Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yeah... I don't think anyone is denying that Tesla is a trailblazer in the industry. Not only were/are they 5-10 years ahead of competition, but they continue to innovate and take their products to new heights. Not all companies/industry leaders can say that - look at the world of mobile tech for example. While I LOVE my iPhone, iPad, etc., all mobile tech revisions/new products (including from competitors) are becoming stale and stagnant. It's not so much about innovation as it is evolution for them (the same can be said for everyone else in the auto industry) - that's what sets Tesla apart, they're an innovator in their field.

I think it might be time to point out that Tesla is not a member of the Internal Combustion Engine industry any more than the Horseless Carriage makers like Ford were really members of the Horse-Drawn Carriage industry.

The reason why this is interesting is that it seems to have taken this morning for fund managers to separate TSLA out from their Automotive index funds because it would be a bit silly to sell off the automotive sector right now on news of the Model 3 without making that clear distinction otherwise you risk throwing out the baby with the bath water.

It would not be at all surprising if some fund managers were slow to catch on and ended up dragging down TSLA at a loss as a member of a sector sell off that Tesla itself is responsible for trouncing - when for example TSLA and GM ought probably to be a pair trade!

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I don't believe Elon hypes. He just tells it how it is. If things are good, he signals that by generally being very positive.

Trust me, I'm as big a Musk fan as there is, but he's clearly trying to draw attention or "hype". Not many here were expecting him to announce reservation numbers at the event, which he did, and then has tweeted an updated number 4 times since. I don't really have a problem with it, but he's definitely looking to get the SP higher for a capital raise in the near term. Again, nothing wrong with that, but that's how I see it.

Exactly my thoughts. Only thing is that won't "keep the 'but now cannibalization!' message at bay" simply because those orders were placed long before M3 reservations were a thing. We need Q2 reports to prove/disprove that.

I definitely agree that Q1 deliveries do not speak directly to cannibalization, but in the world of FUD and low information "reports" it's important to keep the narrative that Tesla is still experiencing high demand for S/X and is selling as many as they can produce.

Put another way, if Q1 falls short, do you really expect that FUD spreaders would conduct careful analysis and add nuance to their argument that "S/X demand falls off a cliff in anticipation of 3 reveal!"?

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I fail to see the relevance of Model X delivery numbers in the wake of what has happened in the last few days. The stock price is now being driven totally by the confidence, or lack thereof, that Tesla can make a solid profit on the Model 3.

This quarter's Model X deliveries are completely contingent on ramp issues specific to the Model X ramp. A few thousand more or less is irrelevant now to the valuation of TSLA.

Reactions: LST
Stock just hit $250

@dreamingof3 @AmpedRealtor

This has occurred before May, your position if you have not sold it already at a loss is in the money or better and hence I formally discharge disavow any obligation to eat my unwashed socks and send you the video.

@Curt Renz

Edit - Ha! Funny you should mention it. It hit my sock bet limit order.

The 'Optimism Index' is pinging quite high right now. I like to load up when the Optimism Index is way low. In January, you couldn't find a positive article on TSLA. Now it's difficult to find a negative one (outside of SA, which I avoid like the plague).

I sold some LEAPs and bought the stock today....got out of the Ferrari and back on the bus.

The 'Optimism Index' is pinging quite high right now. I like to load up when the Optimism Index is way low. In January, you couldn't find a positive article on TSLA. Now it's difficult to find a negative one (outside of SA, which I avoid like the plague).

I sold some LEAPs and bought the stock today....got out of the Ferrari and back on the bus.

Meh, this run is just getting started. Remember the real event for 2016 is some quarter, probably Q2 ER in Aug where they show polished financials. (maybe May For Q1, but that is a fan's hope). We are seeing something unusual, a run based on a product announcement. Good financial news is a stronger lever, whatever and whenever such news shows up.

To those wondering why Q1 deliveries matter... If they can show that the X is in heavy production that is a terrific 1-2 punch. The future looks great with the M3, and the present looks great with ramp hiccups in the past. If the X ramp is indeed out of the woods, then 2016 will look great financially.

Trust me, I'm as big a Musk fan as there is, but he's clearly trying to draw attention or "hype". Not many here were expecting him to announce reservation numbers at the event, which he did, and then has tweeted an updated number 4 times since. I don't really have a problem with it, but he's definitely looking to get the SP higher for a capital raise in the near term. Again, nothing wrong with that, but that's how I see it.
I don't agree, especially with "often exaggerating its importance or benefits"
verb
verb: hype; 3rd person present: hypes; past tense: hyped; past participle: hyped; gerund or present participle: hyping
promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits.

Meh, this run is just getting started. Remember the real event for 2016 is some quarter, probably Q2 ER in Aug where they show polished financials. (maybe May For Q1, but that is a fan's hope). We are seeing something unusual, a run based on a product announcement. Good financial news is a stronger lever, whatever and whenever such news shows up.

To those wondering why Q1 deliveries matter... If they can show that the X is in heavy production that is a terrific 1-2 punch. The future looks great with the M3, and the present looks great with ramp hiccups in the past. If the X ramp is indeed out of the woods, then 2016 will look great financially.
Totally agree about the 1-2 punch, which is why I'm still long. It's just that I have more downside protection when the excitement wears off with the stock instead of ATM calls.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
I don't agree, especially with "often exaggerating its importance or benefits"
verb
verb: hype; 3rd person present: hypes; past tense: hyped; past participle: hyped; gerund or present participle: hyping
promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits.

Exactly. He's not hyping at all. He is merely reporting a fact of how many orders have been received. Hyping is when you exaggerate the importance of something. He is not exaggerating the importance. He is just telling us like it is. That he might need to increase production to meet demand. That is reality, not hype.

Somewhat regret selling half my calls this morning. Got a good price for them, but getting a little excited now. However, by selling them, I am totally playing with house money at this point, so I can and will be greedy going forward. Will wait for Q1 numbers before I unload...

I expect a beat around 18000 deliveries. I think they sold probably 5000 cars alone in China in Q1.

That's quite optimistic. IMO. The head of China sales said, 10,000 in 2016. 5000 just in Q1 may be too much? So far, here is what we got:
US : 9000 from Inside EVS estitmate
Europe: 3000 estimate ( 2207 confirmed as of now)

Need 4000 from china and elsewhere to meet 16000 in q1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.