Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guidance is owed to Longs etc.

OK I think it is possible to start getting some clarity from following this trail.

As touched on before it is weird to guide longs to building factory capacity etc when you don't yet have the money to execute.

In fact it is not even guidance in the classic sense of the term. This is actually stated in the form of an investor pitch which says: "If we had the money, this is what we would like to spend it on". Before the answer to that is known, and known to be a yes, then naturally prior guidance remains unchanged. You can't guide shareholders to a changed business plan when the change in the business plan is predicated on securing money from the shareholders. It's a circular argument, not guidance.

As previously discussed it was a huge advantage for Tesla to retain its Q3 and Q4 FCF and profit guidance (issued on Q4 '15 ER during Q1) because this of course is what Tesla actually is offering to the Shareholders when pitching for more cash.

This is basic Dragon's Den and Shark Tank stuff: "Don't sell me a share of what the business is going to look like after you have my money because you don't have that to offer. Sell me a share of what you as a business are offering me as an potential investor. What do you have now and what are your current projections and then tell me what you want in return for a share of that? After you have done that, tell me how I am going to see a return on my money assuming I say yes."

Now in the case of Tesla. Selling a picture of the business in 2016 without the new money in it (and hence no accelerated spending) was actually a much better investment pitch to the markets than the picture of the business after presuming the new money was in it and hence the spending - money that on face value that isn't there yet. There was simply no advantage from a stock market fundraising perspective to state this post-funding version of the investing pitch as guidance.

I don't know about anyone else but what I see here is one of those things that makes a person feel more stupid the more they think about it (at least without changing the frame of reference). Considering this business is not known for low intellect management is vastly more likely in my opinion that there is something else going on here. Something unseen. A hidden hand.

Someone asked up-thread if it would have been honest of Musk to pretend that Q3 and Q4 guidance still stood knowing that he planned to spend lots of money. Well the answer to that is yes because pre-funding it's the way it is. Moreover he would have been having an integrity problem to guide to spending money he didn't have UNLESS he already knew exactly where the money was coming from on the ER call.

There is no other rational explanation I can decipher for Musk's behavior here unless there is some other form of funding that Musk is VERY confident about independently of any need to pander to Wall Street or the stock market. There effectively must be another source of funding essentially secured already. A White Swan with somewhere between eight and nine zeros attached inbound at terminal velocity that has nothing to do with asking the public markets for cash. Musk has already told the markets what will happen, if he needed to ask the markets he would have had to pick a moment to ask, and not tell on an ER call in the form of guidance.

Gentlemen, Either Musk has gone soft (unlikely) or there is inbound ballistic ordinance for the shorts that was inbound before Q1 ER. Something like an endowment from Larry and Sergey or a closed bond funding round with DFJ and Fidelity.

Suggest it is probably not the worst idea to place bets accordingly in a logic dictates kind of a way.

JC

Last edited:
First they gave up FCF positive as a goal and consider it "aspiration" in Q3 2015. In Q4 2015 ER they said don't expect Q1 FCF positive, but March could be. However, this is including their ABL of about $400M.

Second $1.6B capex was Q4 2015 guidance. They just raised it by 50%, but anticipate most of the increase would be in H2.

Third, Model X had about -4% gross margin (they gave the ASP for both, numbers sold for both, overall GM, using 26% GM for Model S, you get the GM for Model X), this resulted in about $125M unplanned loss conpared to if they achieved 26% GM on Model X too.

Lastly, TE contributed onel $10M revenue and maybe 1 or 2 M gross profit at most. I think this missed the mark too.

So going back to 2015 Q2 when they were looking for close to breakeven in Q4, what needed to happen to achieve this?

Was ABL always included in the FCF guidance even back in Q2 2015? That would explain some of it. Link? I thought counting ABL and the new "cash flow from core operations" was only from Q4 2015.

