Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I order, or wait? Prices seem so high on MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t secure financing until you have a VIN. The advice given to me and floating around the forum is to just select cash payment after ordering so you can complete the tasks in your profile, then you can contact them to change it to financing when your VIN is assigned.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
The car isn't even worth that though. That's the problem :/
well, if it isn't worth it, buy Honda Civic or Nissan Leaf :) Those worth $25k-$30k price tag for sure, great commuters :) Not sure why people complain about prices so much, you like it? buy it, you don't, find something else, simple as that :) I myself wanted Tesla and nothing else, well maybe Rivian, so I got MX, now waiting to replace my wife's CR-V with MY LR AWD :) No competition gets close to Tesla in my mind. Price wise, yes, lots of money, but again, you can't afford or pay that much for a piece of metal with batteries, there are plenty of other choices for sure :)

Thoughts? Thinking about just ordering one to lock it in, but given delivery dates seem months out, how soon do I need to have financing and things in order? Will they assign a VIN to me before that, or only after?
Assuming you are not using Tesla’s financing, Select cash. If you already selected something else you can message tesla via app and they can change it. Later, when you get a loan, the bank will tell you what exact name to give to tesla and you will tell Tesla the amount being financed by the bank along with other info. Start shopping around for best financing about 15 days before your EDD. Most banks can finish a loan in 3 days. Don’t get a loan too soon since they expire after about 60 days and each credit check increases your credit score a bit for a while. I got my loan too soon and had to reapply. In my case the interest rate didn’t change. Tesla will want the bank’s cashier’s check mailed to the Fremont California office. Wire transfer & electric payment from financing bank we’re not an option in 12/2021. Be sure to ask your bank to send the check via overnight delivery and also send you the tracking number and an image of the check. This info might not be 100% needed but was told somehow aids Tesla & makes the process smoother. Tesla asked me to email them this info. My bank had financed many tesla vehicles and knew to do this automatically. In the event you are paying for some of the car & bank is financing some, your portion can be paid via a few ways but using Plaid is built in to tesla app and ensures payment reaches Tesla fast & easy. After a week or so you can also unlink Plaid from your bank account. This is wha I did.

As far as price I don’t think anyone likes all the price increases. I ordered on March 2nd and so I locked in the lower price at that time. It’s up to you if you feel like it’s worth the price. If you don’t feel like it’s worth it and you buy it anyway it sounds like your setting yourself up for disappointment. The other vehicles mentioned here are all good options as well depending on your needs.

Check with the bank/credit union to find out how long the approval is good for and if they lock the rate. My experience has been most of them approve for 60 to 90 days. The safest way as others have stated is to wait until you have a VIN which means your delivery should come in 1-2 weeks.

With that said the MYP seem to come much quicker than LR and the EDD have been pretty reliable (at least in the northeast). It may be safe to lock in the rate once you get within 30 days of your EDD because unfortunately interest rates are now on the rise as well.

Good luck in whatever path you decide.

IMO there is Tesla ..and there is everyone else.
meaning all the competition trying to play catch up in some fashion. Some may have softer suspensions, slightly better fit/finish and a few key missing features (rear cross traffic alert, 360 birds eye view, sunroof, real blind spot etc), but they all pale when it comes to a global charging network, cabin space, continuous software updates, incredible sound system, dual wireless charging,..autopilot and fsd, in most cases range.

Analogy: You can always find a cheaper android phone anywhere (loads of feature) but Apple costs what it costs and retains its value,

If you do decide EV6, I’d wait for the actual GT. At least you’re getting 0-100 in 3.5 and some good range :) good luck!

It depends if you really need it. One of my leases is up and a friend of mine Tesla fanatic persuaded me to get one thus ordering the MYP in March.

Forward to today I will probably buy out the lease and get the Tesla because of the market today. I can buy and flip the car and make an easy 5K, but I would need a car so why not the Tesla?

Technology moves forward, designs move forward. If say the new MY is significantly better than the current one then I will sell the old and get the new. And for now the market indicates that they are holding good value even used.

If you need a car just go ahead and order one.

In comparison to GT Line EV6's, E-trons, Ionic, don't know, man. It's kind of ridiculous honestly.
Inflation is at levels unseen in 40 years. That's not going to get better anytime soon.
Whether the vehicle is worth it to you is your decision.
I can't see prices coming down though in the next year or more.
You have to decide if you want the model YP at these prices or not. If yes, then I'd suggest ordering it now and not waiting because most likely prices will only go up.
You can also save $ by getting the LR model

Reactions: Lloyd
Just wanted to add that when I picked up my LR in February 2021 the starting price of the LR was $48,990 and the P was starting at $59,990 and so it was about a $10,000 premium for the P model. At that time I decided to go with the LR since it was my first Tesla and I was still not completely confident with the brand.

I have been very happy with the vehicle, but unfortunately I drove a P model loaner when mind was in service for the heat pump pressure sensor recall. After I drove the P model I had to have it (that was about 7 months ago now).

The financials have completely changed as well. At the time I placed my order and even currently the difference in price between LR and P is only $4,000. Further, when I placed my order the P model had only increased in price by $4,000 while the LR had increased by over 10,000.

Unfortunately I leased my LR so not much financial benefit for me there. I like the idea someone else came up with about renting on Turo (or maybe even Hertz now?) to see how you like the vehicle. I can tell you that I was very skeptical on Tesla until I test drove one and I was sold lock stock and barrel. If you test drive one for a few days that may help you come to a decision on if you feel the cost is justified.

Reactions: AquaY
Just wanted to add that when I picked up my LR in February 2021 the starting price of the LR was $48,990 and the P was starting at $59,990 and so it was about a $10,000 premium for the P model. At that time I decided to go with the LR since it was my first Tesla and I was still not completely confident with the brand.

I have been very happy with the vehicle, but unfortunately I drove a P model loaner when mind was in service for the heat pump pressure sensor recall. After I drove the P model I had to have it (that was about 7 months ago now).

The financials have completely changed as well. At the time I placed my order and even currently the difference in price between LR and P is only $4,000. Further, when I placed my order the P model had only increased in price by $4,000 while the LR had increased by over 10,000.

Unfortunately I leased my LR so not much financial benefit for me there. I like the idea someone else came up with about renting on Turo (or maybe even Hertz now?) to see how you like the vehicle. I can tell you that I was very skeptical on Tesla until I test drove one and I was sold lock stock and barrel. If you test drive one for a few days that may help you come to a decision on if you feel the cost is justified.
I drove my friend's MY LR and was hooked. Decided it was wicked fast and I didn't need the Performance Model so I ordered the LR,
within a month I had buyers regret because while I was having so much fun I wanted more speed . LOL
I settled for paying the $2000 for the boost.
Now I'm trying to convince myself how to justify buying a S Plaid while keeping my MY.
The MY is a great car

Reactions: preilly44
I drove my friend's MY LR and was hooked. Decided it was wicked fast and I didn't need the Performance Model so I ordered the LR,
within a month I had buyers regret because while I was having so much fun I wanted more speed . LOL
I settled for paying the $2000 for the boost.
Now I'm trying to convince myself how to justify buying a S Plaid while keeping my MY.
The MY is a great car
LR with acceleration boost is by far the best value IMO. At least on the 3, it drops 0-60 to 3.7 while the P model is around 3.3 - 3.4. Tesla advertises the 0-60 on the performance models with rollout (ignoring the first foot of distance, saving 0.2 - 0.3 seconds) while every other model they measure a true 0-60 (from the moment the car moves). LR with acceleration boost is about 3.5 seconds with rollout.

Reactions: AquaY and E90alex