Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon is REALLY priming the pump..
His latest tweet: Definitely going to need to rethink production planning...

3 tweets in an hour. :) I Guess the demand is way more than he was expecting

My Guess was 300k by monday morning, but might have to rethink.. 350-400k? and 500k by mid NeXT week??

Anyone think 1million by years end.. or will it slow Down to a trinkle during the next weeks?

Goes to my theory that he has the stock price/ capital raise firmly in mind. At this point I don't think he is pretending to hide it.

It speaks to his mind set. The game here is to read the tea leaves and take a position early folks. It seems ELON thinks that there is reason to be jubilent (yes, yes just the 3 reservations suffice for that).

Financial news will move this stock. I am pleased we seem to be set for a mildly positive day, that is a victory and sufficient for today. Deliveries next Monday or Earnings in May will be the potentials to light the fuse.

It FEELS like 2013.

Remember, even 2013 didn't go straight up in one day. It took weeks for that famously lightning-fast rise. This wasn't going to go to the moon in one day either.

Elon still hasn't formally upgraded guidance or said how Tesla will increase/speed up production. I think when this info is released the stock will skyrocket. Can Tesla accelerate production plans?

The reservation numbers and higher share price should have Wall Street bankers crawling over each other with competing offers to provide favorable financing for more rapid development of Gigafactories, assembly plants, service centers and Superchargers. Elon appears to be angling for that.

Goes to my theory that he has the stock price/ capital raise firmly in mind. At this point I don't think he is pretending to hide it.

It speaks to his mind set. The game here is to read the tea leaves and take a position early folks. It seems ELON thinks that there is reason to be jubilent (yes, yes just the 3 reservations suffice for that).

Financial news will move this stock. I am pleased we seem to be set for a mildly positive day, that is a victory and sufficient for today. Deliveries next Monday or Earnings in May will be the potentials to light the fuse.

It FEELS like 2013.

Remember, even 2013 didn't go straight up in one day. It took weeks for that famously lightning-fast rise. This wasn't going to go to the moon in one day either.
I still don't think we should compare now to 2013. 2013 was backed by real products and real surprise in financial numbers. Model 3 is still months away.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Our man Musk is creating a feeding frenzy lol :)

"Thought it would slow way down today, but Model 3 order count is now at 198k. Recommend ordering soon, as the wait time is growing rapidly."

Elon Musk on Twitter
Quite lucky I got this one right. ;)
I predicted even Elon is not sure how the reservation will unfold. This is an unprecedented event. Also I thought those didn't reserve quickly will regret and panic, adding more reserves. Wait until the general population understand how great this deal is. The key is in the part 2.

I still don't think we should compare now to 2013. 2013 was backed by real products and real surprise in financial numbers. Model 3 is still months away.
I will not try to predict a short squeeze. I am pretty sure some doubters will realize Tesla is not just a startup car manufacture, it's the new Apple. Model 3 is the wakeup call. Sure lots of shorts will not wake up until they get margin calls.

Wait until the general population understand how great this deal is.
Yeah, this is the most amazing part for the most people are still completely unaware of Tesla. I talked to several random people on my way back from the event and most people only vaguely know of Tesla and have absolutely no idea about the Model 3.

I think the base Model 3 can directly compete with wide range of cars and draw new buyers into the new car market. The thesis that it is simply a 3 series or A4 competitor has already been disproved by these reservation numbers.

Reactions: Lessmog
The weak longs who were listening to advice given last week from pompous CNBC pretend-to-know-somethings to “sell on the news” may nearly be done. Now we await Tesla delivery numbers that should be released by Monday, perhaps Sunday evening.

After that the analysts may be expected to chime in with revised recommendations and price targets. They are generally conservative and tend to wait for proof that justifies their positions to their bosses. Many of them sense that they are more likely to lose their jobs for picking losers rather than for missing winners. Now they have proof of significant Model 3 demand, and it’s the potential for the Model 3 that that should justify higher share price targets. The Model 3 appears to be the auto industry game changer that some analysts and money managers may be severely berated for overlooking.

Meanwhile, those who reserved a Model 3 now have a vested interest in Tesla Motors. Don’t be surprised if many of them soon decide to become strong long term shareholders.

+1 That and this:

tl;dr version: Get positioned for analysts beats inbound after a brief delay.