I know they just raised capex by 50%. I am saying going back to Q2/Q3 2015 when they were looking for Q1 FCF positive, they were anticipating around $400M in capex per quarter I believe.

For Model X margins, shouldn't they have anticipated low margins in their original Q4 and Q1 FCF+ guidance? It was always expected that initial ramp won't have high margins. I do not think they were expecting 26% GM on Model X for their FCF+ in Q1.

Was ABL always included in the FCF guidance even back in Q2 2015? That would explain some of it. Link? I thought counting ABL and the new "cash flow from core operations" was only from Q4 2015.

Yeah this can't be right. Going back to Q2/Q3 in 2015 the guidance was always for free cash flow, which is just cash flow from operations minus capex. Only in Q4 did we have the new metric of "cash flow from core operations" that takes into account for ABL, which was not part of any guidance, but just to give investors a better idea of the business.

So going back to 2015 Q2 when they were looking for close to breakeven in Q4, what needed to happen to achieve this?

I know they just raised capex by 50%. I am saying going back to Q2/Q3 2015 when they were looking for Q1 FCF positive, they were anticipating around $400M in capex per quarter I believe.

For Model X margins, shouldn't they have anticipated low margins in their original Q4 and Q1 FCF+ guidance? It was always expected that initial ramp won't have high margins. I do not think they were expecting 26% GM on Model X for their FCF+ in Q1.
The ABL was a new thing from Q4 2015, never existed before. Details see their Q4 2015 letter. And the FCF expectations before Q4 2015 never included this.

I also think they were not expecting 400m capex Q1 at any given time, as I remember they said capex would start to tune down beginning Q4 2015 in Q3 or even Q2 2014 ER, because they anticipated capex for Model X ramp up would be finished in Q4 2015 the latest so Q1 2016 shouldn't be as high as 400m, even Q4 2015 would have been much smaller if they have not did retooling for the Model X production.

And for Model X margin, yes they wouldn't possibility think they would achieved 26% GM this early. But I believe they wasn't expecting this low either. Using the Model S as reference, the third quarter GM since Model S first shipped was 15%.

So back to your question about the missing 400M gap in FCF for Q1, it is mainly because you need to include the ABL given their most up to date guidance. Low margins on Model X also harmed quite a bit. As for forecasting Q4 2015 FCF positive back a year ago (or was it a year and a quarter? Can't remember). I think they were not expecting Model X delayed this long and got this many issues to fix. I think their initial 55k guidance for 2015 included around 40-45k Model S and 10-15k Model X. But it didn't turn out this way so they started the series of referral programs and other measures to stimulate Model S demand to compensate the missing X.

• Informative
Reactions: dakh
Yeah this can't be right. Going back to Q2/Q3 in 2015 the guidance was always for free cash flow, which is just cash flow from operations minus capex. Only in Q4 did we have the new metric of "cash flow from core operations" that takes into account for ABL, which was not part of any guidance, but just to give investors a better idea of the business.
Yes and if the Model X ramp up was smooth, it would be quite easy to be FCF positive Q1 2016 without the ABL given the following:

Model S 12k, ASP $100k, GM 26%, SG&A $16.5k (this was quite stable throughout 2014 and 2015), net profit before RND $114M
Model X 7k (2015 Q3 2.5k, Q4 5k, 2016 Q1 7k is kind of a low assumption already under a smooth ramp up scenario), ASP $115k, GM 21%, SG&A $16.5k, net profit before RND $53.5M.
Total profit from cars before RND $167.5M
Net profit from services and others could have been about $20M bring total profit before RND close to $190M
RND in Q1 2016 $150M, leaving $40M.
They started hoarding up ZEV credits (Q3 2015 letter said not anticipating selling ZEV, Q4 2015 actual revenue from ZEV $10M) and it scales with cars sold at a rate around $3.4M/k of cars so Q4 2015 and Q1 2016 cars could mount up to 36k cars for $120M.

