Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the flip side, I wonder what the chances are that SolarCity is pushing for a better deal. I don't pretend to know what their books look like, but Elon himself said that the company will be generating cash in the near future.

I plotted the historical SCTY/TSLA ratio and it looks like this is about the lowest it's ever been. The pink band represents the 0.122-0.131 exchange offer and the red dot is 6/21/16, the last trading day before the offer.

View attachment 187698
Thanks for the chart. Love it!

As far as a better deal goes, I can tell you that as a SolarCity shareholder I'd be delighted with .122. Why? Because I believe the combined company's stock will appreciate much faster than SCTY alone. It's the growth rate that matters in the long run.

What you see clearly in your chart is that this ratio has been declining for years. This means that Tesla has been appreciating faster than SolarCity. I don't believe that the merger will slow Tesla down at all. Rather it could speed it up and extend the decades of high growth opportunity. So had this merger happened a year ago at the market rate, SolarCity shareholders would have been much better off than they are today. Getting an exchange rate at a premium to market would be nice, but not at all necessary for this benefit.

Simply put, SolarCity shareholders will do better with this merger at any rate near the market rate than they will without the deal. I see no other suitor willing to pay more or capable of accelerating growth as well as Tesla. So we need to just get this done quickly. No need to haggle over a rate as generous as 0.122.

Status
Not open for further replies.