Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance in EVs is cool to look at right now but seems to run contradictory to the ESG movement... If we actually want to achieve these goals, cars need to be driven reasonably and this emphasis on production vehicle 0-60 and quarter mile times is missing the mark.

And you'd be wrong. Our 2013 Model S gets as good or better efficiency driven hard compared to my exceptionally small Smart Electric drive with it's paultry 80HP and which has the smallest amount of materials for any EV offered for sale in Canada. Engineering "quick and efficient" can be a reasonable solution in the face of "make it slow and efficient".

Repeating Daimlers mistakes, the VW MEB platform is poor in terms of performance compared to Tesla's offerings, AND YET it is less efficient too. Demanding slower less capable cars isn't the way forward.

Indian refining giant Reliance unveils $10-bln green energy plan

India’s Reliance Industries plans $10 billion clean energy investment

"The world is entering a new energy era, which is going to be highly disruptive. The age of fossil fuels, which powered economic growth globally for nearly three centuries, cannot continue much longer," Chairman Mukesh Ambani, Asia's richest man, said at a shareholder meeting on Thursday.

“We will transform our legacy business into sustainable, circular and net-zero carbon materials business. One that will provide growing returns over several decades,” Ambani said in his speech. “And we will do this by re-purposing our existing assets to extend their economic life and earning capacity.”

This is why refiners and crude extractors make pledges.

Unclear to me exactly how handing half a billion cheap refinancing to an oil services pipeline company helps the environment.

Climate crimes: a new series investigating big oil’s role in the climate crisis

The lawsuits marshal a sweeping array of well-established facts that detail how for decades, major petroleum corporations knew that burning fossil fuels wreaked havoc on the environment. Industry elites heard dire warnings from their own scientists who predicted the urgency of the climate crisis nearly 60 years ago. But instead of taking swift action, the oil conglomerates staged a coordinated disinformation campaign to suppress political action and public awareness around the growing scientific consensus pointing to a climate emergency.

And you'd be wrong. Our 2013 Model S gets as good or better efficiency driven hard compared to my exceptionally small Smart Electric drive with it's paultry 80HP and which has the smallest amount of materials for any EV offered for sale in Canada. Engineering "quick and efficient" can be a reasonable solution in the face of "make it slow and efficient".

Repeating Daimlers mistakes, the VW MEB platform is poor in terms of performance compared to Tesla's offerings, AND YET it is less efficient too. Demanding slower less capable cars isn't the way forward.
I'm not saying they need to build less capable cars, although I'm sure there's a sweet spot in terms of power:effeciency. This also isn't my statement, it's just something I plucked from the only solid path forward we have to Net Zero by 2050. The IEA says that to reach those goals, we need to limit roadway speeds to 100 km/hr by 2030 and have a greater emphasis on eco-driving habits. And the whole purpose is to improve energy efficiency and reduce consumption, because we need to not consume more energy if we want any hope of achieving these milestones on the path to curbing climate change.

There is no way your 2013 Model S is not more efficient when using eco-driving habits (gradual acceleration etc) than when putting the pedal to the metal and expending far more energy to travel the same distance. Does it not seem strange that it's 2021 and we're pushing out a 1,000+ horsepower production EV and its insane performance numbers when, in less than nine years, we should be driving 100 km/hr max and focusing on eco-driving to reduce energy consumption?

I'm not saying they need to build less capable cars, although I'm sure there's a sweet spot in terms of power:effeciency. This also isn't my statement, it's just something I plucked from the only solid path forward we have to Net Zero by 2050. The IEA says that to reach those goals, we need to limit roadway speeds to 100 km/hr by 2030 and have a greater emphasis on eco-driving habits. And the whole purpose is to improve energy efficiency and reduce consumption, because we need to not consume more energy if we want any hope of achieving these milestones on the path to curbing climate change.

