Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

Elon Musk’s House of Gigacards

By buying SolarCity, Elon Musk is making an already difficult job much harder

Haven't finished reading the article, but the tone appears to be quite negative. I've noticed a shift in sentiment in the tech press and by some tech pundits over recent months, a lot of it seems to be based on the same arguments that the bears use, so hopefully will be disproven soon.

MIT Technology Review has been anti-Tesla for a very long time. Not sure why, but they also published slanted anti-EV pieces. They have the MIT name, but have been certainty tarnishing that name for years now.

Are you a professional trader? Your comment seems quite misinformed and confused.
Shorts weren't holding your shares, some other longs were. Every short position also means an additional long position. If short positions decreased, so did long positions. So, we can also say that some longs lost their apetite to hold the shares.

Now consider this alternate explanation. Fidelity has sold several thousand call options and put options. Anytime TSLA goes up, they borrow yours and others, and supply additional demand by shorting. It goes down, they cover, reduce supply of shares and return your shares. All call and put option holders lose, while Fidelity rakes in big profits.

No this is incorrect. The first part at least. Only a short seller creates demand for borrowed shares. If a long bought a share from a short and loses his appetite for it, he sells it to another long. The only way that demand for borrowed shares falls is if supply increases or short sellers cover. In this case it's possible that supply has increased now that the recall is over, but my point is that the number of longs have no direct impact on the demand for borrowed shares. Only short sellers create demand to borrow shares.

Edit: ok you're more correct than I gave you credit for, but the point I am trying to make is that it is the short seller who creates demand for borrowed shares and decides when he no longer demands those borrowed shares.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and madodel
I can't tell if you're trolling or if you're actually serious. All of your posts are extremely bullish but without any real reasoning or substance. I hope you're right and I hope you make a lot of money but I'll probably skip on reading some of your posts :) This forum is bullish enough as is and I don't want posts like yours to have a subconscious affect on me.
I'm just trolling
(And the thousands of shares of TSLA I own and tons of J 18 calls are simply a figment of my imagination. I happen to be a pathetic loser with less than a 100 shares of TSLA and I troll this message board simply to feed my ego)
I can't believe you're so perceptive!
Some guys on this message board are simply geniuses!:)

A little OT...

Do you think there's any chance TeslaVision is like this:

If Elon and company come out on October 17th in white suits and goggles, I'll sell everything I own and buy every last share.
hahaha. I just watched this two days ago with my daughter and when this scene came on I thought about this too. WonkaVision! I feel like Elon is our crazy Wonka of today and that sometimes some of us on here are like the kid......

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel
I'm just trolling
(And the thousands of shares of TSLA I own and tons of J 18 calls are simply a figment of my imagination. I happen to be a pathetic loser with less than a 100 shares of TSLA and I troll this message board simply to feed my ego)
I can't believe you're so perceptive!
Some guys on this message board are simply geniuses!:)
I always find it funny when people "disclose" their holdings to prove how important they are... usually they are just telling stories.

I'm starting to think that the "new product" will be the p75D rather than AP 2.0... Hope I'm wrong...
I think Elon is watching the stock and the timing of those tweets coincided with the PPS hitting the last upper trend line before a potentially large breakdown in the stock. the stock is the only thing that will provide them with the cash they need for the aggressive ramp to M3... so it is basically the single most important factor for Tesla right now... and if there was a significant drop soon... then SCTY would be off... a large cap raise would be difficult and the M3 would be significantly delayed.

so it doesn't matter what the product is... it could be a robot bird... what matters is headlines like this:

Tesla losing streak ends after Elon Musk promises not to seek more cash

First post here, been in the background for some time. Tesla and TSLA fanatic here.

Not sure if this has been speculated here yet, but is there a chance that the product is related to the gigafactory? Perhaps announcing long-term plans for more locations? Elon has described it specifically as a product in the past. Just my two cents.
Welcome Donzer.

It's true that EM has called the GF a product, but since they've stated that they can triple the initial production capacity of GF1, it would be a little premature to break ground on another.

My bet is A/P 2.0 with a HUD.

Don't forget Clinton becoming president and investing massively in Solar and EVs.
If that happens, we need the stock to climb for 6 years before we sell, so we don't get nailed by her crazy capital gains tax plan! :eek:

clinton_convention_2.png

Blue line is current tax rate. Red line is Clinton tax plan for capital gains.

Last edited:
Truth is that if all AP did was butter toast it would be seen as dangerous by some.
Yup. Some portion of the population is just always going to be vehemently opposed to the changing of the status quo.

Tesla has done, and is continuing to do, a fairly remarkable job of dismantling every reasonable argument against the adoption of electric cars. Low performance? Nah, how about the quickest unlimited production car ever built, and even the limited production vehicles competitive in that regard are 10x the price. Low range? Nope. High cost? For now, but $ per unit performance they represent some of the best value available, and model 3 will take that even further. Long tailpipe? Nope, easy to actually do the math and demonstrate they're better than ICEVs even when powered by coal fired electricity.

Tesla is making some of the most unquestionably compelling products I can think of. Can anybody think of another product so universally compelling over its competing technologies in any market?

Status
Not open for further replies.