Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's just stick to the unvarnished facts. That's always a great basis for investment.

Occidental Petroleum(OXY) is one of the most leveraged and likely to fail oil & gas plays.
OXY is up ~7% today nearing $32 and a $29B market cap.
In 2018 it somehow touched $85 and pre-covid it was $42.

ExxonMobil has emerged as the more likely to fail oil major, I guess due to leverage and high costs basis.
XOM touched $62.50 today, a market cap of ~$270B.
This is right around it's pre-covid level and near it's $75-95 range of recent years.

Chevron is now magically the "smart" oil & gas play. (Is there a smart oil & gas play?)
CVX is sitting around $112 today, a touch above pre-covid.
CVX looks prepared to add even the most leveraged assets via their "good" balance sheet.

If all that is true then we buy:
OXY long puts starting now and ramping til they implode. Jan 2023 now and move out as they become available.
XOM long puts starting 4th of July and ramping til they implode. Jun 2023 and move out as they become available.
CVX long puts starting Labor Day and ramping til they implode. Sep 2023 and move out as they become available.

I'm sticking to my plan of buying 1 put contract for CVX in 4Q20 at the longest expiration and whatever strike I can get at $4.20 per share. Then this quarter I buy 2 with the same strategy, then next quarter 3. Trying to time it out within each quarter to get the best deal @ $4.20 or just wait til the last day.

Will probably do the same with OXY starting April 1 and XOM in 3Q21. Should work out fine if I can afford it for 2 years for the outset of each.

I generally jump the gun on these things, so it's likely best to bump this post in 16 months and start from then. In the mean time, I will start throwing my money in a hole.
Cyclicals! Everybody knows oil is cyclical...

Until it isn't.

Reactions: navguy12 and mspohr
Global oil demand 'could exceed pre-Covid levels without clean energy moves'

The world’s oil demand could exceed pre-Covid 19 levels within the next two years unless concrete government action and legislation leads to a much stronger move towards clean energy, according to the International Energy Agency. Figures from the global energy watchdog threaten to dash hopes that the world’s consumption of oil may have peaked in 2019, before the coronavirus pandemic caused oil demand to plummet by 9m barrels a day.The world’s oil demand could exceed pre-Covid 19 levels within the next two years unless concrete government action and legislation leads to a much stronger move towards clean energy, according to the International Energy Agency. Figures from the global energy watchdog threaten to dash hopes that the world’s consumption of oil may have peaked in 2019, before the coronavirus pandemic caused oil demand to plummet by 9m barrels a day.
The IEA agreed that overall oil demand in advanced economies – which is much higher per capita than developing countries – is unlikely to return to pre-Covid levels, in part because of the growing uptake of electric vehicles and other green transport options. However, about 90% of the world’s growing oil demand in the next five years will be driven by countries in Asia, albeit at a slower pace than before the pandemic, and will be underpinned by rising populations and incomes.

Reactions: jhm

The world’s oil demand could exceed pre-Covid 19 levels within the next two years unless concrete government action and legislation leads to a much stronger move towards clean energy, according to the International Energy Agency. Figures from the global energy watchdog threaten to dash hopes that the world’s consumption of oil may have peaked in 2019, before the coronavirus pandemic caused oil demand to plummet by 9m barrels a day.The world’s oil demand could exceed pre-Covid 19 levels within the next two years unless concrete government action and legislation leads to a much stronger move towards clean energy, according to the International Energy Agency. Figures from the global energy watchdog threaten to dash hopes that the world’s consumption of oil may have peaked in 2019, before the coronavirus pandemic caused oil demand to plummet by 9m barrels a day.
The IEA agreed that overall oil demand in advanced economies – which is much higher per capita than developing countries – is unlikely to return to pre-Covid levels, in part because of the growing uptake of electric vehicles and other green transport options. However, about 90% of the world’s growing oil demand in the next five years will be driven by countries in Asia, albeit at a slower pace than before the pandemic, and will be underpinned by rising populations and incomes.
Not surprising they're worried, given that they don't believe renewables will increase much.

• Funny
Reactions: jhm

Lol....that's just an IEA supply narrative to boost pricing. Back in reality, last week's crude supply report is out and we're back over 500M barrels of supply(glut). Strange considering WTI pricing has essentially doubled since November and imports are still so low.

chart (28).png

Surely we won't see a monumental glut in global crude supplies when all these $65 WTI contracts get fracked and pumped in 3 months.

Edit: With Europe locking down and OPEC+ making seemingly unkeepable promises....it may be a decent time to short Brent/WTI. Still unclear if there's a good vehicle for such a position. I guess you could just sell barrels of Dec2022 crude.

Edit edit: Again.....how do we STILL not have a TMC shorting oil hedge fund??? Anyone know how that's done?

Last edited:
Lol....that's just an IEA supply narrative to boost pricing. Back in reality, last week's crude supply report is out and we're back over 500M barrels of supply(glut). Strange considering WTI pricing has essentially doubled since November and imports are still so low.

View attachment 645250

Surely we won't see a monumental glut in global crude supplies when all these $65 WTI contracts get fracked and pumped in 3 months.

Edit: With Europe locking down and OPEC+ making seemingly unkeepable promises....it may be a decent time to short Brent/WTI. Still unclear if there's a good vehicle for such a position. I guess you could just sell barrels of Dec2022 crude.

Edit edit: Again.....how do we STILL not have a TMC shorting oil hedge fund??? Anyone know how that's done?