There is no way your 2013 Model S is not more efficient when using eco-driving habits (gradual acceleration etc) than when putting the pedal to the metal and expending far more energy to travel the same distance. Does it not seem strange that it's 2021 and we're pushing out a 1,000+ horsepower production EV and its insane performance numbers when, in less than nine years, we should be driving 100 km/hr max and focusing on eco-driving to reduce energy consumption?

Tesla isn't supporting the ESG movement, which is mostly talk and window dressing, it's speeding the transition to sustainable energy and transport. That's the mission. Tesla's tactic has been to make EV the clear better option in performance and it's working.

The entire marketplace has been pushed to EV technology and full transition is now inevitable. The legacy automakers and new entrants will very quickly fill the gaps with every variety of lean efficient transport over the next 10 years as we phase out internal combustion. Let them do their job, Elon can't do everything.

Tesla isn't supporting the ESG movement, which is mostly talk and window dressing, it's speeding the transition to sustainable energy and transport. That's the mission. Tesla's tactic has been to make EV the clear better option in performance and it's working.

The entire marketplace has been pushed to EV technology and full transition is now inevitable. The legacy automakers and new entrants will very quickly fill the gaps with every variety of lean efficient transport over the next 10 years as we phase out internal combustion. Let them do their job, Elon can't do everything.
Pretty sure we could find direct quotes from Tesla stating the opposite, I'm reminded of recent comments about permit delays at Giga Berlin affecting our ability to fight climate change.

But it sounds like we're mostly on the same page here, although it's not specific to Tesla because other EV brands are doing the same thing. The ESG movement is underlying the entire transition to EVs, and multiple manufacturers looking to capitalize on that movement are planning/producing/selling vehicles that are not aligned with milestones needed to achieve goals in the movement they're looking to capitalize on. I don't see that ending well for anyone.

The Saudi-Emirati rift within OPEC is a sign of things to come

1625709102336.png

If driving were going to be fossil fuel based as its energy source, then a focus on efficiency and apparently an attempt at a mandate to tell people what they can and can't do, and make then want to do it, makes some sense to me. Not a great deal as any solution that depends on making people do things they don't want to looks like a sound path to defeat and failure.

But we aren't going to be using fossil fuel as the basis of energy for transportation - at least not the transportation that happens on roads. We'll be using electricity and the cost curve already tells us that electricity will be generated by solar, wind, and stored / stabilized with batteries (or some battery like technologies such as pumped hydro). The only question here is whether it will happen fast enough (both the transportation change, and the energy generation change). If you want to impede the progress to EVs then one of the best ways to succeed is to mandate and harshly enforce a performance cap. (Or keep an eye on what the lobbyists are doing to slow things down - significantly more expensive registration fees for EVs are spreading throughout the US for example).

Because whether we individually like it or not, humans as a group like faster over slower. And faster sells. And the more EV sales the better off we all are. In answer to your question - no - it doesn't seem at all strange that we're "pushing out a 1,000+ horsepower production EV". I consider it essential, just as I consider the new Roadster to be equally essential. They're halo cars that shows the art of the possible and lead the way for everything else. And they do it at better efficiency than just about anything else on the road (which, yes, can be made better through eco driving habits).

My own ridiculously huge Model X is, on the surface, a gargantuan waste of energy. We use it effectively as a 2 person station wagon and there is usually just me in it. It replaced a 27 year old Honda CRX that never did worse than about 33 mpg in all the time we owned and drove it as our primary vehicle, already putting me well above the median in transportation efficiency for 3+ decades (my driving life). And based on the mpg ratings, the Model X starts off ~3x as efficient as the CRX. It's more efficient than virtually anything else I encounter on the road, even many motorcycles, at 89 mpge.

Do I NEED it? No - I want it and it provides me with a lot of utility that I want, but that I could probably live without if I had to. And I BADLY WANT to contribute to making things better. So I'm happy I've improved my personal transportation efficiency that much, and I like getting friends and family in the car so they can go wow at the smooth and insane acceleration, even in my non-performance version (high 4s 0-60). The tradeoff works for me and if there were anybody that you could convince to lower their energy footprint as you describe, I would have to be in that camp. I want the end results, and yet my personal transportation isn't in that ballpark (or in danger of going there).

