Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a similar rule going through the EU at the moment (link) and it also gives special treatment to EVs and hybrids.

IMO it must also become illegal for pedestrians to use the phone or wear headphones whilst near a road. People who are hard of hearing are also at risk. To mitigate these immense risks, EVs and hybrids should be fitted with police sirens, emitting a minimum of 120 decibels at speeds < 30mph... ;)

Is this law not designed to protect the stupid? It seems to be aimed at preventing a pedestrian who would blindly walk into traffic from getting run over. Isn't that exactly the kind of person who should get run over according to Darwin? :smile:

Anyone who has ever been stuck in noisy rush hour traffic in any metro downtown area will know how stupid this law is. You could drive a tank in Manhattan in rush hour and no one would hear it. Ironically if they passed laws to make cars quieter, fewer people in areas with high pedestrian traffic would get killed because they'd actually have a chance of hearing cars coming their way.

Please, if anyone at tesla engineering reads this, put the speaker and wire with plug in connector accessible in frunk so I can, say, upgrade speaker...

- - - Updated - - -

Nerfing the world, one step at a time.
Problem is, it's NOT. So many pedestrians have earphones or are looking at phones, this protects nobody.... Just adds noise pollution so they'll turn the headphones up.

As the self proclaimed president and CEO of NPLGAIATRGAAORGV (Noise Patrol Limitations Group As It Applies to Rules Governing Automobiles And Other Road Going Vehicles) I protest this as we are going to have hearing loss, scared calfs and baby deer and ruin the ecosystem of roadside plants that are sensitive to this type of artificial noise.

<flame retardant suit donned>

Outstanding! Tesla might use the existing sound system with external speakers, permitting only the loudest, most obnoxious rap with deep thunderous bass. That should work well in suburban traffic, not so well, perhaps, in the heart of major metropoli. Or, perhaps location specific sounds, with the 1812 overture finale serving in purported high-risk neighbourhoods. The possibilities are nearly endless.

Minimum Noise is Federal Law Now

Photon Torpedoes, full spread!!

If we could choose the noise and everyone uses machine gun fire, they would probably reverse the law pretty quick.

The other option would be to make it obnoxiously loud, as loud as Harley's or the squealing fan belt, or steering pump with bad bearings, train horn or semi jake brake would be good too.

Sad thing is this could be a software update that gets pushed to all of our cars.

EU already looking at it.
One of my clients was involved in an EU research project in conjunction with Nissan a while back.
No idea where it got to though.

I would have thought a recording that says "Excuse me - Tesla coming past, sorry about the noise, I am only making it due to some daft regulations, otherwise I would be happy to leave you in peace"

At least the noise requirement is limited to speeds under 18 MPH (30 km/H). And while I can't figure out exactly how loud it has to be, I don't think it's intended to alert someone with headphones on. Instead, it is obviously geared, primarily towards people who are blind.

Interestingly, Tesla didn't file any comments. Moreover, the explanatory texts seems to suggest that Tesla would have installed such a system without the rule, which I doubt. Finally, it seems like none of the tested vehicle were BEVs. Perhaps the rule could be challenged on appeal given that glaring omission.

At least the noise requirement is limited to speeds under 18 MPH (30 km/H). And while I can't figure out exactly how loud it has to be, I don't think it's intended to alert someone with headphones on. Instead, it is obviously geared, primarily towards people who are blind.

Interestingly, Tesla didn't file any comments. Moreover, the explanatory texts seems to suggest that Tesla would have installed such a system without the rule, which I doubt. Finally, it seems like none of the tested vehicle were BEVs. Perhaps the rule could be challenged on appeal given that glaring omission.

That's what I'm hoping. Someone challenges this and delays the rule for a few years.

The Nissan LEAF emits such a noise.

I have a LEAF and can testify that nobody NOBODY is alerted by it. People are not even alerted by gasoline engine noise any more - unless you step on the pedal so the motor revs up. Not being able to do so with the LEAF noisemaker renders it useless.

At least the noise requirement is limited to speeds under 18 MPH (30 km/H).
Oh, well, then the noise will only be produced for about 0,5 seconds in a P85D :)