Yeah - if I were in the business of mining oil I would be selling as many of those $65 contracts at any expiration as I could. Hedge every barrel I mine and then some extra for expansion or just plain profit.

I guess we'll know there is a lot of that going on if the longer dated oil contracts go into Backwardation.

I posted this in the Energy&Environment sub, but it could be interesting here too.

An older steel producer and a startup in Sweden are investing in green steel. They plans to replace coal in steel production with H2, the byproduct will be H2O instead of CO2. Also use green energy production, we have almost only hydropower, wind and some nuclear in Sweden. This could be a reasonable use of H2.

Gizmodo: The Fossil Fuel Industry Would Be Screwed Without the U.S. Government Propping It Up. Fossil Fuels Would Be Screwed Without U.S. Government Propping Them Up
Conservatives have long argued against regulating fossil fuel production for the climate’s sake, claiming that doing so would interfere with the holy free market. A new study shows that’s a total fairy tale because the invisible hand isn’t responsible for dirty fuels’ market dominance—implicit government subsidies are. The findings show those subsidies total in the billions each year.

Big banks’ trillion-dollar finance for fossil fuels ‘shocking’, says report
The world’s biggest 60 banks have provided $3.8tn of financing for fossil fuel companies since the Paris climate deal in 2015, according to a report by a coalition of NGOs. Despite the Covid-19 pandemic cutting energy use, overall funding remains on an upward trend and the finance provided in 2020 was higher than in 2016 or 2017, a fact the report’s authors and others described as “shocking”. Oil, gas and coal will need to be burned for some years to come. But it has been known since at least 2015 that a significant proportion of existing reserves must remain in the ground if global heating is to remain below 2C, the main Paris target. Financing for new reserves is therefore the “exact opposite” of what is required to tackle the climate crisis, the report’s authors said.

Reactions: navguy12
On a related note.....US crude stockpiles are creeping up yet again. 502M barrels and counting in the commercial stockpiles last week. Strange given the narrative that supplies are so tight and the fact we're now importing essentially zero crude from Saudi Arabia.

With Europe locking down for Easter, we should see some major reversals in these absurd oil futures markets. If Asia doesn't save the day and soak up half the glut, it could be real bad.

Reuters: Breakingviews - Exxon-Chevron deal could help kill fossil fuels. Breakingviews - Exxon-Chevron deal could help kill fossil fuels

NEW YORK (Reuters Breakingviews) - A mega-merger between Exxon Mobil and Chevron doesn’t have to be about creating a crushing oil company. In fact, it’s possible that a deal between the fossil fuel giants actually hastens the transition to cleaner power sources. Regulators have some levers to pull to make it happen.

To help fund President Joe Biden's forthcoming $3 trillion infrastructure proposal, the White House is reportedly considering ending federal subsidies for fossil fuel companies and increasing taxes on wealthy individuals and corporations

Green investing 'is definitely not going to work’, says ex-BlackRock executive
“I have looked inside the machine and I can tell you business does not have this,” Tariq told the Guardian. “Not because these are bad people but because they run for-profit machines that will operate exactly as you would expect them to do,” said Fancy.
Investors have a fiduciary duty to maximise returns to their clients and as long as there is money to be made in activities that contribute to global warming, no amount of rhetoric about the need for sustainable investing will change that, he believes.
“I don’t think the public realizes we are not talking about stopping climate change,” he said. “We are literally talking about selling assets so we don’t get caught up in the damage when it hits.”
But for Fancy the overarching point is that real change has to be led by government, not Wall Street.

In places, BlackRock’s findings are redacted, so as not to show the size of particular holdings, but the conclusions are clear: after examining “divestment actions by hundreds of funds worldwide,” the BlackRock analysts concluded that the portfolios “experienced no negative financial impacts from divesting from fossil fuels. In fact, they found evidence of modest improvement in fund return.” The report’s executive summary states that “no investors found negative performance from divestment; rather, neutral to positive results.” In the conclusion to the report, the BlackRock team used the phrase beloved of investors: divested portfolios “outperformed their benchmarks.”
What would happen if the world’s largest investment firm issued that advice and its clients followed it? Fifteen trillion dollars plus twenty-five trillion is a lot of money. It’s roughly twice the size of the current U.S. economy. It’s almost half the size of the total world economy. It would show that a report issued by a small London think tank a decade ago had turned the financial world’s view of climate upside down.

President Joe Biden’s plan to eliminate subsidies claimed by oil and gas companies and raise levies on corporate polluters would increase government receipts by $35 billion over the coming decade.
“The main impact would be on oil and gas company profits,” the Treasury said in the report. “Research suggests little impact on gasoline or energy prices for U.S. consumers and little impact on our energy security.”

OXY upgraded today for god knows what reason, up 6% to $25.75. This upgrade and the reopening traders should push it back up to it's post-covid highs of $30-32, maybe even closer to it's pre-covid level of $42. Then it's a prime target for longs puts. I'm targeting the 4th of July to start.

OXY is leveraged beyond belief and should be in the earliest batch of mega-failures. 40-something billion in debt.

Lucrative pay and share options have created an incentive for oil company executives to resist climate action, according to a study that casts doubt on recent net-zero commitments by BP and Shell.

Compensation packages for CEOs, often in excess of $10m (£7.2m), are linked to continued extraction of fossil fuels, exploration of new fields and the promotion of strong market demand through advertising, lobbying and government subsidies, the report says.