Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why the Oil Majors Face Inevitable Decline | OilPrice.com

This is very interesting. The industry is contemplating its eventual decline. The decoupling could be soon.

“Rather than investing in potentially stranded oil and gas projects, or gambling on new technologies that they do not fully understand, the oil companies would do better to continue returning money to shareholders through dividends and share buybacks,” the FT wroteon May 27. “Instead of railing against climate policies, or paying them lip-service while quietly defying them with investment decisions, the oil companies will serve their investors and society better if they accept the limits they face, and embrace a future of long-term decline.”

The Offshore Oil Business Is Crippled And It May Never Recover | OilPrice.com

Also this article looks specifically at offshore drilling. Some 22 mb/d of production could be allowed to decline about 15% per year. Such a reduction would be far faster than EVs could displace in the near term. So it should tighten supply against declining demand. Such a move could restore profitability to what's left of the industry. But to make this play, big oil executives pretty much have to resign themselves to the view that oil demand is or soon will be in terminal decline.

So have oil industry leaders truly moved into post-oil consciousnesses?

Last edited:
Why the Oil Majors Face Inevitable Decline | OilPrice.com

This is very interesting. The industry is contemplating its eventual decline.
On the contrary... what I see in these articles is that FT, Chatham House, and the *investment community* in general are contemplating the decline. I don't think the "oilmen" are thinking about it yet. Important distinction.

Though it does mean oil companies will find it impossible to get financing.

I guess ConocoPhillips has permanently abandoned deepwater, so that's something. But the others seem like they still hold out hope that it'll come back some day.

It is looking like the oil supply contraction will be very sharp and sudden due to very fast decline rates. Faster than electric cars can displace oil usage. So we should see a spike in oil prices for a year or two at least. I'm not sure the spike will lead to further exploration, because the investment community seems to see oil as a dead end (finally).

• Helpful
Reactions: jhm and Lessmog
jhm: " [CA in May] has imported about 32% percent of energy it consumes, about 8 GW of imports from other states.

California partners projects in neighboring states so this figure is going to be confusing. The huge Solar farms around Primm, NV to mention one.
--

On the contrary... what I see in these articles is that FT, Chatham House, and the *investment community* in general are contemplating the decline. I don't think the "oilmen" are thinking about it yet. Important distinction.

Though it does mean oil companies will find it impossible to get financing.

I guess ConocoPhillips has permanently abandoned deepwater, so that's something. But the others seem like they still hold out hope that it'll come back some day.

It is looking like the oil supply contraction will be very sharp and sudden due to very fast decline rates. Faster than electric cars can displace oil usage. So we should see a spike in oil prices for a year or two at least. I'm not sure the spike will lead to further exploration, because the investment community seems to see oil as a dead end (finally).

Yes, that is a very good distinction. I was lumping investors in with managers, but those are very different roles. Investors can and will vote with their feet. As capital dries up, managers will have to change their pitch or find a new job. I suspect that those at the top of their game know that decline is coming, but it does not yet advance their careers to give public voice to that.

jhm: " [CA in May] has imported about 32% percent of energy it consumes, about 8 GW of imports from other states.

California partners projects in neighboring states so this figure is going to be confusing. The huge Solar farms around Primm, NV to mention one.
--
I'm simply using the categorization the the CAISO uses. It's not clear to me if an out of state solar PPA would get classified as "solar" or "import," but given that the state is trying to hit renewable targets, they would have an incentive to count imported renewables as renewables. Anybody know?

LNG Glut Seen By FGE Pushing Prices To $3 As Soon As Next Year | Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide

So this LNG glut does not look good for gas or oil producers. Low LNG prices are allowing natural gas to enter developing countries that still use petroleum products for power, heat, and even light. In such markets, LNG can directly displace demand for oil.

Historically (1985-2005) the price ratio of a barrel of crude to 5.8 MMBTU of natural gas is about 1.5 +/- 0.5. It spiked to over 10 in 2012 and has been gradually declining since. It currently stands at about 3.75, but looks to center around 3. So at $2.3/mmbtu, the near term equilibrium price for oil should be about $40/b, and the longterm equilibrium price around $20/b.

