Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rated your post Helpful.

An understanding of gigafactory processes should indeed cause a nudge upwards in valuation expectations. If that's what happens. And it's an event in basically two dimensions.
But when one considers:
  • snip
Seeking Alpha has a new non-new-news post (phew!) which is interesting for a purported post by Dahn, Tesla's new battery guy.

New direction for Tesla battery research with hiring of academic

Edit: Sorry for alliteration, I only had 4 hours sleep last.

Seeking Alpha has a new non-new-news post (phew!) which is interesting for a purported post by Dahn, Tesla's new battery guy.

New direction for Tesla battery research with hiring of academic

Edit: Sorry for alliteration, I only had 4 hours sleep last.

Jeff Dahn, a leading battery researcher and his group will go on an exclusive contract with Tesla Motors on June 8: Tesla’s newest hire may be proof Elon Musk is ready to hear some hard truths about batteries

The coming of a June 2016 contract was first reported in June 2015: Charging onward: Dahn’s next move marks first Canadian university collaboration with Tesla Motors

So 300k reservations. If everyone invested 1000 in Tesla it's 300 mil. If everyone invested $10 000 in tsla, that's 3 bil. Obviously this has not happened yet from the look of the stock price. So someond needs to start figuring out how to reach them and brow beat this crowd on the benefit of life improvement thst you get by joining the roller coaster

How did it go with early Model S reserve holders and the money you put into TSLA?

It is certainly my strategy to invest my cash reserve (~$10K) I have set aside for my Model 3 into TSLA. I did a similar thing way back in March of 2013. I got really lucky then "Tsunami of hurt" and it allowed me to move forward with my Model S purchase. Hopefully, like last time the market will buy my Model 3 for me.

Well, there's the GF opening party (still have a lil more than a month not to be late;), Inside EVs estimate of US numbers (especially Model X) for May coming out next week, their own report on Q2 deliveries early July, and a potential announcement of a partner in China before Q2 ER (I heard a few rumors going on, but nothing concrete enough to share here). Short term, real volume deliveries of Model X is a big catalysts, as it helps financials and boost confidence in their execution (or rather, alleviate the constant doubt)
Indeed, there are a couple of "soft news" items on the horizon, that will indicate Tesla continues to be on track/schedule with GF, M3 design, etc, but the most important day on my calendar is July 1-3, Q2 delivery numbers. The market got a little nervous over the extended X struggles and resulting Q1 miss, but if Q2 deliveries are met and X is 5k+ of that number, that may take off a lot of downwards preassure of TSLA.
Realistically, if Q1 numbers would have been met, boosted by M3 reveal/reservations and the current improving macro, we would be north of 250 by now.

Well, this is my uneducated guess anyway.

You are way off the mark if you think SpaceX has some sort of mastery of manufacturing that is transferrable to Tesla. SpaceX is competing against quasi-governmental rocket building that had little incentive to go fast and cheap. The state of auto manufacturing is very different. Tesla buys auto manufacturing experience by hiring people from the very competent and ultra competitive old auto industry.
Oh I realize how likely I am to be off the mark. But it remains to be seen which of us is more off. I do like how you lay out those differences (market ecologies of auto vs orbital delivery) clearly. More helpfulness!
I wanna see how the academic Prof. Dahn adapts to the "Musky" culture. Perhaps more adeptly than competent commercially-experienced auto production minds usually do. His superpower is in testing protocols. One thing Tenergy knows it needs is a bunch of rapidly iterated tests to find optimal recipes. Prof. Dahn instructs us how a major improvement can come from a simple, tiny addition of a material... unpredictability, yet discoverably thru lots and lots of well-conceived tests. New boss Musk is all about "a molecule or three of the right material in just the right place" amirite?

The likely size of the gigafactory in 2018 suggests to me that they are emphasising finish pack assembly automation before cell production.
Recent articles had JB proudly showing off slurry mixing machinery, baking ovens. Neither of which are any part of pack assembly. Will we see how much cellmaking is in the mix when we get to see inside GF1?
I am excited by the references to "the machines that make the machines [that make batteries]" and any one of us is likely under-imagining or over-imagining.
Which makes this such an interesting time.
Good luck everybody! Fiddler gonna hush his mouth again. (And shamelessly troll for a +1 invite to that GigaParty.:))

Agreed, dude constantly re writes history to suit some self aggrandizrd version of himself then had the audacity to tell people calling him out on it that they are out of line.
Julian has made several good calls on the price action (though honestly, the run up from Feb want wasn't exactly rocket science, the whole board was pointing out how absurd the downswing was), and he has made some bad calls as well. That's fine, but pretending he hasn't, or hand waving it away with "unforseen circumstances" is disingenuous. If there weren't unforseen circumstances we would all be able to predict price like, 99% of the time, those are the whole point.