How many of us in this forum already live that low energy footprint life you describe? Surely just everybody here is in favor of the outcome - this looks like a great place to start recruiting your first 50 recruits.

On the electricity generation front, the best way I've seen for how to think about renewable energy generation -- the target isn't to replace current energy consumption. The target is to generate dramatically more electricity than we do today. One reason for dramatically over gearing the generation side is that there are days that are less than perfect for renewables (shocking I know :D). Most of those can be bridged over if the renewables are producing 2x, 3x, or more of what is typically needed. In Australia there is at least one state / group / country talking about 700% renewables.

The key to making 7x renewables work though will be new and renewed businesses that can consume huge quantities of energy AND have the ability to coast or store locally what they need to keep running for some amount of time. The consumption needs to be highly variable / dispatchable. In Australia one of the business cases that is being floated is renewable hydrogen generation for export. I believe it gets created in the form of ammonia (which is a LOT easier to store, move, and otherwise manage than liquid hydrogen). Anyway - the intent is to have a grid with all of that excess energy specifically to support the creation of all of that ammonia, and secondarily provide virtually free electricity to the retail grid. Seriously.

My own silly thought for what to do with dramatically more electricity than we need is desalination plants and pumps to move really large quantities of saltwater-turned-freshwater inland. Maybe for agriculture. Maybe to enhance river flow. Maybe just to use along the coast in desert areas for the city water supply, leaving more river flow for agriculture. Southern California and the Middle East come to mind quickly as two examples with good renewable resources and a need for freshwater.

The key isn't that we need to know now what we'll do with vast quantities of virtually free electricity produced via solar / wind. Any more than we needed to know about Netflix / Facebook / Google before we started making broad use of the Internet for virtually free marginal cost communication. Creative and driven business people figured it out.

Unless the claim is that if we were 100% renewables today then we would still need to dramatically lower the energy consumption? I don't believe it offhand, but I'm more than willing to read a study that explains how renewables or fossil fuel based electricity generation is fundamentally close enough that either way energy per person has to drop dramatically.

What I DO see coming as a result of renewable electricity generation, plus over generation of the needed electricity, is a flat fee network access to the energy network. Exactly like internet service, we'll cough up some monthly fee for effectively unlimited electricity. That will drive nat gas, propane, heating oil, and any other fossil fuel out of the heating market (and electric generation) at any and every price.

What will change when we have "approximately zero marginal cost energy" available? Look to the Internet which I see as roughly 30 years old (general use - I know its older than that) to see what "approximately zero marginal cost communication" has done. THAT is what's coming, and it is NOT a lower energy world. It is a dramatically higher energy world.

There are numerous applications that we're making little, some, or a lot of progress on electrifying, but that we definitely can't do at scale today. Tractors on the farm (ag industry in general), steamrollers and other construction equipment (even if we've got the batteries for them to run for a day, how do they recharge overnight when the process today is to bring the diesel to them - there won't be a power cable), ocean going shipping, air travel all come to mind. Maybe somebody will figure out how to run fuel cell type systems using ammonia instead of liquid hydrogen (the supply chain is many orders of magnitude easier for ammonia than liquid hydrogen).

Heck we've got signs of life on short range commercial trucks going to electric. Signs of life though are little more than engineering scale prototypes. Actual general production at 000's of units still isn't here and we need 300k/year to fully replace new Class 8 tractors in the US, and something closer to 2x or 3x that to replace the current fleet on the road. The commercial truck fleet needs to make the transition before a lot of that other stuff. Include the rest of the world and it'll be 2-5x the US numbers.

Oh and trains. And oddly enough (and thankfully a field that IS going like gangbusters) the small gas engines we use to run blowers, mowers, edgers, etc.. Those things have no pollution controls and are collectively one of our worst contributors.

