Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Utilities provide an essential service... For now.

It just sucks living in one of the most expensive areas for electricity. I will definitely be going solar and power-wall to reduce my exposure.
I went solar and guess what - they don't let you go over 120% of past 12 months usage. How ridiculous is that!! If I was on vacation overseas for couple of months the past year and now I have added to family and got an EV I am not allowed to cross the 120% yet. Well actually I was able to sneak in 160% past them (my installer did some shenanigans, but most other companies won't). Now after doing that I am adding two more panels hitting up against a second rule they have - you can only augment your system by 10% max else you got to do a fresh NEM agreement(for most practical PV array sizes that would come to just one solar panel!). I am using loopholes to hopefully sneak in two panels and get approval stating nom optimal panel placement.. It's sad they would try to put hurdles on solar installation. Their TOU rates are absolutely BS too!! Gahhh I hate SDGE.

View attachment 173840 I haven't seen this posted.
10 Charts That Will Have You Rethinking Tesla's Model 3

Quite interesting and telling in my view. Worth reading, not long.

Perhaps but this is an ICE-Industry centric metric and not what customers value. It is an artificial false and misleading metric because adding a gallon of capacity to a fuel tank lets any ICE vehicle win for now.

What matters to consumers is total cost of ownership expressed in monthly household cost of car ownership.

On that metric the table will rearrange but all of the ICE vehicles costing more than $20,000-$25K (without including the effect of incentives) arrange themselves neatly as more expensive than a base Tesla Model 3 and given the horrible resale values of compliance type EVs, all of the so called competing EVs including Bolt will be considerably more expensive for families (or fleets) to own too - while the Model e provides the owner in most cases with a much nicer car in their driveway without at least doubling or tripping the monthly cost of running a gasoline car with typical routine maintenance and non-warranty repairs.

With $7500 of incentives it's a wipe-out on the basis of TCO right down to the $15K-$20K level assuming your credit will hold for a $35K vehicle loan.

With a mid-ownership update of early Tesla Model 3 to full Autonomy, wipe-out does not begin to describe it. Total Cost Of ownership will be do an 180 to Total Profit of Ownership.

Last edited:
Reactions: StapleGun
Agreed. Although it seems Breakeven point for Oncor was $350KWh per this article (Why Tesla Batteries Are Cheap Enough To Prevent New Power Plants) so count utility companies out for a while.
By the way i have not seen a real use case cost analysis for those low hanging fruits, feel free to enlighten us.

You were looking at this article, right? How Storage Can Help Get Rid of Peaker Plants

Here is critical quote:
"Using assumptions taken from a recent California Energy Commission (CEC) study, our analysis found a levelized cost of generation for the simple cycle gas-fired peaker plant of $492 per megawatt-hour (MWh),..."

My previous post shows that price is $166 per MWh used, and then with efficiency adjustment(that others calculated) it's around $200. This price is competitive right now.

There is confusion here that some studies discuss price of storage in KWh, and others price of produced KWh. Difference is of course that 1 Powerpack has 100KWh, but if you think of it as a bucket, you can fill it and empty it for 10+ years, so produced capacity is much greater.

Last edited:
Reactions: StapleGun
Since it is my feeling that a cash raise (for quicker model 3 production) would be a positive catalyst and most people feel (myself included) that Q1ER might be a negative catalyst I am trying to see the EM/TM reason for waiting to raise cash. I thought when we hit $260..or even now in the mid 250s might be a good time.
IMO that's currently the big question, will they do it sooner or later. The best way to do this would be to do something to trigger a short squeeze, then do the raise. Julian said that Elon has done that before. So if they believe that they have enough ammunition at the Q1 ER-CC it would make sense to fire those bullets then, and announce the raise, possibly in June.

Elon's "autonomous", "not exactly a bus" comments in Norway might be an indication that they are planning to do that:
Elon Musk teases a new autonomous ‘Tesla Mobility’ service
We have an idea for something which is not exactly a bus, but would solve the density problem in intercity situations. I think we need to rethink the whole concept of public transport and create something that people are actually gonna like a lot more. I don’t want to talk too much about it.
I haven't seen this posted.
10 Charts That Will Have You Rethinking Tesla's Model 3. Quite interesting and telling in my view. Worth reading, not long.
His worries about production "every time EM announces a car it's late" are a perfect example of why I think the MX problems will cause, and to a lesser extent, are currently causing an opportunity, because those problems hid the big improvement in Tesla's ability to ramp car production. Tesla has produced 750 MX's in one week six month's after the MX Launch. How long did it take Tesla to produce 750 MS's in one week after the MS Launch? Most of the MS slowness is due to the fact it was the first car they built themselves. The MX problems were due to the complexity of the MX. I think they have learned from these experiences, so I think investing (using options, carefully) before the M3 Launch, will be very profitable.

Exactly! You start by picking the low hanging fruit! Then you expand the scope of your operation, and maybe eventually to do that you need to come down in price. But by then you've also come down in cost, thanks to economies of scale (think multiple Gigafactories -- the Gigafactory as a product) and thanks to better battery technology.

