Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should 2.0 owners who’ve paid for FSD get the upgrade computer now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly do we not have other than Video games and Sentry mode? I mean when I purchased my Model S, neither of those features were promised to me. Dont remember reading about this when I purchased FSD also. Not sure what you are expecting

Because if for some reason 3.5 comes out, all those owners will complain that they have 2.5 or 3.0 and not the latest and greatest
I will probably wait with my 2.0 upgrade for the paid-for FSD not because of 3.5 but for 3.05 as likely there will be some tweaks in the first 6 months. I had a Sig X 90DL and dealt with some early release stuff. FW doors got v2 then v3 sensors eventually installed as a simplistic example.

Not enough chips in the last run for upgrades and new builds?
Want to revise the chip one last time before committing to the replacement program? Wouldn't want to do that twice.
Want to revise the PC board the chip is use on for better AP2.5 retrofit compatibility?
Need to figure out how they're going to do the AP2.0 retrofit?
Need to finish software for the AP2.0 retrofit?
Need to get current HW3 cars working better with current/future software?
Need to figure out how HW3 fits in with MCU1?
Not planning to introduce significantly different AP software for quite a while so no rush?

Not enough chips in the last run for upgrades and new builds?
Want to revise the chip one last time before committing to the replacement program? Wouldn't want to do that twice.
Want to revise the PC board the chip is use on for better AP2.5 retrofit compatibility?
Need to figure out how they're going to do the AP2.0 retrofit?
Need to finish software for the AP2.0 retrofit?
Need to get current HW3 cars working better with current/future software?
Need to figure out how HW3 fits in with MCU1?
Not planning to introduce significantly different AP software for quite a while so no rush?
Now that’s an answer!

Well that’s going to be a potential problem since Musk said installations will start later this year

You’ve been around long enough to know that Musk is in his own world.

Musk also made statements on a $35,000 Model 3, driving across the US FSD years ago, as well as many other features available at a timeline that wasn’t met. It’s just the reality that is Tesla. Trusting Musks claims on timley achievements is about as good as trusting my 4 year old when they tell me they don’t need to potty.

Well that’s going to be a potential problem since Musk said installations will start later this year
While he anticipated later this year, IIRC, the actual stated action trigger was FSD features that won't work on the old hardware because they are too resource intensive. IOW, when non-early access vehicles start getting AP features that AP2.0 and AP2.5 hardware cannot provide, the replacements should start rolling out, but not before then.

So they at least get the features of 2.5+ cars
AP2.5 vehicles with MCU1 are missing features that AP2.5 vehicles with MCU2 have. As mentioned upthread, these features weren't advertised when the car was sold and neither AP2 or AP2.5+MCU1 owners (such as myself) are entitled to them. While the dashcam feature that isn't supported in AP2 may technically be available after an AP3 upgrade, it is neither a promised-at-sale feature nor an FSD feature, so it doesn't justify the installation of the hardware per the aforementioned "timeline" regardless of the presence or lack of any other concerns.