Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Int Prof, I believe silicone valley is near Hollywood.

It depends what your definition of near is, to modify a line of Bill Clinton's as he faced impeachment. Given our traffic growth here in the north, I've said for forty years we're L.A. north. And now we're getting some of your weather, thank God.

I'm sure Hollywood thinks it invented Silicone Valley but I would credit Stanford more.

I swaggered in with the opening "I'm an investor, not ready to buy yet, but I could if I sold." The very first response of the rep was, "keep your investment."
How refreshing. ICE dealerships add so much more value:rolleyes:

I'll be 82 by then. Born too early, smart too late. The story of my life.:oops:
The story of your life includes making it to smart. That's an accomplishment of only the very few and spiritually rich. You should be proud of that.

It depends what your definition of near is, to modify a line of Bill Clinton's as he faced impeachment. Given our traffic growth here in the north, I've said for forty years we're L.A. north. And now we're getting some of your weather, thank God.

I'm sure Hollywood thinks it invented Silicone Valley but I would credit Stanford more.
Silicon is the stuff they use to make microprocessors. Silicone is the stuff they use for breast augmentation. Hence the joke :).

Regards the $5 and the $55.

Tesla paid a labor rate of $55 to the main contractor. Main contractor stated it paid that $55 across to a subcontractor for part of the work. Third in line subcontractor apparently paid $5 to the worker. Tesla says it will help the worker anyway.

If that's truly the case, the subcontractor should be fired on principle alone. It's okay to take some of the profits, but not over 90%.

ESK, I'm still quite the novice. Are you saying you paired your shared by buying Sept 300 puts? Or you sold Sept 300 puts? If you are willing to give a short explanation I would very much appreciate it.
I am always holding shares long. For the trading portion of my portfolio I sold 300 strike puts with sept expiry. Just another way to cash in on upward price movements before sept with leverage.

If that's truly the case, the subcontractor should be fired on principle alone. It's okay to take some of the profits, but not over 90%.

This was for the upgraded paint shop job in 2015 which is probably completed by now. I suspect the $55 per hour was a per headcount rate that contractors were free to allocate across various pay grades as they saw fit as well as take a management fee out of it. What this would mean for Tesla is that they would clock lets say 200 people through security and pay the lead contractor $55 per head but it is none of Tesla's business who gets paid what for being there. I guess in future Tesla will set some sort of minimum workers comp standards for contractors to prevent future embarrassment.

It is also not conclusively the case that the subcontractor skimmed all $50 out of $55 for all of its workers or anything like it. In the case of this guest worker for example they could have had a supervisor at $135 and two guest workers at $5 for three lots of $55 and skimmed a more reasonable $30 fee at $10 per head - but allocated wages in a really disproportionate manner like this. What I suspect Tesla will do is prevail on this subcontractor to bonus the people it underpaid and perhaps Tesla itself will also offer some final and binding injury compensation to the worker that apparently fell three floors on the job at Tesla's factory location - either that or insist the subcontractor does.

This was for the upgraded paint shop job in 2015 which is probably completed by now. I suspect the $55 per hour was a per headcount rate that contractors were free to allocate across various pay grades as they saw fit as well as take a management fee out of it. What this would mean for Tesla is that they would clock lets say 200 people through security and pay the lead contractor $55 per head but it is none of Tesla's business who gets paid what for being there. I guess in future Tesla will set some sort of minimum workers comp standards for contractors to prevent future embarrassment.

It is also not conclusively the case that the subcontractor skimmed all $50 out of $55 for all of its workers or anything like it. In the case of this guest worker for example they could have had a supervisor at $135 and two guest workers at $5 for three lots of $55 and skimmed a more reasonable $30 fee at $10 per head - but allocated wages in a really disproportionate manner like this. What I suspect Tesla will do is prevail on this subcontractor to bonus the people it underpaid and perhaps Tesla itself will also offer some final and binding injury compensation to the worker that apparently fell three floors on the job at Tesla's factory location - either that or insist the subcontractor does.