Here is the Wall Street & Musk two step (or ten step or whatever) cynical secret master plan as far as I understand it:

1. Musk gives a date he's going to do something really radical (like launch Model 3).
2. Analysts say it's all going to go to crap for the stock, watch out below.
3. Musk does the radical thing he said he would
4. Bulls go wow that ought to be cool for the stock, big analyst beat.
5. Shorts snigger at the idiots because the analysts warned everyone but due to confirmation bias only the shorts really understood it - and they snigger that Musk will be in a state of desperation in a trap between raising a lot of money for something Musk has promised the idiots that he cant afford to deliver without the idiots paying for it and surely just the act of raising the money dawn on the longs that he is taking their money instead of making any for them in terms of profits and the stock should tank the way the market is supposed to function according to some text book from 1977.
6. Analysts check out the potential of the cool thing to be a reason for Musk to want to raise a lot of money - and they think it is.
7. Analysts firms knock on Tesla's door and badger Musk for an appointment to be book runners for a fundraiser - but he says get lost! I don't actually need any money and regardless I can prove to you that I can trade through this without your help because I have a $billion loan facility at circa 2% interest and I'm getting a shade more than a $100 million a day average at 0% interest free from my customers and all my product lines are making money to so my worst case outcome is I get where I want to go on a bit smaller scale than the maximum possible - but if the deal was really really good then I guess we can accelerate our plans and all get rich together. So go away until the stock is at least sitting at $XXX - let's say $350, bit if it was at $350 I guess we should do something.
8. Analysts go back to their banks, tell their favorite clients to start buying, maybe buy a bit themselves then to a man the admit that they were completely gobsmaked how radical that thing was, totally U-turn about calling it a load of crap before the event due to some paradigm shift and the stock deserves to rocket to $350 + another $100 for good measure. Upgrades to $450 and champagne all round - All except for the sniggering shorts who are not invited. They get the smile wiped off their faces and end up paying for the whole deal on margin calls.
9. Number 8 is usually 2, 3 or 4 trading days after the radical thing - fast enough to just look like a delayed reaction and plausible time enough to write something that looks like research.
10. If Musk gets his target price for a raise then the analyst's banks get a book runner job and they get rich. If they miss by a bit and Musk doesn't bite on the book-runner job then they slowly commence demurring all over again until the next opportunity.

If you agree it makes sense then being positioned ready for the thing to go north in 2, 3 or 4 trading days is probably wise.

Model X is the wild card here. The troubled production ramp, combined with excitement over Model 3, has pretty much put Model X in the back of minds. If the Model X production ramp reaches Elon's goals, and deliveries/revenues are great, I think it's possible to see a repeat stock surge.

This is a big if though. It depends on the numbers at this point.

Reactions: madodel
I figure he's just being completely honest here. And it's actually probably quite upsetting! He figured he had things well in hand, now he needs to get a second factory built ASAP... lot more work on his plate! :)

3 tweets in an hour. :) I Guess the demand is way more than he was expecting

My Guess was 300k by monday morning, but might have to rethink.. 350-400k? and 500k by mid NeXT week??

Anyone think 1million by years end.. or will it slow Down to a trinkle during the next weeks?
A while back on Reddit I said we will get 150~200k first day, then pass 1 million by year end, I got a ton of down-votes. Now the key is education, if everyone understand the advantages of model 3, the wait time will instantly pass 5 years. Global car sale is 80 million a year. 10% of that goes to model 3 is quite reasonable.

So why would anyone buy a Model S now?
Model S is a much larger car; Model S is a hatchback which can be used to haul huge, heavy things (Model 3 has a smaller trunk and frunk); Model S has a dashboard instrument cluster (many people don't like the single screen design of the Model 3). Think of Model S as the Lincoln to the Model 3's Ford, if you will.

So why would anyone buy a Model S now?

He is trying hard to pop the stock, but he claims he isn't worried about stock price :( There are double bookings in this count. Some people reserved multiple cars (a father-son duo reserved ten in store). When Elon said "Model 3 orders, whether in store or online, are limited to two per person", did he mean minimum of two? Glad to see the Tesla software engineers help out Elon with the reservation count.

But don't worry. The reservation count will vanish from quarterly reports, just like the Model X reservation count that vanished long ago. Or the Powerwall count.
You really think Tesla intentionally did double booking to pop up the stock price? Anyone who has this kind of mentality has high risk to lose.

Not too sure that's going to happen any more.

Tanner, I feel your pain. I'm a novice trader and I made a bone head move last week when emotions were running hot and cost myself six figures. With that in mind, even with these AMAZING numbers. It isn't cause for the stock to magically increase the company's value by billions of dollars. With that said, if you believed the company was worth whatever you paid say $250, you believed it was going to go up. You believed that because you have faith in its vision for the future. That vision hasn't changed in the last $15 of share price. Go for a run, relax and wait for delivery numbers to come out Everything will be fine. :)

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Model X is the wild card here. The troubled production ramp, combined with excitement over Model 3, has pretty much put Model X in the back of minds. If the Model X production ramp reaches Elon's goals, and deliveries/revenues are great, I think it's possible to see a repeat stock surge.

This is a big if though. It depends on the numbers at this point.
Model S in 2013 was an order of magnitude leap from Roadster, and also ensured the survival of Tesla. Model X would be a factor of 2 to the company. I'm not saying it's not impressive, but just don't think it is comparable to the significance of Model S back in 2013. Therefore, stock price will rise for sure, but still doubt we will have the 2013 moment this year.

Reactions: Lessmog
Status
Not open for further replies.