I'm a bit disturbed that our friendly mod (doing a great job generally btw) seems unconcerned about that and has often shown desire to sort of protect Julian on this.

Anyway, this has all be rehashed to hell and back. Julian over represents his perfection, people point out he isn't perfect (which is absolutely fine mind you, no one is perfect) and Julian shoots back a nuh-uh I am prefect. None of it matters really.

First of all thank you to the posters that have expressed some appreciation. Thank you very much.

@Irishjugg

You are one of my favourite contributors, one of those that in my opinion talks the most sense.

What I see you admonishing me to do here is to lie about recorded facts make myself look better.

I am not sure what you expect in response. I take it as a moral imperative to tell the truth here to the same or similar standard as the imperative to disclose whether or not I have left the brake lines hanging off a strangers car or not.

If you ask me whether or not I am infallible I will say no I am human. If you ask me whether or not I have secured the brake lines on a car, and I have, I need to say yes I have. If you keep asking and accusing I still cannot change my answer. The answer is still yes. You say that's unbelievable, I still need to say yes. You accuse me of fraud, I need to say, please don't do that because the answer is yes. You tell me that you are dead certain that I left the brake lines hanging off your car. I need to say, no I didn't - here is the photo of me securing the brake lines and the written and date stamped certification that I did it.

At some point if you keep claiming in public that I left the brake lines hanging off your car I need to explain that you are the one misleading people. Does that make sense?

I suspect the problem here is that you think I am claiming infallibility for all future predictions. All I can promise you is this. If I ever volunteer again to check the brakes on your car I will apply the same diligence as I have done previously, record the job and supply the proof so that again you cannot in any world that values honesty above lies - claim that I haven't done it. Will it be a good job? Only time can tell for sure, but when time has told for sure, in my world that needs to be the end of the debate. Not the beginning of a hail of accusations.

Now. I very charitably (audaciously) tried to save decent people from losing their shirts on the Jan-mid Feb down leg and sought to head off a sentiment death spiral on TMC. I can understand why someone may be confused that what I was doing instead was to be bullish in a bear environment. Not true, but I understand.

From then onwards there is no excuse to call my record into question. If you do so you will be arguing with the unarguable truth, in my world arguing with the truth is either confusion or lies or the product of third party deception. When there is no excuse for confusion it is called lies. Plain and simple. For example, if you claim I made a bad call, you would be lying given this strict definition of truth and lies. Sorry, that is just the way it is

Some have suggested it is dangerous to tell the truth in this manner because what if people were to trust the truth!? Let's examine that:

So I specificly shared on TMC a long sequence of calls - let's say from anticipating Q4 ER onwards so nobody can bicker about anything. Those calls went all the way up from $143 to $255 and all the way down again to $211 and from May 19th all the way up again to $223. Lots of data points in between all of them reinforcing the stated direction and the reason why. Some of them very ardently admonishing deviation - basically slammed some people for trying to encourage buying the Q1 ER and the disclosure of the $190 per KWh. These were bear calls. I also admonished against seeking a buy on the dip following the M3 unveil stating very clearly that the would be no dip relative to the preceding trading day.

Kindly ask yourself. If you discredited any of the above, who would you have been helping? Which side of right or wrong would you be on? How safe or dangerous do you think it is scream no it can't be true, stop lying, grow up, how dare you etc etc when we are talking about money - and it is all true. The opposite of the truth in investing is called losses. Real people losing real money. People I happen to care about that are wiling to invest in talking action to create a better world rather than to sell the future of our children downriver for just one more barrel of crude.

I cannot understand why a successful attempt to help in this environment should be pilloried. I care about the future of humanity - at least those who like me have an idea that our collective young deserve better than to inherit a world in flames - I assume that includes you and any of my remaining critics here, and so for you if it isn't for the truth and for humanity whose side are you on and why do you imagine it makes sense to side with the enemy - of lies and of the financial destruction of decent people like you??

So then if you say, well well well. "I don't trade with your style or with your timing so with my timing I agreed with this call and then you changed it which makes you wrong". Like what the heck? That isn't me cherry picking my calls. That's you cherry picking my calls. I just said which way the stock would go. How you traded it or selectively ignored it or disagreed with it at the time and therefore the stock went somewhere other than what you expected or where I said it will go (honestly that was and remains to this day the same thing) is entirely up to you.

Will I always be right for as long as I keep trying to get it right? No idea! Too early to tell and that is just the truth of it.