So the basic point here is that crude sells at quite a high premium to natural gas, and this creates opportunities for fuel switching until some longterm equilibrium is discovered. So if the international price of LNG drops from about $4.5/mmbtu now to $3 next year, and if these low prices enable the fuel to enter new markets that are too reliant on oil for heat and power, then this is very bad for the price of oil. Demand for oil will soften in all these new LNG markets. This could even move to global oil to LNG price ratio of 2 to 3. That is, the equilibrium price for oil could be in range of $35 to $52 per barrel. Keep in mind that it takes about 10.4 mmbtu of oil or 8 mmbtu of natural gas to make 1 MWh of electricity. So at $3/mmbtu of LNG, the fuel cost is $24/MWh. Crude would have to be priced below $14/b to compete in the electricity market. So whatever the oil to gas equilibrium might be, it likely prices oil out of power generation. So this is about 4.5 mb/d of oil consumption placed at risk from cheap LNG, but heating and lighting are even bigger markets in some areas. Moreover, LNG has huge potential in heavy vehicle and maritime transport fuel markets. However these markets sort all this out, it remains that cheap LNG puts price pressure on oil and softens demand.

LNG is simply a release valve for oversupplied gas markets. But as gas seeks out export markets it increasingly competes with oil, which erodes the price premium oil currently enjoys. Does this mean that gas prices will rise to equilibrium with oil, or must oil fall to meet gas? Natural gas is in price competition with wind and solar and are coming down in price even as they scale up in volume. So this puts an effective price cap on gas. An increase in gas prices only comes at an accelerated loss of power market share to renewables. Thus, the return to high gas prices only happens after gas is priced out of the baseload power market. So this is a really persistent problem of oversupply for the gas markets. To resolve this glut, they really have to exit the power markets. And likewise oil and coal have to exit the power markets as well. So as long as renewables take to dominate the power markets, there will be a kind of persistent oversupply of gas, and cheap LNG will price compete with oil.

I know I've posted these arguments many times, but the new information here is that LNG is in a glut with prices declining to $3/mmbtu. It takes a while for the enormity of this to sink in. The only hope for oil is that gas will displace more coal than oil.

Is there another way out for oil producers that I may be overlooking?

• Informative
Reactions: kenliles
What’s Really Behind This Oil Price Rally | OilPrice.com

Well, this pretty much explains why the price of oil has little to do with fundamentals and who's paying for contango.

The irony here is that investors buy ETFs like USO as a hedge against inflation and in the process drive up the price of oil and actually cause inflation for everyone. Another irony is that this financialized demand for oil encourages oversupply.

• Informative
Reactions: dakh and kenliles
There’s a Reason for the Froth in Oil Markets: Exchange-Traded Products

Also see the first comment in this article. The commenter offers three points:

1. Oil ETF investors likely helped keep the oil price high around $80/b which motivated producers to keep drilling.
  2. Oil ETF investment buy near term futures which induce a contango that funds the storage of surplus oil.
  3. Oil ETF investors may lose interest in this sort of investment and the price of oil can crash in its wake.
I think the key response from oil producers should be to sell sufficient futures against their future production that they do not suffer financial loss when oil ETF investor sentiment turns sour. Essentially this will harness the willingness of these investors to bank roll production at certain times and lock in that financing longterm. Oil producers should not allow themselves to get played by these investors, rather they should exploit them. Selling more futures will depress the futures price curve and send a clearer signal to all participants when the future supply is over built. That is, when future production is headed into a glut, you want the futures curve to reflect just how low those prices will be in an oversupplied market.

• Informative
Reactions: dakh
What are thoughts on gray swan events supporting oil prices, keeping frackers in the swing zone. By gray swan I mean Venezuela or Nigeria or Libya going bankrupt or government failure taking their oil offline for a protracted period. Under $60 many governments can't survive, but over 50 frackers can sell futures and lock in long term funding with futures.

image.jpeg
And another oil based disaster. Oil train derailment in the beautiful Columbia River gorge. An area I live in from time to time and I travel this georgous drive from time to time

What a mess

Is there another way out for oil producers that I may be overlooking?

Certainly not in the long run. I've been trying to figure out the short-term moves, which are pretty complicated.

Basically, every major market for oil other than transportation has been dying since the 1970s. Yes, there's plastics and chemicals, but it's miniscule. Oil for heating, electricity, and so forth has been in a slow decline for a very long time.

Transportation has been remarkably resistant to substitution. As a result, the demand for oil is essentially the transportation-fuel demand. We know this is dropping due to plug-in cars. However, there's a question of whether the demand drop is *faster* or *slower* than the drop in oil production due to natural depletion of oil fields. If the depletion moves faster than the demand drop, then the oil price will *temporarily* go up. Eventually, the electric car production rate will be so high that the demand drop will be higher than the depletion rate, at which point the oil price will crash for the last time.

