Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ridiculous! Would make me feel like a cow with a bell around the neck.

10_d90aeb9ccf70e6339f499c4ebb91adb8.jpg

Presently we don't have no such regulation in Europe but I guess it's only a matter of time.

Last edited:
This is ONLY going to help the blind. Minimally I imagine. I'd like to see the data for the number of pedestrians hit that were blind. The rest of the population getting hit is too oblivious. How many times in an ICE did we drive through a parking lot WAITING for someone to move out of our way. I didn't want to honk because I didn't want to scare them or be that guy or be whatever. But this is just dumb.

If this is a law, it should also be a law that you can't use your phone while walking because most people can't multitask.

Further, I require this to be the official sound of EVs everywhere -

Last edited by a moderator:
Why doesn't the government just institute a regulation that no one can wear earphones or look at their phone while on the street or parking lot. Then the pedestrian injury rate from both ice and ev cars would drop dramatically.

A lot more voters have phones and headphones and would be upset and vote them out of office. Not a lot of EV drivers. Best to get this law slipped in before too many people care is probably what they are thinking.

Phase in starts with at least 30% of the vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2015. I can't imagine Tesla only putting this on some of their cars. The phase in seems to be setup for manufacturers with multiple models and only applying it to certain models to meet the requirements. So I'd expect that all Tesla's made after September 1, 2015 will have this.

It'll be 2016. The original proposal called for the rule to be made in 2014, with phase-in one year later. It's been delayed, so it'll be September 1, 2016.

From the proposed rule:

The PSEA requires that the final rule establishing this standard be issued by January 4, 2014 and include a phase-in schedule that concludes with “full compliance with the required motor vehicle safety standard for motor vehicles manufactured on or after September 1st of the calendar year that begins 3 years after the date on which the final rule is issued.” For example the means that if the final rule is issued January 4, 2014, compliance would commence on September 1, 2015, which would mark the start of a three-year phase-in period. We tentatively conclude that the following phase in schedule is reasonable for manufacturers and allows the fastest implementation of the standard for pedestrian safety:

This means phase-in will start September, 2016 (30%), then 60% in September, 2017, 90% in September, 2018, and 100% from September, 2019.

It's confusingly worded, but "calendar year that begins 3 years after the date" needs to be interpreted. The final rule was issued this month, therefore 3 years later is April, 2018; however, compliance needs to be reached with the calendar year that *begins* after 3 years past the final rule. This means that September 1, 2019 is the date for full compliance.

I'm hoping and praying that initial Model X is devoid of this "feature".

Last edited:
Yay!
Just what we need in this world - more pollution.
Noise pollution STILL is an externality; it is execrable that this particular one serves no purpose other than making regulators feel good.

My current 10 year old ICE very rarely alerts people in the parking lot as they mosey along in the middle of the lanes. I just run them over because they've received ample warning. If my Tesla doesn't have an alert noise I'll have to be fair and just creep along behind them since they didn't know a car was using the driving lanes.

Another reason to be glad I'm getting an early Model X.

Are you sure they aren't just trying to get the 'sound' right and the rest of the X has been compete and tested for a while?

... while showing my car at earth day there was this reaally grumpy lady just trash talking these 'death mobiles' that are running around killing people everywhere and how much longer is the government going to allow these horrendous cars to be made!
what a piece of work. pay the F attention! I've never almost hit anyone looking where they were going. Never almost hit any blind person either...they actually LOOK where they are going

This is a hate based law and nothing more. This is made evident by that it singles out a type of car instead of focusing on the perceived problem (which itself is highly debatable). It's analogous to forcing Japanese Americans to live in internment camps during World War II. Thinly based reasoning used to vilify and punish a particular class of product or society hated by those in power.

This is a hate based law and nothing more. This is made evident by that it singles out a type of car instead of focusing on the perceived problem (which itself is highly debatable). It's analogous to forcing Japanese Americans to live in internment camps during World War II. Thinly based reasoning used to vilify and punish a particular class of product or society hated by those in power.

If hyperbole, poor taste. If serious, well, I won't go there.

I kind of wish mine made some kind of noise at low speeds. I can't even count the number of times I've been stuck in a parking lot crawling along at walking pace behind some pedestrians that don't even realize I'm there.

That said, kind of stupid to make it a requirement, especially when it doesn't apply equally to all quiet cars.

Agree with everyone, this is a silly requirement...especially the fact that it only applies to EVs. I walk the streets in New York City almost daily, and sometimes I imagine what it would be like if all the cars made no sound (engine sounds...not much you can do about the honking!), it would be a lot more quiet! We shouldn't go backwards and add more sound to our environment.

The best solution to this alleged "problem" that I have seen (heard) is on the Chevy Volt. There is a function on the steering column (maybe part of the wiper stalk) that allows the driver to make a brief "chirp" outside the car. It's much less obtrusive than using the horn, but it gets the point across to unaware pedestrians. I've scared the crap out of a few people in parking garages that don't hear me behind them (never mind they've decided to walk down the middle of the lane), and a manually activated chirp would've been a nice alternative. I would imagine Tesla could build this in as an automatic function as well when the car detects someone nearby or in front of the car.

I dunno, I think I would call it a "disgusting double standard" as opposed to interesting...

Interesting that they single out EVs, and give a pass to ICE vehicles that run very quietly at lower speeds.

Edit***if Canada passes a version of the same law and exempts ICE vehicles, I hope we can customize our sound-maker...I want one that yells out "my MP is a pinhead!!!"

Are you sure they aren't just trying to get the 'sound' right and the rest of the X has been compete and tested for a while?

My guess is that they haven't, although I'm sure it's listed on a contingency plan somewhere - a sound channel saved in the touchscreen. Hopefully the speaker/transducer/whatever only gets fit to the car when required (Sept. 2016 and beyond).

I don't want it.