I believe that the actual product is the first GF Production Line (GFPL1), utilizing Custom Cell Manufacturing Equipment. Tesla and Panasonic will be using custom cell manufacturing equipment at the GF, and that will have a big impact on the cost reductions.

Elon Musk - Chairman and CEO
In your question you had [indiscernible] should be corrected, like the -- so the 30% savings is not just due to logistics. Logistics is a big factor. We are --
JB Straubel - Chief Technology Officer
It's not even the biggest though.
Elon Musk - Chairman and CEO
Logistics [indiscernible] the fact that it's just go to one station to the next instead of going from multiple entities to multiple entities. But really when you get to the kinds of scale that we're talking about, you really get to design custom equipment that's much better at processing each step. And you really get to design the machine that makes the machine, not just do so with off-the-shelf equipment. So it took -- everything about it is going to get a whole lot better. That's why we think the 30% number when the Giga Factory is at full production is a conservative number.
Several implications of that:
Colocation and the use of custom equipment and getting good prices on raw materials are the main reasons for the GF cost reductions.
Designing and building the custom equipment only make sense financially because of the massive scale of the GF, (they need to build more than one of these production lines). I believe that this equipment is designed and optimized to be used in integrated production lines. The first line will be GF Production Line 1. As soon as that’s completed and working satisfactorally, they will start be able to start producing more production lines. These can be installed anywhere that Tesla needs a multiple of one or more of the number of cells as GF Phase One. In other words the major product is not GF1, it’s GF Production Line 1 (GFPL1). This has huge implications for the flexibility of setting up smaller factories, or setting up factories in phases to obtain most of the cost benefits of a 35-50 gWh factory. It means that the GFPL1 will capture most of the cost benefits of the completed GF, and that for example Panasonic will be able to set up factories in Japan using the GFPL equipment.

I think that it’s pretty clear the idea to use customized equipment was Tesla’s idea, and that Panasonic’s hesitancy to invest ended when they were convinced that a 30% cost reduction was a conservative number.

Tesla confident that Gigafactory can hit the magic number: $100/kWh - Metro Plugin, Atlanta GA Electric Vehicle Charging Station Installation & Sales
First, the 30% cut in battery pack costs that Tesla is projecting is not the company’s ultimate goal, but rather the minimum that it expects to achieve in the first year of Model 3 production. According to the Fool, partner Panasonic agrees that a 30% reduction by 2017 is a conservative prediction.
<snip>
Of course, optimistic predictions are a lot cheaper than $100/kWh, and it’s still possible that the Gig will cost much more, and/or take much longer to build, than expected. The Motley Fool, however, is reassured by the fact that Panasonic, which it says is “arguably more knowledgeable and experienced regarding lithium-ion production than any company in the world,” has committed to invest between $1.2 billion and $1.6 billion in the venture.

And so I disagree with your premise that they are either behind schedule or having problems with Panasonic.
I summarize my view for this regard in another post Some views on current price action. I summarize again here, TM needs to settle down the GF (foundation of M3 battery) investment and partnership before raising capital raise for M3. So anything related to that could spark the bullish run towards the M3 capital raise.

Last edited:
Feels to me no one is making real comparison. Cost for 1MWh of Tesla storage (not for consumed 1MWh) with 500KW power is $607,000 (10 powerpacks and 2x250KW inverters Build your Powerpack Energy Storage Solution | Tesla Motors)

Remember, 1MWh of Tesla storage will over its lifespan of 10 years produce at least 1MWhx365x10 = 3650MWh
Did you remember to deduct the price of the power used to fill the powerpacks (batteries produce zero power).

Nice read. I'm especially interested in this sentence:

I couldn't find the original source from BNEF. Anyone else?

I think that all of the estimates of both cell level and pack level costs are just that - estimates. It is closely guarded proprietory Tesla information. According to the Credit Suisse "Tesla - Not a Fair Fight" report issued on August 13 of 2014, the 2015 pack cost for Model S was pinned to $245 (see a page from the report with my highlights in yellow and orange).

I believe that Credit Suisse is closer to the actual cost than the Bloomberg number. During the Q1 ER call Elon indicated that TE gross margin on originally low volume would be "relatively low", and, much more tentative in terms of the margin once the GF production scales up, saying: "Once we get Gigafactory up and running, and high volume and get the economies of scale working, this is just a guess, right now, but I mean, like, maybe it's somewhere around 20% because this is not like – it's like we just don't have enough information to say exactly what that would be. But probably 20% is a reasonable guess."

Just days before this report Elon tweeted about PowerPack pricing to be at $250/kWh. From my point of view, when nominal profit is set at 20%, "relatively low" profit would be less than 5%. The Bloomberg pack level cost yields 250 / 220 -1 =13.64%, while Credit Suisse pack level cost yields 250 / 245 -1 = 2%. I believe that Credit Suisse cost of $245/kWh is closer to Tesla's actual cost than the Bloomberg $220/kWh.

Snap140.png

Last edited:
I think that the PowerPack pricing reveal will prove to be a huge catalyst for the SP. The remarkable difference in price quoted by Elon about a year ago ($250/kWh) and actual price of PowerPacks included on the Energy page of the Tesla's website ($470) is an indication of a very significant change in strategy. As I speculated up-thread, it seems that the strategy now is to have approximately the same gross margin per the kWh of batteries for TE as for Tesla Automotive (TA).

