Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should cabin be hot when charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2024 MS is sitting in the garage set to charge to 80%. The garage temperature is 73F and the car interior is 79F. Is this temperature because it is charging every now and then to keep charge at 80%? Should i keep the climate turned on and maintain cabin at 72F?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you have sentry on or do not let the car sleep, the computers inside are on, and this will make that change in temperature. It is not a problem, and you don't need to keep the cabin any cooler in any weather. The battery will protect itself and cool or heat itself if it is needed.

Upvote 0
I was more concerned about what was causing that much heat.
Well, you did ask if you should keep the climate control on. :)

But some of the charge going into the battery gets converted to heat. Heat will have a tendency to rise. But I believe the bigger part is the computer under the dash. While it does have a cooling system, the computer can take a good bit of power which ends up as heat.

Think of it like leaving a 100+ watt lightbulb in an enclosed area for a while.

Reactions: Rocky_H and mtiede
Upvote 0
My 2024 MS is sitting in the garage set to charge to 80%. The garage temperature is 73F and the car interior is 79F. Is this temperature because it is charging every now and then to keep charge at 80%?
Maybe. Charging turns on all of the car’s electronics, which generates heat. More than likely the 6 degree difference between your garage ambient and the interior temp sensor in the car is just a matter of measurement, insulation from enclosed spaces, etc.
Should i keep the climate turned on and maintain cabin at 72F?
Of course not, that would be utterly ridiculous.

Reactions: Rocky_H and mtiede
Upvote 0
I also see an increase in cabin temp display when charging is on. I doubt that it is really heat rising up from the battery, the jump in temp is way too soon from charging start, even on coldish mornings. I suspect the cabin temp sensor might be somewhere near a warm computer or coolant line.

Upvote 0
The charger that converts the 240V AC to the 400V DC to put into the battery is inside the body of the car somewhere. That does have a little heat when it is running, so it is creating some heat inside the body of the car. On my old 2014 one, that charger is under the back seats; I don't remember where it is on the newer ones. But it is very common that the heat rises into the cabin and accumulates in there a bit, making the inside of the car several degrees warmer than the garage. It's nothing unusual. As a couple of people mentioned, it could also be the car's internal computers contributing some heat too, but I tend to think the charger is more of it.

Reactions: mtiede and brkaus
Upvote 0