Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla has inadvertently explained that the reason the merger is a bailout by placing all the emphasis on the new solar roof. If Solarcity had a truly profitable ongoing business the simplest justification for the merger would be to simply grow Solarcity. The new, obviously unfinished, solar roof would be an adjunct to the justification for the merger. Instead the new solar is front and center.

I voted yes for both companies. Not because I believe Musk's reasoning, but because the merger has to be done.
Back when I was trying to invent ways to bring solar to market before it was even 10% efficient, I used to run these numbers of leased type arrangements (I think I called them something else; I'm not quite the financial expert these guys have become). I would try to predict future cell efficiencies, R&D investments, etc.. One of the things that stuck out to me was that in the solar leasing business, there was a certain market size of those who are willing to and can lease solar panels for their home and are not willing to or not able to buy outright or finance a loan for themselves. This is a group of people willing to provide space for a project on their roof that will benefit them and a financing company (Solar City). After a while, far before all roofs have been converted to solar, the low hanging fruit for this market segment will slowly become saturated; new entrants to the market will come and go (people grow up, buy homes, become aware of solar, new jurisdictions open up, efficiencies of cells increases, etc.). Just because Solar City has been successful thus far doesn't mean they should just 10x size it and expect everything to be the same. Your so called "simplest justification" is absurd, considering that.

Also, why would a company want to 10x size a static product in a competitive marketplace when better alternatives exist, even if the saturation point in the customer base wasn't yet reached?

Your statement doesn't meet the bar of logic on a number of fronts.

? Look like electrical plugs to me

Racking would be behind, right? It doesn't look like the electrical connection pierces the tile (which is probably a bad idea anyway). So the tiles don't appear to plug in like a light bulb, which is both a mechanical and electrical connection.

This is only interesting because Musk mentioning racking is the first hint at implementation of this new system.

As others have mentions, that they haven't seriously considered what happens if the deal doesn't go through at this point is proof that they are convinced beyond reasonable doubt that Elon has the institutional backing necessary and the deal will go through. If they weren't sure at this point they would be adapting to a failed merger contingency.

They came into this saying it is a "no brainer" so I don't doubt for a second that they think it will not pass.
Last stop is what happens with the SCTY earnings, but I don't see that derailing the deal at this point.

Affirming what you said just one month ago is hardly throwing a pie in anyones face, it is throwing a nothing burger.

Now, if he said, "I was wrong, we are going to deliver 28k cars, Model 3 reservations have topped 600k and we already have 1000 orders for Powerwall 2", that would be serious pie.

So then what would the problem be with "we are going to deliver 25k cars, Model 3 reservations have topped 400k and we already have significant orders for Powerwall 2.0"?

Basically if investors are not going to give you credit for the second statement there isn't much reason why I would believe they would give you credit for the first

Affirming what you said just one month ago is hardly throwing a pie in anyones face, it is throwing a nothing burger.

Now, if he said, "I was wrong, we are going to deliver 28k cars, Model 3 reservations have topped 600k and we already have 1000 orders for Powerwall 2", that would be serious pie.
There is no more pie to throw. Nothing Elon can say matters.

If you can't see that Tesla is on track to become the largest company in the world, full stop, inside the next 10 to 15 years, then you're not paying attention, or you're in denial.

No other auto company is making the investments they need to be making today to be able to compete with Tesla 4-5 years from now.

Tesla is racing, pedal to the metal, towards a 100% EV sustainable future. In order to do that, you're going to need a lot of batteries, and Tesla is the only one building battery plants of any significant size. Even the BoltEV, frequently heralded as Detroit's answer to Tesla, only has enough battery deals to produce 50,000 of them in a year. That's a full order of magnitude behind where Tesla will be in 2018, with just Model S, X and 3. Then, before 2020 likely, and certainly before 2025, we will see minibus, semi, Y, Roadster 2.0, and probably pickup too. Tesla does not simply compete in a market - it tears the competition apart. Tesla Model S Number One Selling Large Luxury Sedan In US By Far

TE starts taking off in January. We've already seen big utility-scale deals, and those are just the beginning. Residential sales will be huge. The use cases and economic argument for PowerWall and PowerPack can come from so many different angles its almost not funny.

All of that to say nothing of bringing the existing SCTY into the fold, and adding Solar Roofing Tiles.

There is no more pie to throw. Nothing Elon can say matters.

If you can't see that Tesla is on track to become the largest company in the world, full stop, inside the next 10 to 15 years, then you're not paying attention, or you're in denial.

No other auto company is making the investments they need to be making today to be able to compete with Tesla 4-5 years from now.

Tesla is racing, pedal to the metal, towards a 100% EV sustainable future. In order to do that, you're going to need a lot of batteries, and Tesla is the only one building battery plants of any significant size. Even the BoltEV, frequently heralded as Detroit's answer to Tesla, only has enough battery deals to produce 50,000 of them in a year. That's a full order of magnitude behind where Tesla will be in 2018, with just Model S, X and 3. Then, before 2020 likely, and certainly before 2025, we will see minibus, semi, Y, Roadster 2.0, and probably pickup too. Tesla does not simply compete in a market - it tears the competition apart. Tesla Model S Number One Selling Large Luxury Sedan In US By Far

TE starts taking off in January. We've already seen big utility-scale deals, and those are just the beginning. Residential sales will be huge. The use cases and economic argument for PowerWall and PowerPack can come from so many different angles its almost not funny.

All of that to say nothing of bringing the existing SCTY into the fold, and adding Solar Roofing Tiles.

Tell me something we don't already know. This is a short term price thread. We already know all about the long term. Our discussion should be, at what price should we add/get in, to maximize profit. I don't think the downtrend is done yet.

Elon is so convinced that SCTY merger deal will pass, that's very good news for the investors waiting on the sidelines. It would be interesting to see how TSLA continue the downwards trend before the final vote date 11/17, which is still 13 trading days ahead. In between the SCTY ER and US president election could introduce enough volatility to bring the SP into attractive level. Keep your dry powder and be prepared. I still see TSLA has good chance to climb back to 250 with M3 ramp up in 2017.

• Love
Reactions: TrendTrader007
Racking would be behind, right? It doesn't look like the electrical connection pierces the tile (which is probably a bad idea anyway). So the tiles don't appear to plug in like a light bulb, which is both a mechanical and electrical connection.

This is only interesting because Musk mentioning racking is the first hint at implementation of this new system.
Nature abhors a connection. It really abhors a thousand connections. A thousand connections on a roof? That makes nature laugh.
They sure do look good, though.
Robin

disappointed by the the letter. Besides the outlook of Q4 and beyond, which remains to be seen, does this letter provide anything we don't know? Unfortunately, NO.

I see TSLA goes to 180 in the next several days.

Unfortunately, this seems like a self-inflicted wound.
Seems people here had a lot higher expectations for the Friday reveal (like actual numbers, a working system, etc) and especially for today's announcement. Now, I don't know if that is just the optimists here or did analysts actually expect new info?

My bet is that they would have been better off doing nothing especially since they seem to have the votes for the merger anyway and they don't need to raise money (so at this point the stock price isn't relevant to raising money, dilution,etc).

I don't know if it is a reaction to the Goldman downgrade, or the lack or "pop" after the ER, but this seems really odd.

Also, note that Elon said the tiles will have 98% of the original efficiency. So, 98% * 22% = 21.56%, not 22% - 2% = 20%

No, he said it would be 2% less efficient than solar panels.

He did not specify whether that is the average solar panel or the high-end solar panel, just another detail left out of the presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.