Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you guys are harsh. I was on the same tour with Chelsea, and saw and heard some (not all) of the same things. Her opinion of what we saw was sobering to me. She pointed out where the "smoke an mirrors" was, and there was much more than I saw at first...and I did see it too once she pointed it out. She mentioned she's toured several battery factories from other manufacturers before. During the tour, there were several Tesla employees who came over and greeted her warmly like old friends seeing each other again. She spoke to several at length.

She was a guest speaker at TMC Connect earlier in day, and is a great friend of TMC and the EV community, and yes Tesla too. She knows way more about what's going on in the industry than most here. It'd behoove some to peek outside the bubble and sober up a bit, and perhaps listen to that friend even if she isn't saying what you want to hear.
Hey if you could elaborate with one example of the smoke and mirrors cuz I'm interested to know which things I was seeing were exaggerated upon. I'm being serious here as I saw many things "in process" vs finished and what the script was describing was what it'll do when it's finished.

Fire Away!:confused:

Reactions: smythey and madodel
Back to TSLA

The "Tesla side was all about assembly of power packs for TE there were no signs of auto packs that I saw yet. The assembly involved a lot of robotics but had a significant amount of hand work still happening. The process is clearly in iterative stages and appears to be headed to nearly full automation right down to autonomous inventory bots a few of which were wandering around one of which greeted our tour by approaching us and saying "welcome to Tesla" and continuing on its mission. The workers were on an evening shift, many devoted to actual production, many building the machine right down to putting together and stocking the break areas. One sorta funny note was that the golf carts currently being use still are LA batteries, but I was assured by the employee that asked that the Li packs were close at hand, other priorities more important now...don't ya know. Which brings up order of priorities, there are very clear ones that are being pursued with great clarity, purpose and from what was demonstrated, the best possible order as well.

Fire away!:cool:
I'm going be the materialistic weasel of the forum and ask can anyone give us any idea of how much TE products have been produced and delivered this quarter? They started the production at the GF at the end of Q4 2015, so it's possible that they've delivered quite a lot. OTOH they're still ramping it's possible that it's still not very much.

My reaction to watching the video of the event is that I finally understand what Elon means by designing and building the factory as a product (finally!). He doesn't mean that in terms of having a production line churning out GF's. He means using the same attention to detail designing the factory as they use designing/optimizing their products.

Edit addition:

Musk on the factory design: The factory itself is considered to be a product. The factory is the machine that builds the machine. It actually deserves more attention from creative and problem solving engineers than the product it makes. What we’re seeing, if we take a creative engineer and apply them to designing the machine that makes the machine, they can make 5 times as much headway per hour, than if they work on the product itself.

I'm hopeful that the market will see that the tofu is sizzling on the grill. The market should be able to figure out that TE is really close. Maybe (this is probably too much to hope for) it will start to figure out that Elon wasn't just throwing s**t on the wall with his accelerated M3 ramp, but he spent the time (duh) between the reveal and announcing it working on the plan, that a big part of the plan is the acceleration of the GF, and that that plan appears to be moving along smoothly.

Last edited:
The Facebook video is good. You can slide ahead to Q&A. Search tesla on Facebook on your phone.
The only video I found on facebook is the video of the party from Friday. The quality of that on YouTube is excellent (it sucked live). What I'd like to to hear is the Q&A with analysts from Tuesday the 26th.

I'm not very familiar with FB, used my wife's account to look for the video, so if I missed it please let me know.

Or if it's available someplace else please let me know.

Thanks!

I'm going be the materialistic weasel of the forum and ask can anyone give us any idea of how much TE products have been produced and delivered this quarter? They started the production at the GF at the end of Q4 2015, so it's possible that they've delivered quite a lot. OTOH they're still ramping it's possible that it's still not very much.

25 mWh according to my tour guide when I asked - didn't distinguish what products had what percentage of that number.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog

25 mWh according to my tour guide when I asked - didn't distinguish what products had what percentage of that number.
Well, that's peanuts. At $450/kWh, it is only a little over $11m in revenue.

Hey if you could elaborate with one example of the smoke and mirrors cuz I'm interested to know which things I was seeing were exaggerated upon. I'm being serious here as I saw many things "in process" vs finished and what the script was describing was what it'll do when it's finished.

I can see how someone could interpret what we saw in the Panasonic section as smoke and mirrors, with the presses still with their protective wrappings and metal studs of some interior walls covered in plastic because the sheet rock hadn't been hung yet. Our guide said several times that they rushed to get the machinery in place for the grand opening so we could get a feel for what it was going to be like when cell production begins later this year.

We also didn't and won't get to see the upper floors on both the Panasonic and Tesla sections where cell and battery module assembly takes place. I'm guessing that there is a significant degree more automation in those two areas than currently takes place in Japan and Fremont. Otherwise they can't reach their cost reduction goals since according to our guide the Panasonic area we saw in Reno is very similar to what he saw when visiting their production facilities in Japan.

As an aside, my daughter's boyfriend has had a summer internship at the Gigafactory. He hasn't been able to say much about what has gone on at the Gigafactory this summer because of his NDA. But his enthusiasm for Tesla and what he learned and accomplished this summer is extremely high. He told me that every one of the 20 or so interns there this summer absolutely wants to work for Tesla after they graduate from college. That says a lot to me.

So it's Q3 (at the earliest) before we're going get the TE grilled tofu.

Maybe if part of the delay is due to lack of cells it might be ether Q4 or Q1 before we see a substantial number on the bottom line. That should be substantial though, due to both an increase in production and the lower cost of cells.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lessmog
I asked how much to date, he gave sort of a long winded answer so it's possible he had a different timeframe in his head. I too was surprised. He is one of the battery engineers working in Palo Alto, but had only been with the company for a few months, so maybe things were scrambled - it was also after midnight.

This video of the tour portion of the party is interesting to me at least:

20 minutes detailed #gigafactory Tour... you like the detail?

Published on Jul 30, 2016During the party of the opening of the #gigafactory I made a video of the tour. First they describe the inside of the panasonic part of the factory where they make the cells. later we get a tour what testa does with the batteries.. they make powerwalls and powerpacks. Gives you an impression whats happening today.

Two things:
The guide gave the same figure of 25 mwh.

And no surprise the cells are terminated on the ends. That's required to be compatible with their current manufacturing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.