Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I clean dust between washes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The California Duster is an item you can get from an auto parts store that does a great job of lifting not scratching when you dust. Don't let it build up, dust every day when your car is dry. If you just came out to the street to drive it, take it to work and THEN dust, or do it in your garage. Don't want morning dew to cause the dust to stick and scrape.

Honestly I have given up on the duster, too much work. It's only for you, no one else is going to notice. And if you notice, just wash it. We have a $5 touchless car watch at the local Raily's. When there is buildup, I take the car to the dealership and have them hand wash it. Very little issues with my paint, but I do have the dealer paint protection added to the surface and recently re-applied after a small amount of body work.

-Randy

Reactions: gr2020
So you just use a sponge or spray bottle with this ONR and then wipe the dirt with a towel and it doesn't scratch your car? Its this correct?
Yep
If you've done a rinseless wash before it's pretty much the same idea. Just no bucket
I usually use a cap of the Optimum no rinse in a spray bottle. Shake well. I do an area at a time. Spray some solution. Let it sit there a short time.Then wipe down in straight lines. Dry with another microfiber. Just make sure your towels are clean. You fold into quarters so you have 4 clean towel sections to work with. I usually go through 2-3 cleaning towels.

One caution. Be careful not to drop you towels or touch the ground with them. Microfiber towels attract everything and are very hard to clean if you picks up debris

• Informative
Reactions: Tomnook
I would not use a duster.
A brushless car wash or even a strong hose would be safer.
Also, make sure you have at least a good synthetic wax, to protect the paint as much as possible.
Nah, duster is fine, just use it when it very very lightly. Lots of posts on this topic if you search. Also some analytics from Junkman. Like I said I use it one or twice a week for almost two years and zero swirls and I detail my car myself. You will get swirls if the car is very dirty and you put pressure on the duster.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Nah, duster is fine, just use it when it very very lightly. Lots of posts on this topic if you search. Also some analytics from Junkman. Like I said I use it one or twice a week for almost two years and zero swirls and I detail my car myself. You will get swirls if the car is very dirty and you put pressure on the duster.

Agree. Duster is fine. Never had any issues. They ship new with a wax film on the dusters. Don't know why, but takes awhile to break in and not have any residue left on your car.