Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should a reboot always be done after a software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never seen a *flood* of posts after an update of people who had to reboot. In fact I'd guess (and it's only a guess, as anyone would have to do, outside of Tesla looking at diagnostic history of every car after every update) that the vast majority of people don't have to reboot, and it's doing nothing but adding worry and an extra step to tell them they should.

Most of the update related posts I've seen have been failed updates, which reboots don't do anything to fix - takes a new push of the update or visit to the service center to have them do it. I think that it's a very small fraction of updates that fail - though that fraction might still be too large, and anyone actually affected would certainly think so :wink:

I fully admit I may just be standing here shaking my fist, railing against reality, but I really dislike how lax we've become at expecting sloppy engineering and doing the whole "just reboot it" thing with our computers and, increasingly, every other device in our lives. That said, quite often (right after shaking my fist in the air) I do the reboot, when it comes to my Windows boxes, Macs (less often), phones & tablets (even less often), etc.

Twice I've had to reboot the screens on the Tesla. That's twice too much. But neither was anytime near right after an update.

I'm not going to get all up in arms every time I have to reset the screens, but neither am I going to go so far as to *expect* it or do it prophylactically just in case. Every unplanned or user triggered reboot is a failure and I hope is tracked and eliminated over time (*shakes fist in air* :tongue:).