The implications of this are huge. During the Q1 2015 ER call both Elon and JB alluded to the fact that the demand for batteries for TE could be at least equal to the demand for TA, and, based on this, they are considering increasing their planned GF 1 production by at least 50%.

There is a hugely important conclusion from the above, namely that value of TE business is at least equal to the value of TA business, and it is NOT currently priced into the SP.

I think that TE conversation will dominate the Q1 ER call. I also think that Friday's run-up was due to the PowerPack pricing reveal, and we will see more of the same next week.

Last edited:
You were looking at this article, right? How Storage Can Help Get Rid of Peaker Plants

Here is critical quote:
"Using assumptions taken from a recent California Energy Commission (CEC) study, our analysis found a levelized cost of generation for the simple cycle gas-fired peaker plant of $492 per megawatt-hour (MWh),..."

My previous post shows that price is $166 per MWh used, and then with efficiency adjustment(that others calculated) it's around $200. This price is competitive right now.

There is confusion here that some studies discuss price of storage in KWh, and others price of produced KWh. Difference is of course that 1 Powerpack has 100KWh, but if you think of it as a bucket, you can fill it and empty it for 10+ years, so produced capacity is much greater.
Thanks! That was whats wrong, we were comparing storage cost/capacity vs. cost/KWh produced, which didnt make sense!

When we trade or invest in a stock, there are two pieces important information: intrinsic value and where the stock price is going. None of the five guys know the intrinsic value of Tesla yet they talked like they know.

Lots of people are over-rated in the investment world. On average, fund managers earn $30 million a year. Yet only 1% fund can beat S&P in the very long-term. Buffett challenged the hedge fund world to find a list of 5 great hedge funds. He bet the S&P500 index would win a 10 year race. The index beat the 5 selected hedge funds so much that they terminated the race early. This video is a prime example. If someone can get right 75% of the time, he can become a trillionaire with leverage or by running a hedge fund. So far I haven't seen a trillionaire yet. It's not easy.

Standpoint was wrong on Amazon, that might shed a light on why they couldn't understand Tesla. TSLA could go lower on technicals, or a market pullback, or a temporary manufacturing glitch. It could rally again due to other reasons such as continued short squeeze, or positive cash flow, or other major development. Regardless of the out come, he doesn't get my respect because of his reasoning. I hope there is a big pullback. I am ready to buy more.
I just watched a video how a model X beat a Ferrari F430 in drag racing and roll racing. That's a 7-seats SUV weights almost 3 tons, beat an expensive 2-seat race car. I don't need to mention the huge difference in safety, utility, autopilot, etc.
In the Standpoint video, there was a famous fund manager, who manages $40B, said he buys Ferrari stock (P/E 28) because he heard an used Ferrari sold for huge amount of money, and a few other reasons. The Ferrari age is clearly coming to an end. The Ferrari owner saw what's coming, that's probably why he listed the company to get rid of some shares. These ICE super cars are having hard time racing against Tesla's SUV, imagine what happens when the new Tesla Roadster comes out.

image.png

Here is critical quote:

For apple to apple comparison, Here are the assumptions used in the article in 2011 on gas peaker plant vs. lead battery. Need to replace lead battery column with powerpack cost for a realistic comparison. Natural gas was price has doubled since 2011 i think. Any taker?

View attachment 173865
For apple to apple comparison, Here are the assumptions used in the article in 2011 on gas peaker plant vs. lead battery. Need to replace lead battery column with powerpack cost for a realistic comparison. Natural gas was price has doubled since 2011 i think. Any taker?
Off my cuff, and I just woke up, and I know nothing really:
I very much doubt that a 200 MWh Pb battery lasts 20 years. Or is regular swaps calculated in here? Hmm.

For those not familiar with Goldman Sachs methodology in their original report, they came up with five scenarios for the future Tesla business and assigned probabilities for each scenario as a weight factors to arrive at their PT.

The original report was actually fairly detailed and allows any user to play with it by assigning various weight factors to each of the scenarios. They also had a Grid Storage option adder to the PT. Just for everybody's fun, attached is a page from their March 18, 2014 report (with my highlights in yellow), which allows anybody to play with their model by assigning probabilities that are different than the ones used by GS.

Five cases:
  • Elon as a Steve Jobs (iPhone case)
  • Elon as a Henry Ford (Ford Model T Case)
  • Elon as Maytag Repairman
  • Base Case
  • Downside case
Snap1.png

How Much Storage Does Tesla Expect to Sell to SolarCity in 2016?

In a new, free research note, published today, GTM Research estimates that Tesla will sell 168.5 megawatt-hours of energy storage systems to SolarCity this year. That's more than six times what Tesla sold to SolarCity in 2015, according to the same note.

Excluding the 52 megawatt-hour solar-plus-storage project in KIUC territory in Hawaii, Tesla's expected 116.5 megawatt-hours will be 60 percent larger than the entire 2015 U.S. behind-the-meter market.

Status
Not open for further replies.