(Well, I say the last time, but actually then you have to look at the residual uses of oil for chemicals and plastics and so on, and compare it with the decline rate on the last few surviving "cheap to produce" oil fields. By then I think few people will care because oil will be an irrelevance. Well, I guess until airplanes are converted oil will still be relevant.)

I currently believe that we're in for one more cycle of oil prices rising due to depletion exceeding drops in demand, but I could be wrong. We could already have gone through the last cycle. Or there could be two or more cycles, but I think that is unlikely.

Obviously, any significant rise in oil prices will accelerate the adoption of electric cars, which is why I doubt there will be two cycles. (There could be a second cycle of oil price rises after all land transportation is converted and before airplanes are converted.)

----

The natural gas situation is fascinating and you've pointed out some dynamics I hadn't fully analyzed. If natgas prices rise above a certain level, then natgas gets replaced with wind and solar for electricity generation. I think we can figure out what that price actually *is*. Based on Lazard's LCOE 9.0, I can figure out the *variable cost* of running a combined-cycle natgas plant (using the low-end estimate) at different natgas prices. At $4.50, the variable costs are 3.4 cents / kwh, which is more expensive than new wind. At $5.50, the variable costs are 4.1 cents / kwh, and I think we can presume that utility solar will be in that price range in a year or two, since it's averaging 5 cents / kwh already. At $6.75 natgas, the variable costs are 4.9 cents / kwh and that's it. Those are based on low-end natgas plant prices, so they're optimistic for natgas.

This means that $6.75 really acts as a permanent cap on the price of natgas, at least until it stops being used for rioutine electricity generation; but the cap may be as low as $4.50. (And dropping.)

Even $6.75 is well below the price which is needed to make fracking for gas break even. Which isn't surprising; fracking for gas is not profitable and has always been a scam. Profitable fracking companies have been looking for oil, period.

Natgas production is mostly a side effect of oil production. That's why we have so much extra natgas and why the oil price / natgas price ratio is getting so high: it's due to oil demand. They're drilling wells which produce a lot of gas and a little oil, but they're only profitable because of the oil.

Now, the depletion of the fracked wells happens *really* fast; they run out completely in about 5 years. So we're going to see a massive drop in the natgas supply. I don't know whether this will happen faster or slower than the solar and wind deployment.

If it happens faster, we'll see a temporary rise in natgas prices which will cause wind and solar to be deployed as fast as they can practically be deployed, but may also cause a temporary resurgence in investment in oil and gas.

If it happens slower, wind and solar will be deployed more slowly, but the oil & gas companies will not invest at all in gas.

Last edited:
Certainly not in the long run. I've been trying to figure out the short-term moves, which are pretty complicated.

Basically, every major market for oil other than transportation has been dying since the 1970s. Yes, there's plastics and chemicals, but it's miniscule. Oil for heating, electricity, and so forth has been in a slow decline for a very long time.

Transportation has been remarkably resistant to substitution. As a result, the demand for oil is essentially the transportation-fuel demand. We know this is dropping due to plug-in cars. However, there's a question of whether the demand drop is *faster* or *slower* than the drop in oil production due to natural depletion of oil fields. If the depletion moves faster than the demand drop, then the oil price will *temporarily* go up. Eventually, the electric car production rate will be so high that the demand drop will be higher than the depletion rate, at which point the oil price will crash for the last time.

(Well, I say the last time, but actually then you have to look at the residual uses of oil for chemicals and plastics and so on, and compare it with the decline rate on the last few surviving "cheap to produce" oil fields. By then I think few people will care because oil will be an irrelevance. Well, I guess until airplanes are converted oil will still be relevant.)

I currently believe that we're in for one more cycle of oil prices rising due to depletion exceeding drops in demand, but I could be wrong. We could already have gone through the last cycle. Or there could be two or more cycles, but I think that is unlikely.

Obviously, any significant rise in oil prices will accelerate the adoption of electric cars, which is why I doubt there will be two cycles. (There could be a second cycle of oil price rises after all land transportation is converted and before airplanes are converted.)

----

The natural gas situation is fascinating and you've pointed out some dynamics I hadn't fully analyzed. If natgas prices rise above a certain level, then natgas gets replaced with wind and solar for electricity generation. I think we can figure out what that price actually *is*. Based on Lazard's LCOE 9.0, I can figure out the *variable cost* of running a combined-cycle natgas plant (using the low-end estimate) at different natgas prices. At $4.50, the variable costs are 3.4 cents / kwh, which is more expensive than new wind. At $5.50, the variable costs are 4.1 cents / kwh, and I think we can presume that utility solar will be in that price range in a year or two, since it's averaging 5 cents / kwh already. At $6.75 natgas, the variable costs are 4.9 cents / kwh and that's it. Those are based on low-end natgas plant prices, so they're optimistic for natgas.

