Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True. When I got the 90D, the 90 was new, and the D was new. I went from less than 250 miles range (3 year old battery) to 300 miles, which I have done on a couple occasions. That's quite a jump, and with AP and several other new things, it was worth upgrading. I wonder how a 100 battery would be that big of a draw.
Not all 100D customers will be current 85 owners. There are lots of people who still think EVs don't have enough range. I think the 100D will get new customers to get off the fence and finally give EVs a chance.

Still on post TMC connect vacation but checking in to say I got back in this morning. If the big earnings miss can't lower the stock what hopes can shorts have any More? It's just that simple. Blue sky ahead. 2h 2016 will be epic even without a hot Q3 financially. We are overdue to retest ATH.

Also I don't believe in the theory of a short squeeze due to voting. There will just be a low voter turnout like every other vote ever. No one is energized about voting against it, so it will pass with a tepid plurality. There might well be a squeeze due to other reasons like good old fashioned panicking.

Not all 100D customers will be current 85 owners. There are lots of people who still think EVs don't have enough range. I think the 100D will get new customers to get off the fence and finally give EVs a chance.

A lot of model S owners, like me, plan to skip a generation. I have a P85 with no AP. An AP 90d is tempting but not enough to get me off the couch. An AP 2.0 100D would have me camping at the store

image-jpeg.188733

Jim Cramer on Twitter

That Pulitzer guy is spot on. Someone should give him a prize. :)

a couple of thoughts on AP2.0:
1) I agree that 2.0 will be revealed for S/X sometime this year because per Elon new tech will always appear first in S/X, so the reveal must occur prior to M3 reveal part 2.
2) Unlike the AP1.0 reveal, which occurred before the sw was ready (how many months after the 1.0 reveal before sw was available?), I would expect something similar for 2.0 EXCEPT that I think that when they start shipping 2.0 hw it's going have to work at least as well as 1.0 (not sure customers would go for buying a car with less functionality than the prev generation).
3) If you buy my assertion in 2) that seems a lot harder than jus shipping cars with new hw. They have to have a lot of functionality in there from the get go, and with new sensor suite and new computing platform to boot.

So I'm a bit skeptical that AP 2.0 is right around the corner. Curious to hear other's ideas about the rollout might go tho.

I assume he's mentally subtracting additional opex related to Model 3 launch when saying Tesla would be profitable without Model 3 ramp. I'm thinking of things like adding new stores and other infrastructure necessitated by Model 3.
-----
The point is that Tesla could stop trying to expand and grow and would instantly be a profitable company. Since Tesla has bigger ambitions, however, the profit just isn't going to be there for the time being - until they scale up.

About investing in growth and profitability.

If the asset's useful life extends more than a year, then the company must capitalize the expense, using depreciation to spread the cost of the assetover its designated useful life. Capital expenses are most often depreciated over a five- to 10-year period (buildings longer)

So does investments in machinery, buildings (stores, service centers), superchargers etc explain losses, because they are depriciated over several years?

I expected an opening smack-down today and took advantage of it. If it happens tomorrow, I'll do the same. The problem the shorts have is that they really can't sustain much of a smack-down any more because the smarter and more powerful shorts are getting out of TSLA and shares are not plentiful to borrow. Compounding the situation is that Tesla longs are bullish on the future and don't scare easily any more....

With all due respect @Papafox, I'm bullish but no one has ever accused me of not scaring easily. ;-)
It's been a quite a week.
Friday:
Hmmm. I guess I should have read through this thread before my latest stock move. I sold a chunk of my short term TSLA for $235 today and picked up SCTY shares figuring I was getting future TSLA at ~$220. I felt pretty smart for about 4 hours.
Now holding a TSLA/SCTY ratio of 60/40. It was around 75/25.
So, I'm pretty exposed if SCTY merge begins to falter and have a pretty weak upside potential if your thesis is correct.
Oh well, nothing significant ever happens over the weekend with TSLA, right???

Monday:
Yup. Got spanked.
Sold SCTY this morning at $25.60.
...I kept a good portion of the TSLA sale at $235 as cash so I didn't go "all in" with SCTY.
Tuesday:
Yeah. Another stop-loss event at $226 for what remained of my short-term TSLA position. ...
Thursday:
I re-entered with a small purchase at ~$223 today ...

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
a couple of thoughts on AP2.0:
1) I agree that 2.0 will be revealed for S/X sometime this year because per Elon new tech will always appear first in S/X, so the reveal must occur prior to M3 reveal part 2.
2) Unlike the AP1.0 reveal, which occurred before the sw was ready (how many months after the 1.0 reveal before sw was available?), I would expect something similar for 2.0 EXCEPT that I think that when they start shipping 2.0 hw it's going have to work at least as well as 1.0 (not sure customers would go for buying a car with less functionality than the prev generation).
3) If you buy my assertion in 2) that seems a lot harder than jus shipping cars with new hw. They have to have a lot of functionality in there from the get go, and with new sensor suite and new computing platform to boot.

So I'm a bit skeptical that AP 2.0 is right around the corner. Curious to hear other's ideas about the rollout might go tho.

I agree with what you are saying but I tend to think AP 2.0 sw could easily ignore the extra hw sensors and still have equivalent to 1.0 functionality (although more likely is that Tesla will not pass on the opportunity to push the envelope so they may not WANT to release the hw with only similar functionality.

Reactions: RobStark
First Autopilot accident in China.

Google translate link Google Translate

Original Chinese link: 特斯拉自动驾驶中国首撞!无视障碍物加速_网易科技

My edits for highlights from Google Translate:
Before a crash Tesla autopilot system has at least 5 seconds of reaction time, but Tesla AP system ignores Santana completely, leading Tesla Model S rub all the way against the right side of Santana when passing through, there is varying degrees of damage for both cars.

Fortunately there is no casualty. I watched the video, it's definitely AP bug but Tesla will blame owner anyway.

Last edited:
It sounded kind of muffled on the call, but I thought I heard 2k a week for 3Q and a goal of 3k a week for 4Q with a week or two of holiday. Anybody else hear that? I'm thinking that 21k is pretty conservative, and they'll also probably try to beat guidance not just meet it.
I'd be happy to see 21k. Even if they can be confident to be 2.2k/week production, that would be 26.4k. And I'm sure there will be some downtime to retool or to solve some unexpected stuff that by probability would happen. So Let's say 10% off the 26.4k, 23.8k. In Q3 they are also going to expand stores and service centers, these require showroom and loaners. Existing stores/service centers also need the new Model S (maybe not US, but outside, so, close to half of the existing footprint). So I would say taking another 10% off the 23.8k would be almost generous. 21.4k. Yes we have 5k in transit at the end of Q2. But, there will also be maybe the same amount in transit at the end of Q3. There have been over 2k in transit at the end of Q when production was at 1k/week, it is only natural to have 4~5k in transit when you double production.

Status
Not open for further replies.