Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway we are now talking about Model 3 and normal time to market from design freeze is 24 moths. You believe, that Tesla can do that faster than car manufacturers in general. I don't. We can agree to disagree.

You must certainly be aware that Model 3 has been planned for a very long time, and much of the car was "frozen" long before the "pencils down" date. This is not a "start from scratch, Summer 16" kind of timeline.

Couple thoughts about product dev timelines:

Regarding Model3 launch concerns, I'm sure we will get lots of progress updates during Q3 call.

That said:

Per DaveT, it's high time to start seeing Model3 Alphas running around. Alpha builds don't require an assembly line or body-in-white weld line. Just stamp the panels and weld up the body by hand, paint it and assemble the rest. Just like the prototypes already in existence. Doesn't require the final interior either.

Just a FYI that the Electric link shows a different GS analyst than Bloomberg (Patrick Archambault vs. David Tamberrino). If it is David (per Bloomberg) then I'm much less concerned.

Tesla’s (TSLA) stock is down after Goldman Sachs cuts price target, sees slower Model 3 ramp up
Goldman Downgrades Tesla, Months After Underwriting Offering

They have very different track records per Tip Rank:

Patrick Archambault
https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/patrick-archambault
Ranked #385 out of 4,190 Analysts
(#523 of 9,650 overall experts)

David Tamberrino:
https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/david-tamberrino
Ranked #3,978 out of 4,190 Analysts
(#9,202 of 9,650 overall experts)

It is very confusing at best to me. Who in GS did the upgrade recommendation in May? Was it Patrick or David? Patrick usually attends earnings calls. Has anything changed? Has Patrick stopped covering TSLA?

Just a FYI that the Electric link shows a different GS analyst than Bloomberg (Patrick Archambault vs. David Tamberrino). If it is David (per Bloomberg) then I'm much less concerned.

Tesla’s (TSLA) stock is down after Goldman Sachs cuts price target, sees slower Model 3 ramp up

Patrick Archambault

David Tamberrino:

If an analyst who is at the 5th percentile on Tipranks with a 33% success rate downgrades a stock, shouldn't that in actuality be a bullish indicator? It would better for investors to tune out someone with a negative 45 % return in a bull market.

Anyway, I understand the arguments both ways and plan on just holding TSLA long term. If the market cannot appreciate TSLA's value, Elon should look for funds outside the market from other entities who understand Tesla's true inherent value and are willing to take a stake.

It is very confusing at best to me. Who in GS did the upgrade recommendation in May? Was it Patrick or David? Patrick usually attends earnings calls. Has anything changed? Has Patrick stopped covering TSLA?

Per Bloomberg:
"Since he had upgraded the stock, Archambault has left Goldman. Tamberrino was on his team at the time."

Couple thoughts about product dev timelines:

Regarding Model3 launch concerns, I'm sure we will get lots of progress updates during Q3 call.

That said:

Per DaveT, it's high time to start seeing Model3 Alphas running around. Alpha builds don't require an assembly line or body-in-white weld line. Just stamp the panels and weld up the body by hand, paint it and assemble the rest. Just like the prototypes already in existence. Doesn't require the final interior either.

Alphas or Betas?

Aren't the prototypes we saw in March the alphas?

Seems to me its about time to see a small fleet of handbuilt Beta builds, and then seeing pre-production units rolling off the actual assembly line sometime late spring-ish next year.

Of course, its quite possible the fleet of prototypes already exist (or very nearly so) and we just haven't seen them because Tesla is keeping them under wraps until reveal part deux (which I expect Tesla is ready to do whenever, but they're waiting until the same week as the launch of the Bolt to steal GM's thunder by showing off all the reasons you should really wait for your Model 3 instead of buying a Bolt now.)

Alphas or Betas?

Seems to me its about time to see a small fleet of handbuilt Beta builds, and then seeing pre-production units rolling off the actual assembly line sometime late spring-ish next year.

Of course, its quite possible the fleet of prototypes already exist (or very nearly so) and we just haven't seen them because Tesla is keeping them under wraps until reveal part deux (which I expect Tesla is ready to do whenever, but they're waiting until the same week as the launch of the Bolt to steal GM's thunder by showing off all the reasons you should really wait for your Model 3 instead of buying a Bolt now.)
I could have sworn I saw at least a couple of Model III Alpha variants parked behind the Gigafactory during the unveiling, did anyone else notice them? They were parked behind the factory, not too far from the electrical power substation. I noticed them when I walked up to the elevated viewing area - most folks took a shuttle bus so I'm not sure if you could see them from the bus.

Alphas or Betas?

IIRC, the history of the S and X has been:

S Proto-type Reveal--April 2009
S Alpha--Completed Dec. 2010 (approved by BoD at Jan 2011 meeting for option vesting purposes)
S Beta- Completed by early Oct. 2011 (Fremont ride event)
S Initial Production--mid June 2012
S Volume Production--1Q13

X Proto-type Reveal--Feb.2012
X Alpha--August 2014 (????) (The April 2014 Proxy said not complete yet; the April, 2015 proxy said completed)
X Beta--Jan/Feb 2015(???) The April 2014 Proxy said not complete yet; the April, 2015 proxy said completed)
X Initial Production--late Sept. 2015
X Volume Production--2Q16

The most common definition of terms appears to be:
Alpha--95-99% Engineering Design Complete
Beta --95-99% Production Design Complete

Alphas or Betas?

I could be wrong, but I think Beta cars are largely built with "production intent parts"

Alphas or Betas?

I always felt sorry for Apple's competitors that released new devices at the same time as the latest iPod/iPhone/iPad. If Tesla does Part Deux around the time of the Bolt is released, I won't feel sorry for GM.

I do find it interesting that the Bloomberg article says, "Analysts estimate that Musk will need to raise as much as $2 billion."

That's not $3 billion, or $4 billion. And it's as much as $2 billion. The question is whether it needs up to $2 billion for 2017 or it wants up to $2 billion to accelerate 2018/2019. There's a big difference between the two.

Two things come to mind. First, if Tesla wants to raise in Q4 now, I think they are forced to tell us, as in the investor community more about their plans for 2017-2019. Potentially tell us a lot more about Tesla Energy - which means the dog and pony show at the end of the month and/or Q3 earnings call will need to have financial projections, including capacity projections.

They also need to tip their hands more on the status of the Model 3 build out. Just flat out stating they are on track is not getting the job done.

Goldman Sacks same evil bullshit as usual. This is a huge buying opportunity for bulls who think Solar City and existing pre-merger Tesla merged are bigger than the addition of the separate parts, as I do. Of course it will take a year to show this, and this might hurt the overall goal of Tesla to save the planet and also exist as a company, and Goldman Sacks knows all this and would rather enrich a few useless fat cats and kill the rest of us in the future.

So, if we believe Tesla can survive this Goldman Sacks attack, this is a bull case.

Last edited:
Having endured several named storms and their aftermath, my thoughts (and prayers if that is permissible here) are with our fellow citizens along the east coast of Florida. Hindsight is always 20/20, but here's hoping that Tesla/SolarCity was prescient enough to be testing a proto-type of the roofing system in Florida to get some empirical data about its durability in a (close-to) worse case real world scenario..

Patrick Archambault

David Tamberrino:
I just spoke to my Goldman contact ( who is a happy Model S owner) and he confirmed they have a new analyst following Tesla. He defended the downgrade as "a new set of eyes " looking at the company and it being part of the concerns about the auto sector overall that were called out in the full 80 page report.

Status
Not open for further replies.