Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla is making some of the most unquestionably compelling products I can think of. Can anybody think of another product so universally compelling over its competing technologies in any market?

Ok, I can think of some examples: Color TV (took a while, but once it was cost competitive (ca. 1970s) with B&W, completely took over), Similarly flat-panel TVs and computer monitors (took over and ushered in the end of the CRT fairly quickly). Digital cameras obliterated film cameras in very short order once the technology got acceptably good on the quality spectrum. When was the last time you saw a photo developing shop? I'm not even sure I'd know where to take a roll of film to get it developed today - 20 years ago I could have walked into any major grocery store.

Original iphone. iPod.
Never mind, those didn't do much for Apple stock.... :D

Yeah, I guess, though I would really say the technology is smartphones as a whole.

I believe the Model 3 represents the inflection point of EV technology, where it becomes both good enough, and cheap enough for it to achieve that kind of total market domination. What's weird this time is the total lack of competitors driving the market with Tesla. All those other technologies had more than one company pushing the newer, better technology.

Anyone knows how the voting works if you have your shares at a brokerage "online". I suppose most people don`t own physical documents anymore... do we just get a notification/email form the brokerage and get the directions there? Tesla talks about a "proxy card", but I don`t think we`ll actually receive that via (e)mail, right?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Just to add on to the thoughts on TeslaVision, if that is it, "buy the rumor and sell the news" would seem to apply. Except one must consider the ER a week later. Agree? or Disagree?

Before you need to worry about selling the news, there has to be a run-up on the rumor. So far zilch, so no worries.

I like the penalty box analogy. Good news isn't having much effect, but eventually something has to give. Also, all the recent news could be sort of considered more sizzle/promises. Even the delivery numbers only matter in the sense of predicting something good later (good financials, meeting delivery guidance for the year). So the steak is coming soon hopefully and will get us out of the penalty box.

Reactions: CatB and BornToFly
Anyone knows how the voting works if you have your shares at a brokerage "online". I suppose most people don`t own physical documents anymore... do we just get a notification/email form the brokerage and get the directions there? Tesla talks about a "proxy card", but I don`t think we`ll actually receive that via (e)mail, right?
I've been able to go onto my Fidelity account and vote for things.

Have they published the SolarCity version of that update? I am particularly interested in learning the SolarCity record date.

Edit: Here is the relevant quote from SolarCity's proxy...

SolarCity Proxy said:
The SolarCity Board has fixed the close of business on September 23, 2016 as the record date for determination of SolarCity stockholders entitled to receive notice of, and to vote at, the SolarCity Special Meeting or any adjournments or postponements thereof. Only holders of record of shares of SolarCity Common Stock at the close of business on the record date are entitled to notice of, and to vote at, the special meeting and at any adjournment of the meeting.

Last edited:
If that happens, we need the stock to climb for 6 years before we sell, so we don't get nailed by her crazy capital gains tax plan! :eek:

View attachment 198330

Blue line is current tax rate. Red line is Clinton tax plan for capital gains.

Hopefully doesn't go anywhere in congress. Not a fan of new taxes on LT cap gains.

My shares are in a non-margin brokerage account with Fidelity. Past experience with other companies' shares I have had was to receive an actual proxy vote card, but the past year or so almost all have been online votes via email. In the past if I ignored it I would get repeat mailing/emails and on one occasion a phone call begging me to vote my shares. Before the emails directed me to sign on to a web site (I seem to recall proxyvote.com) to perform the actual voting, though now it is all done through my fidelity online account web page.

• Helpful
Reactions: mrdoubleb
Status
Not open for further replies.