So that brings a total of $160M net profit versus about $200M capex. But since they have a lot of freedom in capex between Model X ramp up and Model 3 preparation, and they could be more efficient in SG&A per car than the assumptions above, they can get FCF positive in Q1 2016 with not much difficulty.

If the Model X ramp up had been smooth.

Weekend OT

Honda touts radical assembly line makeover

AR-160509914.jpg

TOKYO -- In old school auto assembly plants, cars inch through work stations as people plop in parts and wait for the next car.

Now Honda Motor Co., in its quest for ever-better efficiency, has turned that model on its head in its newest assembly line.

The fresh approach has a team of workers follow the car down the line, with the workers and vehicle sitting on disc shaped platforms like frogs floating down a river on a lily pad.

Honda dubs it an ARC line, short for assembly revolution cell.

The new line, which began running in March at Honda’s newly opened Prachinburi assembly plant in Thailand, is cheaper to install, uses less manpower and is more efficient to operate.

In Thailand, teams of four people doing final assembly work travel with a vehicle as it snakes through a U-shaped line.

Parts and people are loaded aboard the conveyor at the start of the U. After they move around the loop, the empty parts boxes are taken off, and the workers hop off. They then walk across to the starting point and climb aboard with their next vehicle.

In Thailand, they make the Civic sedan.

The process cuts unnecessary worker movement back and forth from parts racks and divides the car into quarters, assigning one worker responsibility for all processes in a certain area.

Much more in link

Insiders (Exec. Officers & Directors)............-38,711,940

I will leave the rest to the imagination of the reader...

The proxy states the O&D share count includes "options exercisable within 60 days after December 31, 2015." As those options are exercised, the shares outstanding increase one for one.

For instance: Elon Musk's count is 37,193.974 shares, but the footnote explains:

" Includes 28,371,342 shares held of record by the Elon Musk Revocable Trust dated July 22, 2003; and 8,822,632 shares issuable to Mr. Musk upon exercise of options exercisable within 60 days after December 31, 2015. Includes 9,420,113 shares pledged as collateral to secure certain personal indebtedness."

As of 12/31/15, he had 6.7 million options with a strike price of $6.63 which lapse on 12/3/16. IIRC he has exercised about 0.7 million since the beginning of the year. He will need close to $700 million to exercise those grants before they expire since Tesla collects employment and income taxes on the bargain value of the transaction before issuing the shares.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
I agree 100%. I had NO PLAN to add to my core shares because I'm already too heavy in Tesla. But as an investor, you have to constantly re-assess with new data. The ER call, with the announcement that the Tesla timeline to high volume sales has been moved up two years, in combination with the drop in SP thanks to all the Cramer's of Wall Street, have delivered a gift that any short or long term trader simply can not pass up. I took $400,000 I just got from a real estate deal, and bought almost 2,000 shares today. This is a no brainer. When it goes back up to 260, I will have made enough money on today's trade to pay for my wife's Model X. Thank you Cramer and company!!!
P.S. - at this point, unless something dramatic happens, I will keep these shares as well at least until 5/2018. Should be worth at least double by then. By 2020, the shares I bought today alone might have increased in value enough to pay my mortgage off. I love the Bears!
So that explains it - it was you who single-handedly pushed the stock from 208 to 216 and set a bottom today :)

Just generally about the ABL ($1billion Asset Backed Loan Facility - aka revolving line of bank credit)

They want investors to consider a management accounts view of the use of ABL funds. Basically advanced cash flow on goods in transit for cars that are shipping to order - and to consider the interest charges in transit as a component of COGS. (Cost Of Goods Sold). The ABL interest rate is extremely low, about 2.9% fully drawn down and interest is only payable on the amount drawn upon. When the total account balance is $0.00 there is no interest to pay. So a $100K car that costs $75K to build may attract another circa $181 of interest in transit before the $75K of ABL drawings are settled by the overseas customer's cash on receipt of the vehicle a month later. Tesla wants investors to look at that as $75,181 as total COGS and of course if they maintain a global gross margin they would charge the equivalent of $100,241 for the car - so the $181 plus 25% profit on the $181 on top of the $100K US price (forgetting for sake of example about any other cost of shipping and export import that is treated like this also)

So long as they do use this ABL facility in this manner as guided and not for general working capital then it is quite a reasonable management accounting view to take of it.