ALL of this has to electrify. Fortunately some clever and motivated people are going to figure it out as the light duty and then commercial transportation electrifies as that will take so much O&G demand out of the equation that the rest of the industries will figure out how to stop being dependent.

Anyway if you are actually proven right and what humanity has to do to survive the mess we're in is to dramatically reduce our individual energy footprint, then we're doomed. Achieving that is going to require not just individuals but all of humanity to willingly and eagerly implement a dramatic reduction in their total energy consumption. And its got to be the big energy consumers (USA) taking the lead as we're the ones that can move the needle. We can't even agree whether the last presidential election was stolen, or whether covid is real, or whether the vaccines work, or ... OMG - we can't even agree on what are true facts and which are alternative facts, which media is in the entertainment business and which is in the information business. The only two topics that I've seen our two major political parties agree on is the importance of expanding the defense department budget, and to find new ways of surveilling citizens and improving our implementation of an authoritarian state.

Do you think that we can get all of us to agree sufficiently to put a 100km/hr speed limiter and acceleration limiter into new and existing cars? And that's just the start to achieve what you're describing.

I don't :)

The problem with that line of thinking is that it goes counter to human nature and thus is impossible. If limiting the speed to 100km/hr worked, then why not go a step further and limit the speed to 80kph? Or two steps further and reduce people to bikes and buses-only? The problem is too many individual americans aren't willing to sacrifice their personal freedoms to make that a reality.

Plus, there's an asymptote to fuel consumption (and thus emissions) reduction. No matter how you try to optimize it (reducing speeds down further to 60kph might double mpg at best and thus give you a 50% reduction in emissions), there will always be NOx and CO2 coming out of that tailpipe. ALWAYS.

So no, having them switch to a zero-local-emissions product (which consumes only 10% more energy than a speed limited EV) is better than reducing fuel consumption. It's more likely to happen AND ultimately yields lower emissions.

If you're not convinced, look at the energy consumed by a Tesla model Y performance (sporty SUV) covering 300 miles at 120kph (120 mpge -
- chart at 11:04 shows 16.7kwh consumed per 60miles) versus a Toyota Prius covering the same distance at 60kph (assumes a doubling of its EPA highway rating of 53mpg). You'll see that the model Y would still consume less energy than the prius and it would have everything to do with the type of powertrain. AND it would be much easier to get people to switch to a model Y than a prius.

Lastly, the EIA has been relying on bad projections for the past decade (IEA Gets Hilariously Slammed For Obsessively Inaccurate Renewable Energy Forecasts). You can rely on them for data, but their projections are garbage. They make their predictions assuming that fossil fuels is a staple to a healthy economy/infrastructure, so of course there can only be one solution. Limiting your options is not a good way to solve problems. I disagree with them about "the only solid path forward".

Pretty sure we could find direct quotes from Tesla stating the opposite, I'm reminded of recent comments about permit delays at Giga Berlin affecting our ability to fight climate change.

But it sounds like we're mostly on the same page here, although it's not specific to Tesla because other EV brands are doing the same thing. The ESG movement is underlying the entire transition to EVs, and multiple manufacturers looking to capitalize on that movement are planning/producing/selling vehicles that are not aligned with milestones needed to achieve goals in the movement they're looking to capitalize on. I don't see that ending well for anyone.

I'm pretty sure you'd find it very difficult to get direct quotes from the Tesla PR department stating the opposite, because there is no Tesla PR department. And that's the point really.

ESG is primarily PR-based, backward-looking talk.
Tesla is disrupting transport and energy via rapid technological innovation.

Lastly, the EIA has been relying on bad projections for the past decade (IEA Gets Hilariously Slammed For Obsessively Inaccurate Renewable Energy Forecasts). You can rely on them for data, but their projections are garbage. They make their predictions assuming that fossil fuels is a staple to a healthy economy/infrastructure, so of course there can only be one solution. Limiting your options is not a good way to solve problems. I disagree with them about "the only solid path forward".
Ahem.

