous time for the next couple of weeks at least. I hope the China news helps, but honestly I'm happy if we go up, I'm happy if we go down. I think I'm happier if we go down so I have a clearer re-entry point, as going up would have paper profits but I'm not sure I can re-enter yet.

One thing I've learned is actually how slow the movements can be, and how much pre-positioning with options is not always very fruitful. I'm trying to get better at understanding what to do *after* news has come out.

Weekend tesla related investment idea: hope its ok to post, If not please delete.
Hmglf - pure energy mineral - so I've watched this Tesla's Lithium supplier penny stock for a week and it went up more than 10%. Looks like they just got a permit of some sort for a new nevada mine. Tsla would need a huge amount of Lithium in 2 years for model 3 and these guys will stand to benefit as they are contracted and only located 3.5 hours away from gigafactory. Im seriouly considering putting some 5% lottery ticket in hmglf. Started doing some research. Anyone here invest in Lithium miners or understand their business and the huge lithium needs due to the inevitable EV boom replacing ICE?

Yes, he tweeted it, but later removed the tweet. He emphasized however that it wil still go live on Monday.

I found the tweet back in Google's cache.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2016-04-09 om 10.39.30.png
    Schermafbeelding 2016-04-09 om 10.39.30.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 119
I'm just waiting for the bears to call out this Musk/ Telsa/ SpaceX hype train as it is clear that SpaceX missed the landing. The X was painted right in the middle and you can see that the rocket landed AT LEAST 2 METERS AWAY.

Pretty awesome. For me, at least, there is a halo effect as I am reminded again at the type of organization the Elon builds and manages. Yes, some of the Model 3 details may/need to change between announcement and launch, but you can be assured that Tesla will deliver a product so advanced of any alternative that there really isn't an alternative.
Or are you just saying that because your name was mentioned during the countdown at the half minute mark? ;)

Standpoint is causing this stock to stand at a point of ~$250 for the remainder of the day. Hooray for rehashed FUD from websites built like its still 1995. $250 is max pain, baby! Can you feel it?!

The bombastic and seemingly orchestrated manner in which Standpoint's Ronnie Moas regurgitated old FUD on CNBC, after ignoring TSLA for several years, makes one wonder if a large client (or several) who is heavily short TSLA insisted that Moas berate TSLA in a public forum, if their business relationship were to be maintained.

It's interesting that this occurred on a Friday when weekly options expire with Max Pain at $250. That's another reminder to trade the stock and not the options.

I couldn't disagree more.

Buy and hold the stock. Trade the options.

If you want to lower your risk on options, buy with a longer expiration date - like 12 months out. Combine that with options that are deeper in the money and you can lower your risk and still have some additional leverage.

As a holder of the stock, you should be a long term bull. There's a lot to be excited about.

As a shorter term trader of options, you can allow smaller term waves to allow you to profit on pull backs as well as upswings while still holding the stock.

Weekend tesla related investment idea: hope its ok to post, If not please delete.
Hmglf - pure energy mineral - so I've watched this Tesla's Lithium supplier penny stock for a week and it went up more than 10%. Looks like they just got a permit of some sort for a new nevada mine. Tsla would need a huge amount of Lithium in 2 years for model 3 and these guys will stand to benefit as they are contracted and only located 3.5 hours away from gigafactory. Im seriouly considering putting some 5% lottery ticket in hmglf. Started doing some research. Anyone here invest in Lithium miners or understand their business and the huge lithium needs due to the inevitable EV boom replacing ICE?

Some discussion of Pure Energy Minerals and other potential resource investments can be found here:
The Resource Angle

Reactions: Xpert
The bombastic and seemingly orchestrated manner in which Standpoint's Ronnie Moas regurgitated old FUD on CNBC, after ignoring TSLA for several years, makes one wonder if a large client (or several) who is heavily short TSLA insisted that Moas berate TSLA in a public forum, if their business relationship were to be maintained.
IN the short space of time I've been following this thread I've learned not to waste time reading or listening to these collective clowns (CNBC Barrons Fool) etc who seem to rely on rounding up the school of fish syndrome wether or not the fish are there or not, Is this where you colonials and mother bear :) says "I smell molasses"

• Funny
Reactions: Intl Professor
As a shorter term trader of options, you can allow smaller term waves to allow you to profit on pull backs as well as upswings while still holding the stock.

Or more likely:
As a shorter term trader of options, you can allow smaller term waves to allow you to LOSE MONEY on pull backs as well as upswings while still holding the stock.

Buyers of options are more often retail speculators, and they generally lose. The erosion of the time premium of an option is the big headwind, not to mention emotions. Writers (original sellers) of options are more often the market makers or hedge funds, and they generally win.

I continually get private messages from TMC forum members crying about losses from options trading. My usual suggestion to them is to hold the stock for the long term, or stay away from it and options. Hence the sentence I included in my post made yesterday.

To some degree I agree with your full reply to a small portion of my post of yesterday. Thank you for causing me to reflect upon my words. I should not have used the word TRADE in a sentence within that post. I should have phased it, "That's another reminder to OWN the stock and not the WEEKLY options."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.