The point of it is to maintain a business model in which cash related to sale of goods arrives in the bank before supplier invoices fall due for bill of materials and services relating to the production of each car. This is really important because it maintains what is a net cash flow positive transaction for the sale of each vehicle.

Most of the capital intensity of growing a manufacturing business is not in plant and machinery. It is in cash sunk into finished goods inventory while waiting for customers to settle credit invoices. Manufacturing business go bust trying to grow or because of larger than usual orders - for this reason more than any other. They effectively have to pay for their own production before they get paid by their customers. This means manufacturers normally end up (in cash flow terms) essentially buying the entire demand of their entire customer base on an ongoing before the sum of their customers do and then having to chase customers for cash a month or more later even assuming all of the customers take delivery of 100% of production immediately. This is why growing a new traditional car maker is unheard of in the 21st Century - because it is too capital intensive - and the incumbents have the advantage of already being there, bought and paid for by the economic disruption of the car itself.

Growing core business of the company on supplier trade credit and customer cash on delivery (or even customer credit in the case of a customer that takes out a vehicle loan) is a completely different animal to trying to grow a manufacturing business where customers including wholesalers and distributors expect the manufacturer to extend credit (on typical 30, 60 or 90 day terms or stock advanced until sold etc). Tesla does not have to get into the business of supplying customer credit because it does not support dealers and its products are sufficiently differentiated that the customers will wait for the cars rather than the cars having to wait on a lot for the customers.

Guidance is owed to Longs etc.

OK I think it is possible to start getting some clarity from following this trail.

As touched on before it is weird to guide longs to building factory capacity etc when you don't yet have the money to execute.

In fact it is not even guidance in the classic sense of the term. This is actually stated in the form of an investor pitch which says: "If we had the money, this is what we would like to spend it on". Before the answer to that is known, and known to be a yes, then naturally prior guidance remains unchanged. You can't guide shareholders to a changed business plan when the change in the business plan is predicated on securing money from the shareholders. It's a circular argument, not guidance.

As previously discussed it was a huge advantage for Tesla to retain its Q3 and Q4 FCF and profit guidance (issued on Q4 '15 ER during Q1) because this of course is what Tesla actually is offering to the Shareholders when pitching for more cash.

This is basic Dragon's Den and Shark Tank stuff: "Don't sell me a share of what the business is going to look like after you have my money because you don't have that to offer. Sell me a share of what you as a business are offering me as an potential investor. What do you have now and what are your current projections and then tell me what you want in return for a share of that? After you have done that, tell me how I am going to see a return on my money assuming I say yes."

Now in the case of Tesla. Selling a picture of the business in 2016 without the new money in it (and hence no accelerated spending) was actually a much better investment pitch to the markets than the picture of the business after presuming the new money was in it and hence the spending - money that on face value that isn't there yet. There was simply no advantage from a stock market fundraising perspective to state this post-funding version of the investing pitch as guidance.

I don't know about anyone else but what I see here is one of those things that makes a person feel more stupid the more they think about it (at least without changing the frame of reference). Considering this business is not known for low intellect management is vastly more likely in my opinion that there is something else going on here. Something unseen. A hidden hand.

Someone asked up-thread if it would have been honest of Musk to pretend that Q3 and Q4 guidance still stood knowing that he planned to spend lots of money. Well the answer to that is yes because pre-funding it's the way it is. Moreover he would have been having an integrity problem to guide to spending money he didn't have UNLESS he already knew exactly where the money was coming from on the ER call.

