Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The number of reservations before the reveal was 115.000. Roughly the same as the number of cars Tesla produced up to that moment.

If I was a short, what would scare me the most is how much this is a vote of confidence from the car drivers. The entered 115.000 votes without seeing the car risking 1k with each vote. That is a very inpressive vote of confidence. A very impressive statement saying that the people TRUST Tesla to succeed and also WANT Tesla to do so.

Why would one bet against a company and product that the market so much WANTS to succeed. Very risky.

If they reveal the model 3 reservation number it's going to happen in the Q1 shareholder letter to offset potential negative talk about the sharp dive model S numbers are taking this quarter.

I could not be more wrong than this! Anyway, I have real difficulty seeing any downsize with the stock after the blowout model 3 reveal. Well done by Tesla. Now it's on to the difficult part : to execute and deliver on the promises!

Reactions: Lessmog
Great looking car overall but i dont like the plain nose, I rather they move the T logo down to the front a bit like the X.

It takes me awhile to get accustomed to any look. But at a first look, now, the front to me looks like the snout of a sperm whale, very blunt and great for ramming, can even sink a wood-hulled ship. Alternatively, it avoids all the chrome crap we used to like that disguised an ugly radiator. The "3" has a small vent at the bottom, but flagrantly waves: look ma' no bra!

Not random: car parked at home or at work is a wasted resource. From prior EM notes, car can drive itself cross country. Surely this can be interpolated: with small stops and errands along the way...

Agree.. And if no driver is needed, it should work in an Uber service?

Why would tesla, with their software skills and fleet knowhow let anyone else take this profit?

I hope they as part 2 announce full autonomy, and an option to owners to agree to have their model 3s be part of a Uber-like service, and split profit 50/50.

Mind blowing if true.:) killing off Uber and the taxi-buisness.

One model 3 could displace 4-5 ICE cars.;-)

Add Uber value to Tesla with a tweet and a software update?

Any thoughts? Just wild ramblings from me, or the logic evolution of things??

Hi folks, finally got to be able to type this. My thoughts -

It was good that he started out with the environmental message, and talked about pollution. This is one thing that combustion engine cars can't do anything about... they can't include this in their marketing no matter how "green" their hybrids are.

It was good that he continued into safety, something that drew criticism from some goofball commentators after seeing the Model X reveal. Emphasising safety first is something you don't see from anyone else, even Volvo these days. Everyone else is "look how beautiful it is on the outside" and buried among the feature list is the safety.

The car is absolutely beautiful, it's a baby Model S no doubts. Wonderful to see what the "Tesla family style" really is... it takes a few cars to be out before you can see it. The front does resemble a Panamera from some angles, which isn't a bad thing. To those who think the Tesla logo should be on the front of the nose... don't forget that registration plates will obscure most of the nose. This is a smaller nose than the Model X.

I noticed no sensors for parking or autopilot stuff. I wonder if they have been able to incorporate them behind the sheet metal. Sure beats seeing all those little round circles all over front and rear bumpers on cars these days.

I did not see anything special about the side mirrors... was looking to see some bumps for "360-degree view" cameras.

It's possible these are unfinished prototypes, it's also possible they have been able to incorporate those things mode discretely.

Elon was right to not talk about kilowatt hours and horsepower. It's not what the car has... it's what the car can do that is important. He answered the two biggest unknowns - autopilot and supercharging.

Tesla has indeed got some amazing new innovations in this car that are really only experienced from the inside. For example - two new features that shouldn't be overlooked A) unprecented levels of forward visibility by the driver. B) unprecedented levels of rearward visibility due to that massive back window.

From what I can see the car is NOT A HATCHBACK... it is a classical sedan with a trunklid. The rear window is fixed. Like this -
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11277&stc=1&d=1205559255
7-foot surfboard will fit in the car using the usual split-folding rear seat as we see on sedans today.

137,000 reservations already... isn't that like OVER FIVE YEARS' PRODUCTION OF THE CHEVY BOLT??? And goodness knows how many years of the inaptly-titled Toyota Mirai.

The display is exactly centered and accessible by driver or passenger. Notice the dual application is now left-right rather than one on top of the other? Now the passenger can operate/access/be in control of whatever application is on the right, e.g. music playback. It's a multi-touch panel, after all.

Re: LHD/RHD production... did anyone notice that the passenger side dashboard/fascia is a total mirror image of the driver's side dashboard/fascia? With the exception of the steering wheel assembly, which has the stalks on it already, this could be one CHEAP car to assemble for different markets.

Re: Autonomous driving... if you add a third production type to LHD/RHD you have LHD/RHD/AD - meaning, Autonomous Driving version of the car with no steering wheel or pedals, and that center panel is accessible by either front-seat passenger with equal preference - i.e., there is no driver, or there are two drivers. It won't matter what side of the car you get into, you can still tell the car where to go and so on. This could be part of the "super next level" reveal of the car... equally it could be 3 years' away, dunno :)

I'm sure Travis Kalanik will be liking what he sees. He will want 500,000 of these :)

The reservation number is huge... bigger than I could have expected. This is the kind of story all kinds of media want to cover. This will guarantee Tesla doesn't need to advertise for a long time.

As far as TSLA goes tomorrow, I expect it to begin higher than $240. I would not be surprised to see $250 tomorrow... and this is off the back of 150,000 orders representing not only $150million in nice new cash but also the fact that 150,000 people around the world want to buy the car and this'll take at least two years to fulfull the orders!!! Think how many orders there will be by the time deliveries begin!!!

Tesla easily have enough momentum (in the press) to be able to hold onto the Q1 deliveries estimate until Monday... this would allow the Model 3 press attention to continue undistracted. However, I wouldn't rule out seeing the estimate tomorrow.

Can you imagine the competition? They must be literally shitting themselves, pardon my language. This car attacks the jugular of their bread-and-butter - the C-Class, A4 and 3-Series, and those brands have done nothing to combat customers lining up to buy 150,000 of something else altogether. As has been said here already, dealer lots for those brands are going to have tumbleweeds blowing through for a few years when they realise no-one is showing up due to switching to Tesla.

I know it's early and all but just want to report in that some of the first pre-market trades came in at $248! This is going to be an interesting trading day, followed by an even more interesting month ahead of us. Lemonade time? Cheers everyone!

I want to point out something else that's positive that seems to have been overlooked in regards to cash deposits for the M3 reservation. The US$1,000 for a reservation is only for customers in the US. In every other country the deposit is priced in the local currency. In Sweden for example, we have to pay SEK 10,000 for a reservation, which roughly equals US$1,230!

And as far as I know, in all countries outside the US, a Tesla is costlier thus the reservation fee will be higher, which means that the average deposit will be higher than US$1,000 / reservation.

I want to point out something else that's positive that seems to have been overlooked in regards to cash deposits for the M3 reservation. The US$1,000 for a reservation is only for customers in the US. In every other country the deposit is priced in the local currency. In Sweden for example, we have to pay SEK 10,000 for a reservation, which roughly equals US$1,230!

And as far as I know, in all countries outside the US, a Tesla is costlier thus the reservation fee will be higher, which means that the average deposit will be higher than US$1,000 / reservation.
This is probably just to make a round figure. We also have to pay 10000 NOK in norway (~1200 USD), but there is also the cost of currency-risk to consider (or to hedge)...

Status
Not open for further replies.