Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be upset about receiving a 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same exact thing happened with me. I was told (and has so far proven correct) that the last P3D's built were in December. The January line were non-Performance models and the February line (which does include Performance) is heading overseas. March will pick back up the P3D for US, so expect delivery sometime in April at the earliest. I had the option of cancelling my order, or accepting the late December build, which I did. Happy to be driving it around now - received last week. Regardless of what anyone says, there is a 2018 vs 2019 model year hit when it comes time to resale. Just because Tesla continuously updates their vehicles, doesn't negate the fact that model year is one of the metrics used in determining value. It starts at roughly $1,500 after the first year in depreciation for a 19 vs 18, then drops each subsequent year. By the time the car is 4 years old, the difference is about $500. Since the car should be the exact same functionally, it boils down to whether you are willing to wait to save the $$$ down the line on trade-in. Either way you go, you'll love the car.

Ordered a new P3D in late January and just received my VIN indicating it was built in 2018. Should I be upset about this? Seems like I’m immediately losing a year of resale value.

Did you get a discount on the price?
If yes, no.
If no, yes.

But, depending on your state, a "holdover" vehicle could give you the benefit of reduced property tax.

The whole model year thing doesn’t make any sense. If you buy a 2019 Honda Civic in late 2018, it’s considered a 2019 even though it was built in 2018. At least Tesla is being honest by using actual build date.

The VIN contains the production date (not delivery date). This date is one of the many metrics used in determining resale value. Tesla may not build directly off model year, but the rest of the world uses this to determine value.

• Informative
Reactions: myt-e-s-l-a
The VIN contains the production date (not delivery date). This date is one of the many metrics used in determining resale value. Tesla may not build directly off model year, but the rest of the world uses this to determine value.

For the rest of the industry, VIN production date often doesn’t match the model year. Again, there’s been a ridiculous trend of selling next year’s model as early as spring of the current year (e.g. 2019 Honda Civics hitting the showrooms in early to mid 2018). In this case, resale value is more dependent on the model year than the production date. I don’t see anyone arguing that a 2019 Honda isn’t actually a 2019. But Tesla does not follow this methodology.

Ordered a new P3D in late January and just received my VIN indicating it was built in 2018. Should I be upset about this? Seems like I’m immediately losing a year of resale value.

I really hope that everyone knows that if you go to any other dealership, just about every car on the lot would be made in 2018, even now, but still called a 2019 model.

I really hope that everyone knows that if you go to any other dealership, just about every car on the lot would be made in 2018, even now, but still called a 2019 model.
Of course, but those vehicles are marketed as 2019 models and have the resale value of a 2019 model. This is literally a 2018 Tesla Model 3, not a 2019 Tesla Model 3.

Last edited:
2018??? That’s so 2 years ago. BMW is selling 2020 Alpina B7s already. I got an email lol.

• 4.4 Liter twin-turbocharged V8 produces 600 hp and 590 lb-ft of torque.
  • 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and a top speed of 205 mph.
  • ALPINA Sport+ chassis settings lower vehicle 0.6 inches.
  • MSRP of $141,700 plus $995 Destination.
Woodcliff Lake – Feb. 11th, 2019…Today, ALPINA, together with BMW, introduces the revised version of its exclusive B7 xDrive sedan. The new 2020 B7 is the 6th generation full-size performance-luxury model from ALPINA and the 3rd generation of B7 to be available in the U.S.

Oh ya. How does BMW ship a huge 7 series from across the pond for $995 but Tesla charged me $1200 to ship the model 3 across town?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormond
I order in late Jan and they tried to give me a 2018 and threw in free sport wheels. I decided not to take it but you should at least be getting some type of discount like that. Even on Tesla's own inventory site of used cars they list vehicle year and consumers are still very much attached to vehicle year because that's how the auto industry has worked. In the end I was not willing to take this $1.5k discount to have an older model year than I was expecting when I ordered my car to be built. Instead I'll just continue to wait I guess.

I order in late Jan and they tried to give me a 2018 and threw in free sport wheels. I decided not to take it but you should at least be getting some type of discount like that. Even on Tesla's own inventory site of used cars they list vehicle year and consumers are still very much attached to vehicle year because that's how the auto industry has worked. In the end I was not willing to take this $1.5k discount to have an older model year than I was expecting when I ordered my car to be built. Instead I'll just continue to wait I guess.
My closest Store has the replacement car I want, but it is a 2018. They have lowered the price by ~300 (including destination charge).

2018??? That’s so 2 years ago. BMW is selling 2020 Alpina B7s already. I got an email lol.

• 4.4 Liter twin-turbocharged V8 produces 600 hp and 590 lb-ft of torque.
  • 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and a top speed of 205 mph.
  • ALPINA Sport+ chassis settings lower vehicle 0.6 inches.
  • MSRP of $141,700 plus $995 Destination.
Woodcliff Lake – Feb. 11th, 2019…Today, ALPINA, together with BMW, introduces the revised version of its exclusive B7 xDrive sedan. The new 2020 B7 is the 6th generation full-size performance-luxury model from ALPINA and the 3rd generation of B7 to be available in the U.S.

Oh ya. How does BMW ship a huge 7 series from across the pond for $995 but Tesla charged me $1200 to ship the model 3 across town?

Stands to be pointed out that the B7 is currently the fastest production sedan.

So is it safe to assume in NA that ordering a car now would probably net you a 2018 model year instead of a 2019 as they are sending those to EU?

Going through the same thing myself. Ordered a mid range on Feb 2 and was offered a (December made) 2018 "New - Previous service/demo vehicle", VIN ending in 1674xy. My first or second week of Dec 2018 MR was VIN 1555xx. Would not have taken the car just for that weird label, car was apparently 11.6 miles. My first M3 was showing simply "new" in the column. Was told similarly there is no new production of MRs. Color combo and options unavailable nationwide in New inventory. Ended up with an AWD with 19" wheels but available locally. Got the loan in 2 days, may have delivery this week.

The AWD is a 2019 (barely, apparently first or second week of 2019) with VIN 1926xy. Did not care about the 19" wheels' price and range loss so told them to swap for 18" but just got a $1.5k credit... Not sure if they plan on swapping but will not ask again what will happen, either is fine with me. MVPA shows 19" wheels and the reduction is under line 1-B (Other: Price Adjustment)

• Disagree
Reactions: Gpa9504