Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

The secondary offering hasn't happened yet. The filing says it's set to happen on or around May 25th. Could this hold the stock at or around $215 until the 25th?

I know the offering hasn't "happened" yet but I'm guessing all the underwriters have likely each allocated their portion of the offering to buyers? And I'm just guessing that maybe one of them promised a bit too many shares in total to big clients and are now bound to deliver that many shares?

• Informative
Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid
Unfortunately, I missed the bottom (which is almost a crime considering the answer was buried somewhere in this thread) but it would be very helpful to myself at least, if anyone is willing to share which calls they find attractive. I'm expecting a good Q2 and a run up to it, just debating between shorter positions until I can buy August calls, or just go for the Sept and pay a little more for over an extra months worth of time that I'm not certain I'll want. Maybe you've got LEAPS (Would make more sense if one had a larger amount of funds to play with, tripling my investment will not change my quality of life, so I've mostly been playing the riskier shorter term).
Just curious, I'm fully accountable for any trades I make.
I just started rolling Sept 230's and Sept 240's to Jan17 240's and Jan17 250's. Just completed the Sep 230's (sold for $15.25), replaced with Jan17 240's (paid $18.41). Those 2 options have similar Delta's (September 230's = 0.4790 vs Jan17 240's 0.4683 ) so the increases in prices will be similar. I'm also optimistic on the Q2 ER, but an extra $3.16 seems like really cheap insurance.

IMO having a viable Plan B is always a good idea. If I had given myself an extra four month's with all of my trades, I would have done much better financially over the last 12 month's.

Reactions: Tenable
Wow, so I noticed that ever since I started seeing the phrase "Show Ignored Content" on the bottom of each page that I'm actually able to keep up with this thread. Can't believe it took me 3 years to finally ignore someone in the name of "seeing all viewpoints." I recommend anyone else on the fence to go ahead and use the ignore feature.
Agreed! Highly recommended! One of the best TMC decisions I've made. If everyone would either do that, or at least stop responding it would be perfect.

Once I clicked the "Show Ignored Content" and started to read the first post that came up. Absolute drivel, not going to make that mistake again (at least not soon)!

ESK, I'm still quite the novice. Are you saying you paired your shared by buying Sept 300 puts? Or you sold Sept 300 puts? If you are willing to give a short explanation I would very much appreciate it.

I also have a combination of shares, J17 calls and sold J17 puts. The puts and calls work as a synthetic stock position in a sense plus give more leverage. The nice thing about selling puts is that you don't have to time the dip to buy and if it doesn't come you still make money if SP goes up.

• Informative
Reactions: gigglehertz
So, media reporting about UAW interested in Fremont. Says that weighed on the SP today.

I can't see Tesla Motors going Union. I don't know how that works but I assume Fremont workers would vote on it at some point. I'm guessing a fairly low percentage of Fremont workers have ever been in the UAW.

So, media reporting about UAW interested in Fremont. Says that weighed on the SP today.

I can't see Tesla Motors going Union. I don't know how that works but I assume Fremont workers would vote on it at some point. I'm guessing a fairly low percentage of Fremont workers have ever been in the UAW.

That was originally news in USA Today late afternoon on Thursday, which more of the media began spreading today: UAW wants union for Tesla factory

The UAW chief said he was not approaching this in an adversarial way. He claimed to have already met with Elon, whom he described as creative and very unique.

Fred, IIRC they had a vote about two years ago to unionize and it was rejected.

Doubtful that UAW culture is an attractive prospect to the majority of Tesla workers. The energy, enthusiasm and pay is reportedly high. Easy for Tesla to point out for example that the average UAW member is paid less and is subjected to additional and outdated union rules and disciplinary procedures on top of the membership fee and the blue-collar-worker designation. Probably nicer to be a member of "us" with Elon and the management at Tesla rather than a member of "us" in an adversarial "them and us" inherent to unionization with "them" being Elon and the management. Also, perhaps as a smart defensive move, Tesla bought the old UAW Union hall next to the Fremont factory in 2015 making it harder for UAW to just to creep back into old haunts and pretend that it belongs. Needless to say that along with car dealers my opinion is that unions should be left out in the cold. I suspect Tesla's staff would concur.