What I also believe is not being accounted for, is that the sub-contractor to the paint shop contractor was apparently providing for a living arrangements and transportation needs of the foreign workers, essentially subtracting these expenses from the workers pay. I am not sure how equitable this arrangement was, but it can't be ignored.

• Informative
Reactions: skljsd329832
Tesla has reported (annual? or Q1?) it is complete.

Hence the term "probably completed by now". I don't know for certain that there are no finishing touches but it stands to reason it probably is. The budget for it was confirmed as a component of 2015 CapEx citing 500,000 unit capacity and advanced Model 3 readiness (in respect to the paint shop).

From 2015 Q3 Shareholder's letter:

"In Q3, we exceeded our plan by producing 13,091 vehicles, including our first Model X vehicles, despite a one-week shut down to expand manufacturing capacity. During the factory shut down, we retooled our final assembly line to increase throughput by over 35%, completed and commissioned our new paint shop, enabled new stamping equipment and launched Model X on its own new robotic body line."

Some more news on Tesla in talks with suppliers for the Model-3, in this case for the steering, brake and suspension parts Mando).
One more sign Tesla should be getting close to have the main parts of the Model-3 design done.

South Korea's Mando in talks to supply parts for Tesla's Model 3: source

There was some talk recently on Tesla talking with LG. Many assumed for LiION cells. The article also refers to LG, but in this case LG Display :

LG Display (034220.KS) and Hankook Tire (161390.KS) are among South Korean firms which plan to supply their products for the Model 3, sources have said.

Hmmm,

LG also offers HUD.. Auto Display - Products - Product / Technology | LG Display
Note the "Ultra High Resolution Head-up Display" picture on that LG page.

Also relevant : Report: Tesla Model 3’s 15-inch display is made by LG

I agree, interesting to see the LG HUD display being available and knowing that Tesla is going to be a customer of LG for displays.

For reference:

img_auto_aply02.jpg

So basically, South Korean suppliers are up for the challenge to meet the July 2017 target date. Good on them.

Now the shorts will be hoping and praying for Kim Jong Un to start a war.

:)

And even that would not help them in this case. Mando has production in USA (So these parts would still be made-in-USA).

BTW: Interesting link below of what a HUD module looks like. (In this case continental for BMW)
Also mentions a low cost price of US$ 142, however this is for a pretty low resolution.
Teardown: BMW's New Head-up Display | Electronics360
I can imagine a HUD could save costs compared to full dashboard when all production costs are considered.

Last edited:

Tedious article about Chinese walls. No they don't really mean anything because there is just nothing stopping an analyst forecasting (into the future) a post raise picture of a business his own firm is about to fund. Would be a bit dumb to miss pertinent and known data point like that and have to correct your research three days later. Like OMG they need money, 3 days later: OMG they just got the money they needed - and it was from us! Who could have known?

So more importantly what is the new Morgan Stanley TSLA price target? Google..... OK so it's $333.

Good. Room for a beat and another upgrade on Q2 ER.

Last edited:
The devonshire research instistitute of advanced studies (yeah right,whatever, never heard) just issued a report on Tesla,
the usual garbage about tesla being the next enron......
That apparently is responsible for the early price break.

Never mind about Devonshire. Operated by a know black-hat hacker. ~Zero street cred. It's like 1% as credible as Citron.

Tedious article about Chinese walls. No they don't really mean anything because there is just nothing stopping an analyst forecasting (into the future) a post raise picture of a business his own firm is about to fund. Would be a bit dumb to miss pertinent and known data point like that and have to correct your research three days later. Like OMG they need money, 3 days later: OMG they just got the money they needed - and it was from us! Who could have known?

So more importantly what is the new Morgan Stanley TSLA price target? Google..... OK so it's $333.

Good. Room for a beat and another upgrade on Q2 ER.

Agree with the first bit. Wouldn't look to Jonas for any price guidance though. He had a price target of 320 as early as Feb 2014. We all know how things have evolved. His price targets have varied quite dramatically over time but for more than two years his targets have been abnormally much higher than prevailing prices and the stock failed badly in meeting his targets. Maybe this time is different as X is finally turning around. Lets hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.