Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV Sound Generator

Hello,
A friend of mines wife recently got a SMART EV. She thinks that there is a way to plug in some kind of module or something that can generate sounds at slow speeds. A way so people can hear it. You could make it sound like a Ferrari or something exotic. Anyone heard of this and more importantly where one could pick one up?

-Rod

Hello,
A friend of mines wife recently got a SMART EV. She thinks that there is a way to plug in some kind of module or something that can generate sounds at slow speeds.
-Rod

My Smart ED came from factory with a slow speed noise generator. It sounds futuristic and cool. I like it. Doesn't bother me at all and glad to have something that warns people I'm coming in the mall parking lot. Have actually discussed this with most people I give a test drive, as they comment on how quiet the car is "above 50", and I explain that below that speed, noise is artificially generated, usually the comment back is "I like that sound". One guy said it sounded like a car from the "Jetsons". ;-)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mandating a low speed noise to EVs is like using a shotgun to remove a potentially cancerous mole from your body. Chances are, it will do far more harm than good. There is a real concern to be addressed, but it requires precision from smart people to solve. Just ask Elon what would be a proper way to address pedestrian concerns and you will learn what a proper way this concern can be addressed, and it's not a noise pollution maker that comes on at low speed.

If smart people are put in charge to come up with an intelligent solution that finely addresses the issue, I will support it. But a poorly thought out mandate to make noise at low speed is asinine and I will oppose it with every fiber of my being.

I'm not kidding when I say the low speed noise mandate is enough for me to never buy a new EV. If this mandate goes into affect without measures to allow intelligent solutions, I will only buy used EVs from before the mandate, if I buy an EV at all.

I'm not kidding when I say the low speed noise mandate is enough for me to never buy a new EV. If this mandate goes into affect without measures to allow intelligent solutions, I will only buy used EVs from before the mandate, if I buy an EV at all.

I'm certainly supportive of any mandates for noise generators, but having one on my car doesn't cause me any issues, even though it is a 10 minute procedure to unplug it, and I know how to, I just have left it the way it is.

To each their own.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mandating a low speed noise to EVs is like using a shotgun to remove a potentially cancerous mole from your body. Chances are, it will do far more harm than good. There is a real concern to be addressed, but it requires precision from smart people to solve. Just ask Elon what would be a proper way to address pedestrian concerns and you will learn what a proper way this concern can be addressed, and it's not a noise pollution maker that comes on at low speed.

If smart people are put in charge to come up with an intelligent solution that finely addresses the issue, I will support it. But a poorly thought out mandate to make noise at low speed is asinine and I will oppose it with every fiber of my being.

I find these two statements to be in ironic conflict.

What is an "intelligent solution" for this problem?

My LEAF has a synthetic noise at slow speed. It is barely audible and I have found it very helpful navigating pedestrians in large parking lots. My Model S, on the other hand, remains silent, and I have frequently wished for some sort of sound to alert oblivious pedestrians to my presence. Honking the horn is much to loud and obnoxious. In summer, I simply leave the window down with the music turned up. One possible remedy would be a low level (polite) pedestrian warning horn. IMHO characterizing the sound emitted by the Smart or the LEAF as noise pollution is a vast overstatement. Perhaps we should next target the extraordinary light pollution created by all those government mandated headlights. I, too, would like to hear what this "intelligent solution" is.

As EV drivers we need to be good citizens willing to make minor concessions for the safety of others. Otherwise we run the risk of reinforcing the elitist, entitled, wealthy EV driver image.

Pedestrian horn is a good option.

Active sensors is a better idea - in fact could automatically brake and sound a pedestrian horn.

Reversing beeper could be mandated for all cars but would probably not work because it would be ubiquitous.

I think I might install an aftermarket pedestrian horn. Not because I've had any issues really, a pedestrian horn would have helped on my old ICE too.

Are they seriously going to start mandating stupid noisemakers on all EVs come 2015? I think I might barf. (I hope everyone dismantles them in protest)

A pedestrian horn is a good idea, but if it's going to be mandated, it should be mandated for all cars. Gas & hybrid cars are pretty quiet too at low speed, and it would be just as useful as in an EV to be able to warn a pedestrian without making them jump out of their skin. Continuous fake engine noise is just stupid - manufactured noise pollution.