Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I keep or trade in my 2018 Tesla P3D for either a Model S (or when available a Highland Model 3)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, regrets.

After a couple months, I never bonded with the Model S. It's a very capable car--fast and holds the road like crazy. BUT, it's really big (I've always been a fan of smaller cars) and the steering is completely dead feeling. Giant steering wheel, slow steering ratio. Hustling up a canyon felt a little bit like driving a school bus sawing at the wheel. The interior layout of the 2020 S is also really impractical. A car that size should have more interior storage, not less. Cupholders live where your elbow goes, no door pockets, etc. I carry a lot of work-related stuff with me everywhere, so that was a bit of a nuisance.

So after admitting defeat, I ordered up a Highland 3 LR. I could have actually gotten the performance for the exact same price due to tax incentives, but decided the LR was really a better match for my purposes. The model S was an impulse decision and turned out to be a bad one as I lost quite a bit of money on trade-in after just two months. But I'm happy in the highland now. The 3 just feels more "right" to me. And yes, 2 weeks in, I still think the turn signal buttons are stupid. :D
Hate to tell you this, but the LR now qualifies for tax incentives. On the other hand, maybe yours will be grandfathered in? When I bought my 2023 I was expecting only half of the credit, but Tesla somehow worked a loophole to be eligible for the full amount. I don’t imagine they’ve since shifted the LR packs from 75 kWh LG (China) back to 82 kWh Panasonic (Fremont)?