Unions are generally more interesting to workers that are concerned about downsizing. This is not a prevalent issue at Tesla.

Edit. @AlMc: "Fred, IIRC they had a vote about two years ago to unionize and it was rejected."

Good.

Last edited:

It likely depends on the relative pay scale at Fremont versus options in the immediate area. One test which is public, is the immigrant guest worker who was injured recently, reported at $5/hour and then corrected by Musk to $55/hour which sounds good to me. (I was always curious, however, was that what Tesla paid the subcontractor or do they pay workers directly in those contracts?) In any case, the company's response about the worker seemed most humane to me and others on this thread. On the other hand, this is a startup company with silicone valley standards, run by a guy really on the run himself, so it may have poor working conditions there for the faint of commitment. Now, on the other other hand, they've stated publicly they want to hire a lot of veterans who are probably used to horrible working conditions and impossible hours, deadlines, etc., so with the prospect of option bonuses and early in line for a Model 3, workers may well be happy without unionization. Bottom line, it may make no difference in the pay scales so nothing to fear about a zoom up in production costs.

Another anecdote. The first time I talked to a rep at the store in White Plains on a visit with my brother, I swaggered in with the opening "I'm an investor, not ready to buy yet, but I could if I sold." The very first response of the rep was, "keep your investment." Turns out he was a high school teacher in a field similar to mine at the university level, and he was there for the options which he could tap within two years (if I remember correctly). Convinced me I'd like to moonlight in retirement on those conditions. But Rocklin is too far away, and we only have one car. We do have two M3 reservations, but I'll be 82 by then. Born too early, smart too late. The story of my life.:oops:

Edit: Sorry. Should have kept reading on the thread. Not smart enough, so late.

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog
Fred, IIRC they had a vote about two years ago to unionize and it was rejected.

Here's a January 2014 San Francisco Chronicle (SFGate) article reporting that the UAW had set up an organizing committee at the Tesla factory: Unions press for place with Tesla

It appears that the meeting between UAW representatives and Elon actually occurred in August 2013.

Last edited:
It likely depends on the relative pay scale at Fremont versus options in the immediate area. One test which is public, is the immigrant guest worker who was injured recently, reported at $5/hour and then corrected by Musk to $55/hour which sounds good to me. (I was always curious, however, was that what Tesla paid the subcontractor or do they pay workers directly in those contracts?) In any case, the company's response about the worker seemed most humane to me and others on this thread. On the other hand, this is a startup company with silicone valley standards, run by a guy really on the run himself, so it may have poor working conditions there for the faint of commitment. Now, on the other other hand, they've stated publicly they want to hire a lot of veterans who are probably used to horrible working conditions and impossible hours, deadlines, etc., so with the prospect of option bonuses and early in line for a Model 3, workers may well be happy without unionization. Bottom line, it may make no difference in the pay scales so nothing to fear about a zoom up in production costs.

Another anecdote. The first time I talked to a rep at the store in White Plains on a visit with my brother, I swaggered in with the opening "I'm an investor, not ready to buy yet, but I could if I sold." The very first response of the rep was, "keep your investment." Turns out he was a high school teacher in a field similar to mine at the university level, and he was there for the options which he could tap within two years (if I remember correctly). Convinced me I'd like to moonlight in retirement on those conditions. But Rocklin is too far away, and we only have one car. We do have two M3 reservations, but I'll be 82 by then. Born too early, smart too late. The story of my life.:oops:

Sorry. Should have kept reading on the thread. Not smart enough, so late.

Regards the $5 and the $55.

Tesla paid a labor rate of $55 to the main contractor. Main contractor stated it paid that $55 across to a subcontractor for part of the work. Third in line subcontractor apparently paid $5 to the worker. Tesla says it will help the worker anyway.

Regards the $5 and the $55.

Tesla paid a labor rate of $55 to the main contractor. Main contractor stated it paid that $55 across to a subcontractor for part of the work. Third in line subcontractor apparently paid $5 to the worker. Tesla says it will help the worker anyway.

Thanks for your clarification. I got the point of treating the worker well. Hope the sub got the message and dropped the sub-squared. They might have visa problems too.

Status
Not open for further replies.