Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so any calculations for model 3 reservations with 690M in customer deposits? Over 500k or not?

SeekingAlpha super-bear Montana Skeptic had this to say before the ER:

"Customer deposits as of June 30, 2016 were $680 million. So, if the September 30 number is greater than $681 million, we can surmise a likely increase in Model 3 net deposits. And, if it's less, we can surmise a likely decrease.Given all the play in the joints with the customer deposits definition, I would feel reasonably confident surmising a net increase in Model 3 deposits only if the September 30 number is above $700 million, and surmising a net decrease only if the number is below $660 million."
So he'd probably conclude they're about the same with some evidence of a small increase.

A more bullish view would be to recognize that a lot of Signature X's were delivered in Q3 in international markets, wiping $40g/car off the deposits balance, so the fact the deposits have still increased by 10 million is pretty good evidence of a decent jump....maybe 400k net reservations.

I'm sure there's more nuance to it than this that's over my head.

Can anyone explain the big increase in accounts payable from $1.673B on June 30th to $2.3B now? That's an increase of over $600m.
I don't actually know anything, but they're building out the new production lines for Model 3, so there's probably a lot of machinery arriving with payment not due until they're tested. Maybe also building parts inventories.

I don't expect the SP to go too high. Just like longs here had dry powder to buy more on the dip, shorts are ready to pounce on any SP jump. Plenty of shares available to short at very low interest rates.
There are a few million shares available to short, but there are about 13 million shares actually shorted (from memory). So for every new short wanting to jump in, there are about 7 old shorts starting to panic. I'm not worried about that.

Reactions: Ulmo
jesselivenmore said:
That's not how it works, unless you assume shorts are complete morons.

Actually, a lot of them are.

Yeah, these kind of silly comments may make you feel happy and smart. But the truth is, many shorts have made good money shorting the pops in TSLA. If this result is not repeatable, shorts aren't going to be swayed much.

• Disagree
Reactions: dc_h and tander
Can anyone explain the big increase in accounts payable from $1.673B on June 30th to $2.3B now? That's an increase of over $600m.

I don't expect the SP to go too high. Just like longs here had dry powder to buy more on the dip, shorts are ready to pounce on any SP jump. Plenty of shares available to short at very low interest rates.
Most likely equipment they will be installing in Fremont and Reno. Will turn into CapEx in Q4.

Reactions: Ulmo
I don't actually know anything, but they're building out the new production lines for Model 3, so there's probably a lot of machinery arriving with payment not due until they're tested. Maybe also building parts inventories.

There are a few million shares available to short, but there are about 13 million shares actually shorted (from memory). So for every new short wanting to jump in, there are about 7 old shorts starting to panic. I'm not worried about that.

Short shares outstandind as reported AH yesterday for the period ending Oct 15 was 28 million

I am Long TSLA and I think the results are great to show where the company could be without a huge growth trajectory. Having said that, the 600MM increase to AP is probably mostly to do with the CapEx, which they estimated at ~$1B for Q4. This may be a small profit but next quarter is a massive loss. Sell roughly the same cars, remove another 750MM in capex and 130M in ZEV and you get a loss of 850MM at least, which I understand am ok with.

In my opinion, the biggest positive item is the SG&A expenses barely moving compared to sales volume. As long as the 600MM in AP is not related to SG&A expenses this is a huge sign of Tesla turning the corner on efficiency.

I am Long TSLA and I think the results are great to show where the company could be without a huge growth trajectory. Having said that, the 600MM increase to AP is probably mostly to do with the CapEx, which they estimated at ~$1B for Q4. This may be a small profit but next quarter is a massive loss. Sell roughly the same cars, remove another 750MM in capex and 130M in ZEV and you get a loss of 850MM at least, which I understand am ok with.

In my opinion, the biggest positive item is the SG&A expenses barely moving compared to sales volume. As long as the 600MM in AP is not related to SG&A expenses this is a huge sign of Tesla turning the corner on efficiency.

CapEx isn't loss. It's negative free cashflow, that's true, but capex shows up in the balance sheet as assets so not a loss :)

Status
Not open for further replies.