There is no other rational explanation I can decipher for Musk's behavior here unless there is some other form of funding that Musk is VERY confident about independently of any need to pander to Wall Street or the stock market. There effectively must be another source of funding essentially secured already. A White Swan with somewhere between eight and nine zeros attached inbound at terminal velocity that has nothing to do with asking the public markets for cash. Musk has already told the markets what will happen, if he needed to ask the markets he would have had to pick a moment to ask, and not tell on an ER call in the form of guidance.

Gentlemen, Either Musk has gone soft (unlikely) or there is inbound ballistic ordinance for the shorts that was inbound before Q1 ER. Something like an endowment from Larry and Sergey or a closed bond funding round with DFJ and Fidelity.

Suggest it is probably not the worst idea to place bets accordingly in a logic dictates kind of a way.

JC

I think this is exactly right. Elon has information and weapons in his arsenal that we don't know about. There are more than a couple of White Swans available and he will use them when the time is right. We shouldn't underestimate his resourcefulness.

Reactions: BornToFly and Drax7
Just generally about the ABL ($1billion Asset Backed Loan Facility - aka revolving line of bank credit)

They want investors to consider a management accounts view of the use of ABL funds. Basically advanced cash flow on goods in transit for cars that are shipping to order - and to consider the interest charges in transit as a component of COGS. (Cost Of Goods Sold). The ABL interest rate is extremely low, about 2.9% fully drawn down and interest is only payable on the amount drawn upon. When the total account balance is $0.00 there is no interest to pay.

According to the 10k:

"Borrowed funds bear interest, at our option, at an annual rate of (a) 1% plus LIBOR or (b) the highest of (i) the federal funds rate plus 0.50%, (ii) the lenders “prime rate” or (iii) 1% plus LIBOR. The fee for undrawn amounts is 0.25% per annum. Interest is payable quarterly. The Credit Agreement terminates, and all outstanding loans become due and payable, in June 2020. As of December 31, 2015, we had $135.0 million borrowings under the Credit Facility. "

Yes and if the Model X ramp up was smooth, it would be quite easy to be FCF positive Q1 2016 without the ABL given the following:

Model S 12k, ASP $100k, GM 26%, SG&A $16.5k (this was quite stable throughout 2014 and 2015), net profit before RND $114M
Model X 7k (2015 Q3 2.5k, Q4 5k, 2016 Q1 7k is kind of a low assumption already under a smooth ramp up scenario), ASP $115k, GM 21%, SG&A $16.5k, net profit before RND $53.5M.
Total profit from cars before RND $167.5M
Net profit from services and others could have been about $20M bring total profit before RND close to $190M
RND in Q1 2016 $150M, leaving $40M.
They started hoarding up ZEV credits (Q3 2015 letter said not anticipating selling ZEV, Q4 2015 actual revenue from ZEV $10M) and it scales with cars sold at a rate around $3.4M/k of cars so Q4 2015 and Q1 2016 cars could mount up to 36k cars for $120M.

So that brings a total of $160M net profit versus about $200M capex. But since they have a lot of freedom in capex between Model X ramp up and Model 3 preparation, and they could be more efficient in SG&A per car than the assumptions above, they can get FCF positive in Q1 2016 with not much difficulty.

If the Model X ramp up had been smooth.

Thanks Fallenone. Yes this is what I am referring to.

I went back and listened to both the 2015 Q2 and Q3 CCs to confirm.

During the Q2 CC they guided for $40-50M in TE revenue in Q4, and 10x that in 2016. This shortfall contributed a little like you mentioned, but not much to the end result. They were looking for 15% gross margins, so only $6M-7.5M contribution to cash flow. So this is not the answer.

