Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I realized that shortly after posting. Though the radar should give the object extent, i.e.: wow that's a 40ft long wall (semi), not a car.
Yeah, but a 40 ft long wall is an odd thing to see across a highway. The autopilot will get better with time, right now it's unreasonale to expect that it will handle every situation.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The market is truly irrational if this incident overshadows Q2 numbers (unless there's a ho-hum result of meeting guidance exactly or something). A single death, tragic as it is, is not going to have a material long-term impact on Tesla's business prospects.

Do you remember those three fires with the MS a few years back? That was an even smaller problem (no one died), but the whole world went banana's for a few weeks. The stock market loves to act irrational!

Reactions: madodel and X Yes?
Levy County Journal Report

In a separate crash on May 7 at 3:40 p.m. on U.S. 27 near the BP Station west of Williston, a 45-year-old Ohio man was killed when he drove under the trailer of an 18-wheel semi.
The top of Joshua Brown’s 2015 Tesla Model S vehicle was torn off by the force of the collision. The truck driver, Frank Baressi, 62, Tampa was not injured in the crash.
The FHP said the tractor-trailer was traveling west on US 27A in the left turn lane toward 140th Court. Brown’s car was headed east in the outside lane of U.S. 27A.
When the truck made a left turn onto NE 140th Court in front of the car, the car’s roof struck the underside of the trailer as it passed under the trailer. The car continued to travel east on U.S. 27A until it left the roadway on the south shoulder and struck a fence. The car smashed through two fences and struck a power pole. The car rotated counter-clockwise while sliding to its final resting place about 100 feet south of the highway. Brown died at the scene.
Charges are pending.

Please note the following:

- This was a freak accident that happened yesterday
- Tesla proactively reported this to NHTSA (which also explains response time as well)
- NHTSA is opening a PRELIMINARY investigation that will pretty much inspect all aspects of the crash
- Again, it was an accidents-- they happen everyday but of course in Tesla fashion this was rather "spectacular"
- The sensors would not have read anything if nothing was there (in this case under a semi that is perpindicular), the timing had to be right-- had it been a few seconds earlier or later- I am confident the driver would have survived but the fact that the initial point of impact was the windshield I hate to say it but head trauma or decapitation were probably cause of death just based on sheer physics.
- If this were any other car the outcome probably would have been the same-- again physics

In a nutshell: Accidents happen. Move along.

Reactions: Johan
I'd be interested to know why the radar didn't see this. I understand the arguments about stationary objects (avoiding for example false positives with parked cars along the side of the road), but it seems like if something is dead ahead, and the closing speed is high, that's a problem that can be detected.

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 8m8 minutes ago
@artem_zin @theaweary Radar tunes out what looks like an overhead road sign to avoid false braking events

2 retweets11 likes

Oh yes! Over te next few days the news will be covered with this story. It is absolutely a tragedy, but the news will love to blow it out of proportions with headlines such as "Tesla's Autopilot caused death" and " Why you should never trust autonomous cars".

Big chance that it will overshadow the Q2 numbers next week. The only way to make sure that the media won't take this story to it's extremes is to have Musk go out and explain to the world why it happened and what they're going to do to make sure that it won't happen again (continuously updating the AP software).

It may blow up. it may not. I guess we were all waiting for the first death. hate to sound morbid. statistically, AP is safer than manual driving already, but it didnt reach the target of 2x safer. only about 1.5x - They still need a lot more data to prove consistently tho.

I do kinda hate talking about people like a statistic tho...

Sounds like a tragic corner case, and a reminder that we need to be ready to brake. This is probably the intersection in question and it shows why that truck would be doing that. It is a "divided highway" but not a restricted access freeway.

florida_intersection.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.