Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Back Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove 6 hours to Jacksonville to accept delivery of my 2017 Model X100D. Upon arriving, was told the X is having trouble accepting a firmware update. I was able to do a walkaround, but unable to test a lot of functions: MCU is inop until the firmware is completed. Looks okay-ish other than some hood scuffs/scratches that they're going to try and fix (had not been detailed since they were working the firmware issue).

I tried to leverage the situation to try and get a discounted MCU2 install. I was/am planning on upgrading anyway. The delivery center offered me some supercharging miles, but I was told they can't do anything on the MCU upgrade since it was a "Used Vehicle Department" issue, so they've been calling back to the West Coast to talk to them. I did the same, and eventually was offered hotel comp'd and "50 dollars worth of merch". I passed on the merch as I felt that would be sealing my fate.

Bottom line is I'm owed a phone call tomorrow from the delivery center to confirm if the firmware update worked.

FWIW, purchase price is ~$68K.
My must-have options on this car:
6 seater
FSD
Warranty through Sep '22

Included (icing on the cake), but not must haves:
20" Sonic Carbon wheels
Black interior
Red exterior
Ultra Hi Fi
Subzero
Towing Package
**Fully understand these are all standard equipment now, but couldn't get FSD at this price new**

Thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: FirstInTown
So I'd ask them - point blank - if the vehicle is suffering from the eMMC failure issue. If that's the case, they should proactively be replacing the MCU *computer*. And if that's the case, see if they'll at least do it all in one shot so you don't have to tear the car apart again to get the MCUv2 upgrade. It only makes sense -- for them and for you.

I wouldn't let an MCU/firmware issue steer you away from the car if the rest of it is in good shape. That's well known, well understood, and once fixed, won't be an issue anymore.

Reactions: MikeScarne
BLUF update: Accepted delivery yesterday.

More deets for anyone interested: I knew it going in, but what a sloppy, disorganized process. To be fair, the individual workers (OA + body shop guys) all seem to be decent humans, but so much bureaucratic red tape and stovepiping within the company and process.

1) OA did not know about Tesla's official standards for used vehicles and cosmetics. Specifically, unaware scratches > 1" should not be present. Showed him on Tesla's website. Vehicle had several cosmetic stuff outta specs, all of which were resolved on the spot except for a deep scratch, which was noted on the paperwork for resolution at a later date.

2) Was promised a couple thousand supercharger miles as compensation, but they have not shown up and was unable to use them on my 6 hour drive back home.

3) Tires were inflated 10 lbs too low, so had to pull over, pay, and inflate all 4 tires. Called to report this issue and was told potentially more supercharger miles, but zilch so far, maybe it takes a few days to show up.

Beyond that, LOVE the car! Already scheduled for MCU2 + FSD computer install. I say scheduled, but haven't received any confirmation from Service Center that they even have the parts or will even allow me (AP 2.0 car) to upgrade to 3.0 right now. Crossing my fingers...

BLUF update: Accepted delivery yesterday.

More deets for anyone interested: I knew it going in, but what a sloppy, disorganized process. To be fair, the individual workers (OA + body shop guys) all seem to be decent humans, but so much bureaucratic red tape and stovepiping within the company and process.

1) OA did not know about Tesla's official standards for used vehicles and cosmetics. Specifically, unaware scratches > 1" should not be present. Showed him on Tesla's website. Vehicle had several cosmetic stuff outta specs, all of which were resolved on the spot except for a deep scratch, which was noted on the paperwork for resolution at a later date.

2) Was promised a couple thousand supercharger miles as compensation, but they have not shown up and was unable to use them on my 6 hour drive back home.

3) Tires were inflated 10 lbs too low, so had to pull over, pay, and inflate all 4 tires. Called to report this issue and was told potentially more supercharger miles, but zilch so far, maybe it takes a few days to show up.

Beyond that, LOVE the car! Already scheduled for MCU2 + FSD computer install. I say scheduled, but haven't received any confirmation from Service Center that they even have the parts or will even allow me (AP 2.0 car) to upgrade to 3.0 right now. Crossing my fingers...

I have been considering a used X, sold by Tesla. Is it accurate that you pay in full and then you get to see the car? But you can decline if not acceptable by you and get your money back?

Did they put in writing FSD upgrade at n/c?

I have been considering a used X, sold by Tesla. Is it accurate that you pay in full and then you get to see the car? But you can decline if not acceptable by you and get your money back?

Did they put in writing FSD upgrade at n/c?
You see the car at delivery date, but you don't have to pay in full to see it on delivery date. Example, I had my Credit Union send a check directly to Tesla, but I could have had the Credit Union send the check to me. I could have then brought the check on delivery date.

There is a $500 deposit (and $2K shipping charge in my case to ship from AZ to FL) before you get to see the car. I'm not sure how hard it is to get the deposit back. Shipping charge is probably a no-go for refund. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any local ones, so I had to roll the dice.

I specifically searched only for FSD Model X's, which is easily done on EV-Tsla, EV-CPO or even Tesla.com.

If I didn't want FSD, there's a decent chance I would have bit the bullet and bought new. Newer tech, longer warranty, longer range, etc. But for my purposes, building a new FSD 6-seater Model X was way outta my budget.

Good luck!

Jason

Reactions: cobra