In the Q2 guidance for full year was already lowered to 50-55k range. They commented that Model X ramp was extremely challenging. Knowing this, their comments on Q4 FCF+ was still that it was "questionable", and "too close to call". Their comments on 2016 Q1 FCF+ was "certainly we will be". Perhaps at this point they were still counting on 3-5k Model Xs in Q4, and 7k like you mentioned in Q1. This still doesn't really add up for me. Even if they hit the top of their guidance of 55k for full year, on 5k Model Xs in Q4, $130k ASP, 15% GM. That still only adds $97.5M to cash flow, which would've brought them to -$300M for Q4. Far from "questionable" or "too "close to call".

In Q3 guidance after they lowered full year to 50-52k they said they had "aspirations for Q1 FCF+". That Q4 Model X spend was still at peak, and it will come down in 2016. So that fits with the decrease in Q1 2016 capex. However, even if they hit 7k Model Xs in Q1, assuming $120k ASP, 20% GM, that only adds around $180M in cash flow. In reality, using your -4% GM and 2400 untis, they lost around $10M on Model X, so a net gain of $190M. That still only takes FCF for Q1 to -$200M from -$400M.

I know I am doing the math a little different from you, I am just adding in the Model X cash flow with expected GM and units. Is that not a good way to look at it?

They want investors to consider a management accounts view of the use of ABL funds. Basically advanced cash flow on goods in transit for cars that are shipping to order - and to consider the interest charges in transit as a component of COGS. (Cost Of Goods Sold). The ABL interest rate is extremely low, about 2.9% fully drawn down and interest is only payable on the amount drawn upon. When the total account balance is $0.00 there is no interest to pay. So a $100K car that costs $75K to build may attract another circa $181 of interest in transit before the $75K of ABL drawings are settled by the overseas customer's cash on receipt of the vehicle a month later. Tesla wants investors to look at that as $75,181 as total COGS and of course if they maintain a global gross margin they would charge the equivalent of $100,241 for the car - so the $181 plus 25% profit on the $181 on top of the $100K US price (forgetting for sake of example about any other cost of shipping and export import that is treated like this also)

So long as they do use this ABL facility in this manner as guided and not for general working capital then it is quite a reasonable management accounting view to take of it.

The point of it is to maintain a business model in which cash related to sale of goods arrives in the bank before supplier invoices fall due for bill of materials and services relating to the production of each car. This is really important because it maintains what is a net cash flow positive transaction for the sale of each vehicle.

Most of the capital intensity of growing a manufacturing business is not in plant and machinery. It is in cash sunk into finished goods inventory while waiting for customers to settle credit invoices. Manufacturing business go bust trying to grow or because of larger than usual orders - for this reason more than any other. They effectively have to pay for their own production before they get paid by their customers. This means manufacturers normally end up (in cash flow terms) essentially buying the entire demand of their entire customer base on an ongoing before the sum of their customers do and then having to chase customers for cash a month or more later even assuming all of the customers take delivery of 100% of production immediately. This is why growing a new traditional car maker is unheard of in the 21st Century - because it is too capital intensive - and the incumbents have the advantage of already being there, bought and paid for by the economic disruption of the car itself.

Growing core business of the company on supplier trade credit and customer cash on delivery (or even customer credit in the case of a customer that takes out a vehicle loan) is a completely different animal to trying to grow a manufacturing business where customers including wholesalers and distributors expect the manufacturer to extend credit (on typical 30, 60 or 90 day terms or stock advanced until sold etc). Tesla does not have to get into the business of supplying customer credit because it does not support dealers and its products are sufficiently differentiated that the customers will wait for the cars rather than the cars having to wait on a lot for the customers.

Right, I don't have any issues with their use of the ABL. I am just saying that prior guidance for FCF+ did not take the ABL into consideration. I am trying to add up the numbers to see how they were supposed to meet that guidance.

Was the use of ABL a change in strategy or consistent with prior plans? If it is a change then it may make sense to ignore the prior FCF+ guidance.

Thanks Fallenone. Yes this is what I am referring to.

I went back and listened to both the 2015 Q2 and Q3 CCs to confirm.

