Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Liquidation now would be locking in a major loss unless you are referring to shares held since prices were much lower, so no, definitely don't do that unless you think the price will go to 0.

I bought some Monday and would like to buy more after the ER if it drops. If we go green, then I'll just sit and wonder if it's enough to trigger a squeeze. I'd probably sell half of my holdings if we broke 300 before model 3 is in production on the assumption that I'll be able to buy them back cheaper when big negative cash flow numbers show up for model 3 ramp.

Cost basis at $140 from just about 2 years ago. It's just tricky-- for me it would be an accumulation/profit protection move (something versus nothing). I feel like we are too close to a catalyst with Model 3 around the corner.

A little perspective here...
Amazon and Netflix both have had their plunges, but there is life after a 4Q ER. Amazon is up 3% today and Netflix 4% today. What's holding TSLA back is the uncertainty about the ER. Let's get it done and move forward.

Remember, too, that a number of analysts have been reiterating their $300+ price targets this week. Clearly, Tesla has many followers who believe the 12-18 month time frame will yield a stock price that is quite acceptable to those of us who are heavily invested. Nobody knows whether today's ER and CC will yield positive or negative results, but it's time to address the uncertainty, take the medicine, if it is dealt to us, and then start moving upward again.

It does matter. Their ability to ramp up MX is considered their ability to keep M3 on track. Also, any further delay on ramp up MX is also hurting their ability to generate more cash.
Just for arguments sake, does it really matter what they report for MX? TM has 25k reservations, and said they will make and deliver by 2016. If ASP is $100k, then that is revenue of 2.5 bln... What is the cost? This is without advertising etc...

I said this earlier (before a 50 point drop...) but there is a strategic value in NOT guiding for the stars for this ER. The stock is already in the toilet and they don't need to raise cash this instant. Later this year would be nice to keep investing. As a thought experiment, if Elon and his team would try to game the stock which may not even be the case, the worst thing you could do was to guide for a tippy-top 2016 deliveries and best case model X forecast, best case TE forecast, etc. Then they have another year of fighting the market expectations when they almost miss or barely make really impressive goals.

Instead, they might want to guide reasonable, achievable, dare I say easy goals and take one big hit now. Then they can issue 2-3 beats in subsequent quarters. Or put everything into one super beat Q1 or Q2 announcement that would scream "squeeze shorts here". Of course at this point, a stratospheric rise might be to 200...

The single WORST thing they could do is guide for the very tippy-top of what they can really do and the market punishes them anyway because they didn't produce rabbits from their posterior. Now they can't win no matter what they do.

Before this big selloff I expected a reasonable chance they would tank this one, take the stock price hit and set up shorts for mid year. But now things are so low if they tank the Q4 ER we could see $100 then "winning" is what, $150?

Sigh...

Bloomberg tries to pus down TSLA and doing it so simply lazy stupidly: (300m bar is.. how many times, 5 times smaller that 590 bar.) damn that graphic is epic: Examining the Road Ahead for Tesla - Bloomberg Business
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 21.51.19.png

Status
Not open for further replies.