Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy 4 month old model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I’ve seen a 4 month old model 3 with 4000 miles on it. Is it worth risking rather that a new one and what are the pit falls.
it’s a SR+ registered June 21 with door trims so I’m guessing it’s MIC. Would that be LFP battery?

It’s at a car supermarket and it’s just about same price as a new one ( before haggling) but they would probably retail my trade in so I’m thinking I might get more for it? I am a bit worried about where it’s come from unless it’s a returned lease car or something like that.

No point paying the same money or close to. Depending on your car, sticking it on Motorway seems to be the best bet at the moment as dealers are after half decent cars to sell. You could be in a new one in a couple of months without any concerns of why its for sale. It could be a Tesla reject they've punted out into the trade for all you know.

Reactions: Mark-R and browellm
If somebody sold it after a couple of months then there's a good chance there could be issues with it and they wanted rid.

It could be genuine reasons but I'd always be wary of a new car like that being punted on.

There was a similar car at my local Mercedes dealer's used car section. The owner simply couldn't deal with the touch screen and other things. He bought a hybrid C Class.
Not. everyone is in love with their Tesla or EV for that matter....

If you are not aware, Tesla deliveries come in cycles, with deliveries starting around 2 half of second month of each (calendar) quarter and peaking towards the end of the quarter.

As cars are not made to order, Tesla just build what they estimate as the demand which means that there will be some shortages in some specifications and excess in others. If you are not too fussy on final spec (of which there are limited permutations anyway) then Tesla start listing inventory stock during the delivery phase which you can order if one is available. Stock of those cars is very volatile. But it does mean that you can nab a car and get it delivered at very short notice, far quicker than getting on the waiting list for a car of your spec. Don’t expect any haggling to be done on any Tesla.

Next quarters deliveries probably starting about a month away.

Yes maybe inventory is the way to. My BMW is due for service and mot end of December so I would like to move it on before I cop for a BMW service bill. The car I’ve seen is red and looks stunning, probably not much chance of dropping on a red SR+

That’s the thing, it could be quite legitimate, or it might not. I guess you could say that about any car, but either way I’d be looking at new if the price was that close. Late Dec cars in the last 2 years have had updates, last year was big with the heat pump and dechrome, if you can hang on for a month and chance getting an inventory car in Dec you might get the first of the 2022 spec cars as opposed to the last of the 2021 spec cars.

OP should go for a test and see if they actually like the car first and judge for themselves and then decide on which way to go

Reactions: Nick77