You're not the first. Although the EIA hasn't projected well either.

And I agree on the more general point of your full post. Forget behavior modification. Good technology and electrification is key way out of the current mess as it not only moves pollution from the tailpipe but gives you the huge opportunity of

Very large improvement in powertrain efficiency
X
Energy Return on Investment of renewable electricity generation
~
Huge primary fossil energy use reduction

Ahem.

You're not the first. Although the EIA hasn't projected well either.

And I agree on the more general point of your full post. Forget behavior modification. Good technology and electrification is key way out of the current mess as it not only moves pollution from the tailpipe but gives you the huge opportunity of

Very large improvement in powertrain efficiency
X
Energy Return on Investment of renewable electricity generation
~
Huge primary fossil energy use reduction
Technology and electrification alone are not enough. The IEA's roadmap to Net Zero by 2050 has Electric car sales reaching around 55million units per year by 2030 and zero ICE sales by 2035. Another half of the total reductions will need to come from technologies that either haven't been commercially proven yet or are in the prototype phase / don't even exist yet.

All of that is still not enough, behavior modification is necessary to achieve these goals. It seems that most in this thread haven't read the report, the only "realistic" and defined path forward we have, which is surprising in a topic about shorting fossil fuels.

To achieve these goals, we also need to be consuming 8% less energy overall in 2050 than we are now in 2021.

And all this can feed into a short/long position for a range of things including oil. The reality (and it's being reinforced here) is that reducing consumption is the key to fighting climate change but people don't want to consume less and they don't want to sacrifice anything. People want to swap out their dirty ICEs for ultra quick, modern, fun, luxurious EVs they can hammer off a green light and go from 0-60 in 2 seconds. If we ever perfect autonomous driving, people will want all of that in a package that makes long road trips easier and consumption will continue to increase.

Where will the energy come from? We want to retire coal plants, and hitting these renewable goals with 8% less overall energy consumption by 2050 already requires an insane pace of investment and construction of renewable energy sources. How will that be exacerbated when people refuse to consume less? Will fossil fuels still be very much required to fill the gaps?

We're relying on government regulations to spur adoption of renewables and EVs, and government regulations around this stuff might be required to achieve Net Zero by 2050 if the IEA's report is to be believed. Governments will need to institute a hard speed limit on all personal/commercial vehicles like a governor (could likely be pushed out over the air with the new tech) and build in eco-driving to curb people's desire to consume, or we're not hitting the climate goals that we're transitioning to EVs to achieve.

In a worst case scenario where governments got really serious about hitting the goals, restrictions like those could be put on performance vehicles that were sold to people just a few years prior despite knowing the milestones we need to hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
To achieve these goals, we also need to be consuming 8% less energy overall in 2050 than we are now in 2021.
I think we can consume as much renewable energy as we want. We do need to stop fossil fuel energy completely. (And considering that 60%+ of the energy in fossil fuels is wasted "primary energy", replacing fossil fuels with renewables will in and of itself cause a large reduction in energy use.
Technology and electrification alone are not enough. The IEA's roadmap to Net Zero by 2050 has Electric car sales reaching around 55million units per year by 2030 and zero ICE sales by 2035. Another half of the total reductions will need to come from technologies that either haven't been commercially proven yet or are in the prototype phase / don't even exist yet.
Wind, solar, batteries exist and work. They are only getting cheaper. We don't need to wait for a miracle new tech.

Interesting Read: Walkaway by Cory Doctorow
Sci Fi future where energy is free and robots do all the work including recycling materials to make new stuff and grow food. However, many people still believe they need to keep working and only a few courageous people "walk away" from the rat race. Doesn't end well.

I think we can consume as much renewable energy as we want. We do need to stop fossil fuel energy completely. (And considering that 60%+ of the energy in fossil fuels is wasted "primary energy", replacing fossil fuels with renewables will in and of itself cause a large reduction in energy use.

