Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a 2 year old reservation for model 3 for a $500 premium or just create new reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your considering the max fed credit in your purchase plan then you might want to buy his reservation.

The 2 years old reservation will get the same estimated delivery date range (Aug-Oct, Sept-Nov, Oct-Dec) as a new reservation if both were configured today.. Some people think that older reservation maybe get their delivery earlier in the 3 months range, but there is really no prove of that yet.

As more and more people found out that they can't get full tax credit for SR Model 3 or Model 3 without Premium package, I think we will see more and more people selling their 2+ years old reservation hoping to get something back.

I disagree if your in the queve for the last two years you have priority over newer reservations. I believe if he config the currently available LR MOdel 3 with this two year reservation his car would be delivered within the the 4 to 6week timeframe . Remember Tesla is kicking out this configuration at 500,000 RATE NOW . The new reservations with delays are those looking for AWD ect....Teslas need to ramp up this new options configurartions. remember how slow the first 3s came out . Everytime they add options it slows the config and delivery. Plus everyone who differed config invitations and wanted an AWD are now back in play, so naturally it will cause a delay in delivery. Just my point of view.

I disagree if your in the queve for the last two years you have priority over newer reservations. I believe if he config the currently available LR MOdel 3 with this two year reservation his car would be delivered within the the 4 to 6week timeframe . Remember Tesla is kicking out this configuration at 500,000 RATE NOW . The new reservations with delays are those looking for AWD ect....Teslas need to ramp up this new options configurartions. remember how slow the first 3s came out . Everytime they add options it slows the config and delivery. Plus everyone who differed config invitations and wanted an AWD are now back in play, so naturally it will cause a delay in delivery. Just my point of view.

this does not seem to be true. i live in southern california, 4/1/16 reservation, ordered LR RWD once they opened the flood gates two weeks ago and have heard NOTHING since. meanwhile, plenty of people who reserved even more than a year after me have been posting about delivery dates and VIN assignments. it's getting really frustrating at this point...

It now seems obvious that the date of the original reservation now means nothing in the order they are delivering cars. If Tesla wants to maximize their income, they should only care about people who are paying cash, no trade ins, and are closest to the Fremont factory or other distribution places that have inventory.

It now seems obvious that the date of the original reservation now means nothing in the order they are delivering cars. If Tesla wants to maximize their income, they should only care about people who are paying cash, no trade ins, and are closest to the Fremont factory or other distribution places that have inventory.
Agreed. The $500 upcharge for an old reservation is a placebo--it might make you feel good, but it (probably) does nothing useful. OTOH, it might make you feel good. Heck, *I* might even pay $500 for that! :D

I'm in market to get a Model 3. I spoke to a seller who was willing to sell his reservation for a $500 premium. In light of recent events, I've heard that people who are creating reservations now are also getting the same wait time.

Do you guys think I should just create my own reservation and order?
Thanks
It seems like they are being delivered pretty quickly but it depends on if the reservation is ready to configure and how quickly you want the car...

Why in the world would you pay for reservation? You can place an order now.

Tesla is opening Model 3 online configurator to everyone

I got lots of down votes when I predicted a couple of months ago that there would be plenty of model threes before the end of the year. Looks like it’s going to happen even earlier than that. The question will quickly become not “how can we produced 6000 model threes per week” but “how can we sell 6000 model threes per week.”

With the asinine trade war and resulting tariffs, the critical chance to sell much of that weekly production in the rest of the world is looking like it may be cut off, too.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J