During the Q2 CC they guided for $40-50M in TE revenue in Q4, and 10x that in 2016. This shortfall contributed a little like you mentioned, but not much to the end result. They were looking for 15% gross margins, so only $6M-7.5M contribution to cash flow. So this is not the answer.

In the Q2 guidance for full year was already lowered to 50-55k range. They commented that Model X ramp was extremely challenging. Knowing this, their comments on Q4 FCF+ was still that it was "questionable", and "too close to call". Their comments on 2016 Q1 FCF+ was "certainly we will be". Perhaps at this point they were still counting on 3-5k Model Xs in Q4, and 7k like you mentioned in Q1. This still doesn't really add up for me. Even if they hit the top of their guidance of 55k for full year, on 5k Model Xs in Q4, $130k ASP, 15% GM. That still only adds $97.5M to cash flow, which would've brought them to -$300M for Q4. Far from "questionable" or "too "close to call".

In Q3 guidance after they lowered full year to 50-52k they said they had "aspirations for Q1 FCF+". That Q4 Model X spend was still at peak, and it will come down in 2016. So that fits with the decrease in Q1 2016 capex. However, even if they hit 7k Model Xs in Q1, assuming $120k ASP, 20% GM, that only adds around $180M in cash flow. In reality, using your -4% GM and 2400 untis, they lost around $10M on Model X, so a net gain of $190M. That still only takes FCF for Q1 to -$200M from -$400M.

I know I am doing the math a little different from you, I am just adding in the Model X cash flow with expected GM and units. Is that not a good way to look at it?

Are you sure the TE gross margin is correct, maybe it was just at first? My thinking is it should be higher than for cars but I haven't been paying that close attention. Also, if they guided 500M TE revenue for 2016 back in Q215'? could that have been a conservative number, or improved since then? Seems like with the revised Model 3 plans that might imply more battery production too?

@Julian Cox: I fully agree to your analysis of the role of the ABL - in essence they are able to grow the business more organically by closing this void in time between finishing the product and getting paid. I fully expect them to increase the size of the ABL frame as the business keeps growing. Elon and Wheeler said exactly this on the call: investors should consider the costs attached to use of the ABL (interest + fees) and a slight added cost of goods sold - the cost of getting paid instantly (well worth it).

They have a history of doing other things in order to optimize this concept, one important one which has been in play since the start of the company is the reservation fee, which in essence is a partial prepayment on the car by the customer. In the vulnerable Model S phase of the company he even got >2000 customers to prepay upward of 35% of their car years in advance (Signature reservations)!

Are you sure the TE gross margin is correct, maybe it was just at first? My thinking is it should be higher than for cars but I haven't been paying that close attention. Also, if they guided 500M TE revenue for 2016 back in Q215'? could that have been a conservative number, or improved since then? Seems like with the revised Model 3 plans that might imply more battery production too?

This was months ago, and at the time they expected TE margins of 15%. We know now from pricing that GM will most likely be a lot higher. But that does not contribute much to cash flow yet because numbers are still small.

Right, I don't have any issues with their use of the ABL. I am just saying that prior guidance for FCF+ did not take the ABL into consideration. I am trying to add up the numbers to see how they were supposed to meet that guidance.

Was the use of ABL a change in strategy or consistent with prior plans? If it is a change then it may make sense to ignore the prior FCF+ guidance.

NP. My post was just a general description of the ABL for anyone interested. Can't really answer your question definitively without researching it too - off hand I don't think it is a cut and dried as a before and after thing. GAAP FCF is what it is. This ABL use and Cash Flows from Core Operations is more of a descriptive thing for the shareholder letter - which if you take it on face value speaks to the management accounting view. CPA accountants would more likely throw a fit - so I would say its a case of researching adoption and acceptance of these metrics by analysts etc than trying to work out apples to apples facts. If everyone is tracking cash flows from core operations then it matters, otherwise it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.