This means that $6.75 really acts as a permanent cap on the price of natgas, at least until it stops being used for rioutine electricity generation; but the cap may be as low as $4.50. (And dropping.)

Even $6.75 is well below the price which is needed to make fracking for gas break even. Which isn't surprising; fracking for gas is not profitable and has always been a scam. Profitable fracking companies have been looking for oil, period.

Natgas production is mostly a side effect of oil production. That's why we have so much extra natgas and why the oil price / natgas price ratio is getting so high: it's due to oil demand. They're drilling wells which produce a lot of gas and a little oil, but they're only profitable because of the oil.

Now, the depletion of the fracked wells happens *really* fast; they run out completely in about 5 years. So we're going to see a massive drop in the natgas supply. I don't know whether this will happen faster or slower than the solar and wind deployment.

If it happens faster, we'll see a temporary rise in natgas prices which will cause wind and solar to be deployed as fast as they can practically be deployed, but may also cause a temporary resurgence in investment in oil and gas.

If it happens slower, wind and solar will be deployed more slowly, but the oil & gas companies will not invest at all in gas.

Hey Neroden, we seem to be on the same page here. I think you're onto something about natural gas just being a cheap byproduct of drilling for oil, and this makes the supply of gas highly dependent on the price of oil.

Lazard seems to be assuming that CCNG plant consume 7.5 mmBtu/MWh. EIA says the heat rate is more like 8.0 mmBtu/MWh. This is what I get to show that with gas at $4.5/mmBtu the fuel cost is $36/MWh. (Lazard also tends to use optimistic capacity factors for fossil generators, which also biases them in favor of them.) In any case, wind and solar also avoids some the capacity capex costs of gas generation. So I think that the cap on gas implied by wind and solar is even lower than just the fuel cost displacement. Suppose some combination of wind and solar obtains $35/MWh, but that the capacity offset is, say $15/MWh (I'm making this up). Then the net fuel cost offset is say $20/MWh. Then we divide by 8 mmBtu/MWh to get $2.50/mmBtu as our price cap on gas. If you assume a higher capacity offset (I think the SolarCity analysis used something like 2.6 c/kWh for their Nevada report), then you get to an even lower cap. There are all sorts of microeconomics that make this imprecise and quite variable from one market to another. So my basic view is that wind and solar are already low enough to exert price pressure on both gas and coal and will continue to gain market share going forward.

Getting back to oil, so if nat gas is basically just a consolation prize for drilling for oil, what does price competition from wind and solar imply for oil. Suppose your oil field produced about 2 mmBtu of gas per barrel of crude. If gas is at $2.5/mmBtu and crude at $50/b, then gas adds about $5 per barrel of crude, about 10% to gross revenue. So this could be significant to profits. if your exploration, drilling, completing and other operating costs are $40/b, then that extra $5 (need to net out gas related opex perhaps) could really add to the $10 net for crude alone. However these microeconomic may work out, a decline in gas prices takes a bite out of oil well profitability, at least on a pro forma basis. So wind and solar may already be impacting the profitability of oil producers. In time this should reduce the supply of both gas and oil, unless oil fetches a sufficiently high price. A weird potential outcome here is that EV displacement of transport fuels could dry up natural gas supplies and speed up deployment of wind and solar. I have not given much thought to that pathway before. Anyway, just thinking out loud on how this stuff connects.

For reference, WTI trades at 50.17 USD/bbl today.
View attachment 179823
Hey, thanks for rubbing it in. :)

What I did not understand at the time was the degree of financialization in oil. The marginal buyer today is still an investor storing surplus oil. As long as oil ETF speculators are driving up contango the oil will remain in storage. Should sentiment fall (as it is likely to due past the high demand season), then that stored oil will depress prices again. I did not appreciate how willing these oil speculator are to support the price of oil. We'll see.

It's a good thing I'm not really a short trader.

Reactions: replicant
As long as oil ETF speculators are driving up contango the oil will remain in storage. Should sentiment fall (as it is likely to due past the high demand season), then that stored oil will depress prices again.
Then again, it may just stay permanently stored like all that under Sudia Arabia.
The eventual contango may not differentiate stranded assets, in-ground, in equipment, or in tank. Essentially becoming a total financial game of controlled assets- aka diamonds