Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Charge While at Airport?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you worried you will run out of charge during your trip? Because you will be fine. If you have sentry mode on you will lose about 1 mi every hour though. If you don't have sentry enabled, then no worries. You should only lose about 1% charge per day

If its available at the lot your in, I would plug in and then turn on sentry mode. If you dont plug in, dont turn sentry mode, since if you do, as mentioned, you will lose approximately 1 mile an hour, or 24 miles a day. Worrying about charge while you are gone on your trip is not something you want to do, so plug in if available.

If not, as mentioned you would be fine as long as you turn off sentry mode.. I would also recommend turning off cabin overheat protection as well, myself... but I always park in a covered lot when I travel so its not quite as much heat beating down on the car.

Do you need to charge? If not, don’t... leave the spaces for someone who does.

If it’s 30 miles from home, park with 70-80% SOC. Even after two weeks, you’ll still have enough to get back home.

If you want to run sentry mode the entire time, then do plug it in.

Reactions: mrElbe
If the row is available, it's 120V plugs, and it isn't over half full, then I'd go for it.
If it's over half full, then it very possible may get full and some folks may really need to charge to be able to get home. You could lose well over 100 miles and still get home easily.