Wind, solar, batteries exist and work. They are only getting cheaper. We don't need to wait for a miracle new tech.

Interesting Read: Walkaway by Cory Doctorow
Sci Fi future where energy is free and robots do all the work including recycling materials to make new stuff and grow food. However, many people still believe they need to keep working and only a few courageous people "walk away" from the rat race. Doesn't end well.
If we follow this path and reduce our overall energy consumption by 8% by 2050, we still need to install the equivalent of the world's largest solar park every day for the next 29 years. That's already a tall order, it will truly not be possible if our energy consumption remains stable or increases.

This will require sacrifices from everyone, and I'm betting the unfortunate truth is that it won't happen because people are people and we're disinclined to reduce consumption. Either it won't happen or governments will need to get real serious real fast about the policies they enact, and following the IEA's path of behavioral changes to reduce energy consumption will essentially require nerfing all the performance vehicles we're selling now and that will still be on the road beyond 2030. That's the risk I see and why it seems strange that we're focusing on performance EVs.

Reactions: winfield100
If we follow this path and reduce our overall energy consumption by 8% by 2050, we still need to install the equivalent of the world's largest solar park every day for the next 29 years. That's already a tall order, it will truly not be possible if our energy consumption remains stable or increases.

This will require sacrifices from everyone, and I'm betting the unfortunate truth is that it won't happen because people are people and we're disinclined to reduce consumption. Either it won't happen or governments will need to get real serious real fast about the policies they enact, and following the IEA's path of behavioral changes to reduce energy consumption will essentially require nerfing all the performance vehicles we're selling now and that will still be on the road beyond 2030. That's the risk I see and why it seems strange that we're focusing on performance EVs.
No sacrifice.

In 2015 a study was published in Energy and Environmental Science that describes a pathway to 100% renewable energy in the United States by 2050 without using biomass. Implementation of this roadmap is regarded as both environmentally and economically feasible and reasonable, as by 2050 it would save about $600 Billion Dollars health costs a year due to reduced air pollution and $3.3 Trillion global warming costs. This would translate in yearly cost savings per head of around $8300 compared to a business as usual pathway. According to that study, barriers that could hamper implementation are neither technical nor economic but social and political, as most people didn't know that benefits from such a transformation far exceeded the costs.[73]

You want to follow an IEA transition plan?
That's like asking Exxon if you should buy a Tesla. Have you considered they might just be developing a "dramatic reduction" narrative to turn people off from the idea of transitioning to sustainable abundance?

You should really start another thread in the Energy or a more generic EV forum if you want to debate the merits of conservation vs rapid technological advances. This is the oil thread.

Speaking of oil.....

Bloomberg and CNBC are back at it after today's weekly supply report. They paint a picture of refineries absolutely gasping gorgeous supplies, meanwhile we're I year 6 of a permanent glut.

Someone even reported "record demand" today. I'm not sure if that's referring to crude or products, but it's almost physically impossible.

I wouldn't be shocked to see WTI run all the way back down to $30 in relatively short order. A 3rd covidvwace is clearly coming in a few short months and demand still hasn't recovered.

We shall see.

No sacrifice.
It was 92 and humid in Philly today, but because of my new hybrid water heater my central air never turned on. My tiny master bedroom window AC unit and the water tank heat pump were enough to keep 2400sqft cool all day.

My solar array spent most of the day running my immediate neighbor's AC units as they struggled to keep the heat at bay.

The future is sustainable AND abundant AND cheaper than the status quo.

Imagine if I were actually being compensated fairly for all the peak/peak work my array did today. I'd be loaded! Instead I simply get net metering.

@AndreP
take a look at this chart of energy use in the US
you might also skim through previous years and note an actual decrease.

look closely at petroleum and the % rejected energy (wasted) and transportation
around 75% wasted.

drop that by even 1/2 with electrification of vehicles and note the energy savings when transportation is such a large component

1625796549472.png