Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooooo, you've done and said it! Wish it away!:eek:

I think the Mars goal is not a good idea, the radiation for that length of time probably requires a new order of shielding, and at great weight. Getting to the point of achieving it is being spectacularly implemented and well worth it imunhumbleo. It is a classic example of a potential military goal leading to wonderful side effects, much better than Teflon.

On the other hand it is quite possible we are beyond the point of no return on global warming as many reports are now suggesting. However, don't tell anyone because we always got to keep trying. And then either the Moon or Mars will need colonizing. Or, some really crazy idea using quantum entanglement.;)

Fast replay of SpaceX 1st stage- Sticks the Landing (from Elon tweet reference)

Watched it a few times and it looked like the barge just magically appeared. Then played it back at 1/4 speed (click on the gear in the bottom right) and you can see the barge is sort of hidden by the left fin. But wow, it really was plunging until the final engine firing.

Reactions: Intl Professor
Watched it a few times and it looked like the barge just magically appeared. Then played it back at 1/4 speed (click on the gear in the bottom right) and you can see the barge is sort of hidden by the left fin. But wow, it really was plunging until the final engine firing.
Yeah , Elon tweeted it was the hottest landing they have done. Right at the max limit apparently, so it crushed some of the aluminum honeycomb energy absorption crush-core. Easy replacement assuming it makes it back to port. Leaning a bit, so some risk of tipping on the journey back.

On this Memorial Weekend, I'm compelled to recognize
We do a lot of things wrong here in USA
But...
Big O makes history honoring the loss of human life in Japan,
speaking for a better way forward
Immigrant Elon (and team) work to bring the USA back into Space travel,
And to distant worlds
Concurrently changeing the human cost equation for survival in our native world;
Synergizing a return of manufacturing chutzpah to USA
and Bothering to pay back the US taxpayers for their help
Be you conservative or liberal,
Native American, US born American, or Immigrant American
There needs to be room to celebrate some of the things we get right...
Good weekend to all...
kl

On the other hand it is quite possible we are beyond the point of no return on global warming as many reports are now suggesting.

Don't be silly...yesterday I saw on the teevee that global warming/climate change is a hoax, and then today I see that there is actually no drought in California....someone just needs to "open up the water".

• Funny
Reactions: everman
Yep. Bring two pipeline up to Canada. Buy our oil and we'll sell you our water.
This is the best water in the world and we are currently under pricing it. IMO, Canadian water should be more expensive than oil. The amount of refinement you need to get such clean and crisp taste is not possible with current technology.

Yep. Bring two pipeline up to Canada. Buy our oil and we'll sell you our water.
This is the best water in the world and we are currently under pricing it. IMO, Canadian water should be more expensive than oil. The amount of refinement you need to get such clean and crisp taste is not possible with current technology.
They need a "Sigh!" button

Reactions: Intl Professor
I love it when JB Straubel makes public comments... they are usually quite enlightening in a slightly different way than Musk's comments. I posted a link to discuss the whole of it here:

Tesla CTO JB Straubel on Autonomous Vehicle and Battery Tech

I can't get the embedded link to a specific time to work here... but I provide a transcript for the portion at 15:29:

Pat Cox: ... you now, of course, have the enormous industrial challenge of this huge success... how do you cope with that given that it was beyond your expectations and you need to find the industrial process to deliver in, I guess, some reasonably short time period?

JB Straubel: that's a good question and that's been a point of a great deal of focus inside of Tesla. It's a wonderful problem to have... I think many industries struggle with their biggest risk being demand of a new product or a new technology and in this case we have the opposite problem which is more demand. We can put our focus on production ramp up, supplier ramp up. This is a challenge, not to understate that, but it's a very high class problem for us to have. We do believe that we can accelerate this, we've had close meetings with all of our key suppliers, and with many of our internal production and factory managers. We see a way to nearly double the previous plans we had for production rate increase and production ramp up.

Clearly, the various articles published about "suppliers" doubting Tesla's ramp up in the past few weeks has been of questionable integrity at best. The Reuter's article by Mr. Lienert and Ms. Sage are prime examples of FUD, where they talk about suppliers, but a careful reading shows that they are not talking about Tesla's suppliers for almost all of the article.

Edit: here's the URL to the specific time, the forum software eats it otherwise:

HTML:
https://youtu.be/lgcozueYXMU?t=931

Last edited:
Thanks for the information! I agree, I love JB's videos!
I love it when JB Straubel makes public comments... they are usually quite enlightening in a slightly different way than Musk's comments. I posted a link to discuss the whole of it here:

Tesla CTO JB Straubel on Autonomous Vehicle and Battery

Clearly, the various articles published about "suppliers" doubting Tesla's ramp up in the past few weeks has been of questionable integrity at best. The Reuter's article by Mr. Lienert and Ms. Sage are prime examples of FUD, where they talk about suppliers, but a careful reading shows that they are not talking about Tesla's suppliers for almost all of the article.

Edit: here's the URL to the specific time, the forum software eats it otherwise:

HTML:
https://youtu.be/lgcozueYXMU?t=931
State of Model 3
1) They have talked to key suppliers already
2) From those talks, they believe they can double production from original targets

3) As a result, recent press reports about "supplier doubts" are smoke, not Tesla's suppliers which we suspected
Of course they already talked to key suppliers. Does anyone seriously believe (anyone who I haven't ignored) that Elon came up with the M3 ramp by throwing darts at a board?

Since it off topic weekend:)........Piggybacking off of @techmaven's post.......I actually like listening to JB over EM. His answers are concise and informative. They are generally free of hyperbole. I consider EM the visionary but JB more of the 'nuts and bolts' guy.

They certainly give off very different vibes. I have to concentrate a lot harder to stay focused on what J.B. is talking about. Not that it's not interesting or informative but rather he lulls me with his energy and speech patterns (until he breathes in and then the 'whistle' annoys me). Elon is infectious, charismatic, with higher energy - like he can hardly contain himself. They make a great pair.

Does anyone seriously believe (anyone who I haven't ignored) that Elon came up with the M3 ramp by throwing darts at a board?

I'd have to know who's on your ignore list to answer that accurately. :D But simply, yes there will be and are lots of people who lack foresight and therefore assume everyone else lacks it. We've had plenty of examples of Elon and Co. being several steps ahead.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Status
Not open for further replies.