Like you I can only assume the answer will eventually be no. Catastrophically so, I really hope not but I can tell you this and you can check into it yourself, this isn't flipping coins or guesswork. This is hard core analysis that so far seems to work.

As for EV Volumes. This isn't me selling a book! This is an opportunity for me (actually us when inclusive of the remainder of the team and anyone that gives a sh*t about the future) to present reliable forecasting data and analysis to the auto industry that auto industry experts cannot for the life of them provide. The needless destruction that this can potentially save is off the charts. What do you imagine might occur if it were possible to demonstrate to VW or Toyota that "modular architecture" (the multi $billion product of confusion which way the auto market will go), this and another 20 years of haplessly trying to defend ICE sales was unnecessary and contrary to the fiduciary duty of auto executives and instead the way to deal with the future wast to license a Tesla product design asap and invest in a Gigafactory? Think that is something you are duty bound to discredit? I don't think so!

Julian Cox.

You are one of my favourite contributors, one of those that in my opinion talks the most sense.

What I see you admonishing me to do here is to lie about recorded facts make myself look better.

..........................and on and on ..........
Please, stop it!

This is the short term TSLA trading thread. Not the Julian Cox fan club thread. I really appreciate all of your positive contributions to this community. It's a minor IMO problem that some of your on topic posts are a little bit long. But the long posts about yourself are way over the top.

If you want to look better please stop telling us all how wonderful you are. An excellent way to start would be to delete that Post or post it on your website and replace the post here with a link. If you do that since you are so good at predictions how many clicks do you think you'll get? Hint, a reasonable over/under is close to zero.

EDIT Addition:

I just realized :rolleyes: that the problem is that we have started posting about each other, instead of about TSLA. And in some ways this post is contributing to the problem.

Can we all agree to stop posting about each other? Maybe any post that talks about a member of the community should be moderated into a thread titled something like Comments About Members of the Short Term Investors Thread, which I predict would have more content than views.

Last edited:
Nice up-day for TSLA crossing 200 DMA. Looks like a bit resistance at 224. Hope we stay above 200 DMA at close.

Hopefully also a nice up-day for SpaceX. Difficult landing.
A SpaceX launch and landing hardly seems news these days anymore :)

To my eye it looks like we will close solidly above 200 day SMA. If tomorrow's morning attempt to bring TSLA back below 200 day SMA fails (and I am fairly sure that the attempt will be made), I think we might see some short covering by the end of the day, as it would be clear that TSLA is at the support level, and it is generally smarter to cover at the support level, rather than the resistance level...

I guess it could be the news of the oversubscription that helped us to cross 200DMA today.

I like the 'tone' in newsbits like this..

Tesla Motors Maxed Out Its Secondary Offering

And here I was thinking that Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) investors were starting to lose patience .

That theory was based on the fact that shares have been weak ever since Tesla announced first-quarter earnings and a significantly accelerated production ramp. The implication was that shareholders were skeptical about Tesla's ability to execute on its grand plan. I was wrong.

Investors are still as ready and willing as ever to help support Tesla and its mission.

Filling the coffers
Following the announcement of the secondary offering last week, where Tesla said it would raise anywhere from $1.4 billion to $1.7 billion in fresh equity capital depending on investor interest, the electric-car maker has now filed a recent 8-K with the SEC outlining how the offering played out. Spoiler alert: it went really well.

Stock splits used to be common back in the days when brokerage commissions were elevated for trades not involving "round lots" (multiples of 100 shares). Nowadays single shares can be bought without penalty. Although you may have a point that psychologically some people might be more inclined to buy shares priced in the 20's rather than the 200's.

Yeah, it's a pure psychological consideration because I am assuming most of these people do not touch investments on a daily basis. So how expensive one share of stock cost matters. The downside of a split are the short attacks. So it is best done during a capital raise. To add some toppings to it, offer some preferential treatment to Model 3 reserve holders while splitting the shares.

There's a synergy between buying a M3 and safely investing in TSLA. If you assume that Tesla will survive and you are going to get your M3, the worst thing that can happen is that there's a long delay, because when Tesla ramps production the SP will increase.

So if you are saving for an M3 a delay means that you won't need the money until the M3 ramps successfully, which is required before you will be able to get your M3.

Right on. I am guessing about 10% already have the entire sum in cash sitting in some CD. The best play, assuming that TSLA will not go up in flames until production, is to sell puts. There's some psychological play here as well. At this point in TSLA's life, everyone in the know understand that the only possibility of TSLA dying is self inflicted seppuku when failing the mission. a.k.a Model 3. Anytime, they can just stop and be EV of Porche.

• Love
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Status
Not open for further replies.