Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take delivery in SF or Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live closer to SF but it's more difficult to get to in terms of parking/access and such. Should I expect a difference in the delivery experience compared between the two locations?

Originally, I was going to have my X delivered to SF but they had to completely reorder my vehicle due to major mechanical issues upon inspection by a tech when it arrived in SF. Now I have a chance to change venue for delivery.

My advisor told me that delivery takes about 20 minutes--much quicker than I expected. I thought I'd have more time to do some very close inspections (using the checklist) to point out any immediate imperfections and refuse delivery if some issues found are too great to ignore. And, based on a lot of reports found here, I'm expecting there to at least be a couple issues.

Do I ignore them if they try rushing me and do inspections at my own reasonable pace?

I would do it in SF. I did Fremont because it was the big Delivery Center, but the experience was chaotic because it is the big delivery center. They are delivering 20+ cars every couple of hours, it is a volume operation. If you find something minor that needs addressing you may end up in the queue of the overworked delivery staff.

But, regardless of where you go, take you time and work at your own pace. They will likely just leave you alone until you are done. For us that meant working in the open parking lot in Fremont on a very hot day. And then when we had a list, they had to search for a delivery team member that could re-clean the car, especially the mess on the seats.

• Informative
Reactions: neutralnovice
I picked up in Fremont Friday, July 13 at 2 pm. No wait whatsoever, no pressure to sign the documents. I had a checklist and went over it. They realigned one of the doors and did some cleaning. I was out around 3:30 pm. I probably could have been done by 2:30 if I hadn't asked them to do anything.

• Informative
Reactions: neutralnovice
I would do it in SF. I did Fremont because it was the big Delivery Center, but the experience was chaotic because it is the big delivery center. They are delivering 20+ cars every couple of hours, it is a volume operation. If you find something minor that needs addressing you may end up in the queue of the overworked delivery staff.

But, regardless of where you go, take you time and work at your own pace. They will likely just leave you alone until you are done. For us that meant working in the open parking lot in Fremont on a very hot day. And then when we had a list, they had to search for a delivery team member that could re-clean the car, especially the mess on the seats.

Ah thank you for the heads up! I totally forgot we're in the middle of summer and that it's going to be hot. No thank you lol. Also, I did not even think of the fact that Fremont is the delivery hub... so yes SF is definitely going to be a better choice for me.

jboy210 - when did you go to Fremont? (day of week, time of day, how close to end of qtr?) I'm planning on Fremont, but my time is my own, hoping to avoid the crunch.. tnx

I went on a Tuesday at 11:00. I heard evening and weekends are the worse.

I think before the Model 3s started shipping it was much better. When I was there (end of May) 20 cars were being delivered in the 1-2 hour window. Their were 2 Model X, 3 Model S, and 15 Model 3. The staff seemed a bit overwhelmed. A lot of people in the demo Model 3 with a lot of questions. Almost no one in the demo Model X

Our person seemed new and had some issues getting the paperwork to print out. She seemed to have a set time to get all the signatures and had to go deal with the next person while the paperwork was getting sorted out. Her manager finished us up. We had some issues like a big "L" written on one seat with blue pen. So they had to clean that off and rewash the exterior which was dirty.

We lease cars for 3 years so we pickup a new car every 18 months or so. This was not one our better delivery experiences. I have heard at the service center the experience is better because they have more time and fewer cars. We live 10 miles from Fremont and 4 miles from the Dublin SC. And next time I will opt for the Dublin SC.