Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I trade in Model X for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, before you all think I’m crazy...let me explain. We are a family of 7 and I’ve had the Model X 75D almost 2 years now and have put 37,000 miles on it. I commute about 110 miles each day for work in California and it has been great. We’ve gone on road trips and family vacations in it and created lots of great memories. My 75D also has the upgraded sound system, ventilated seats, bio weapon defense mode and white seats and it’s been fun to drive.

Well a couple months ago we learned that we are expecting child number 6 next summer, which will make 8 and more than the Model X can hold. We also have a Honda Odyssey that seats 8, so that will be our main family traveler from now on and I’ll continue drive the X to work.

I’m seeing all these great reviews of the 3 now and it’s really making me jealous because of the excellent build quality, no FWD issues, smooth fit and finish, etc... on the 3. Plus it’ll have AP2.0 which I know isn’t that great yet but it will be.

What do you guys think I should do?

What do you guys think I should do?

images

We have both, a Model 3 and X100D right now. Two totally different animals. The ride is firm (I would say bumpy in the back) in the 3, vs. smooth in the X. Space-wise, the 3 is great, but it is also not a baby S or X for that matter. I like both. If I had to choose between one or the other and the higher cost isn't an issue, I would probably keep the X.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 3 is an amazing "driver's" car, but it is definitely more "budget" in almost any way.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
6 kids!? Congrats, but wow - I can't wrap my head around having more than 2 kids (#2 is due in June and I'm D-O-N-E).

If nothing else, swapping out the X for a 3 would probably free up some cash for baby number 7.

Congrats on the new family member! 2 boys already more than enough for me.....wow, I can't imagine 6......

If your X is paid off, then sure.... and like @206er said, maybe you can free up some cash too

We have both, a Model 3 and X100D right now. Two totally different animals. The ride is firm (I would say bumpy in the back) in the 3, vs. smooth in the X. Space-wise, the 3 is great, but it is also not a baby S or X for that matter. I like both. If I had to choose between one or the other and the higher cost isn't an issue, I would probably keep the X.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 3 is an amazing "driver's" car, but it is definitely more "budget" in almost any way.

Thanks for your input. tbh...the ride in my X is actually pretty hard. Something I’ve taken back to the service center many times and all they can do is recalibrate, but I still seem to feel every rock and bump I run over. My Honda Odyssey is sooo much smoother, which I thought was interesting since I have “air” suspension.

I just "downgraded" from an early S to a 3 for various reasons, I don't think it's crazy depending on what you're after. For me, I don't carry a lot of people or stuff, and generally I prefer smaller cars anyway, so if a 3 had been available back when I bought my S, it would have been my first choice then. It's also nice that it'll be cheaper to own and has a lot of other modern bells and whistles my S lacked (LED lights, autopilot, parking sensors, etc), but mostly I'm just enjoying the feel of a smaller more nimble car. It is a rough ride though, no question, so if a smooth ride is a priority I'd stay away.

Thanks for your input. tbh...the ride in my X is actually pretty hard. Something I’ve taken back to the service center many times and all they can do is recalibrate, but I still seem to feel every rock and bump I run over. My Honda Odyssey is sooo much smoother, which I thought was interesting since I have “air” suspension.
Absolutely, the X isn't a smooth ride at all (all things considered), but if that is already annoying you, I suggest you get into a 3 for a test ride and also sit in the back where your kids will likely be. I was in the back with my daughter and it was quite the ride o_O

You might want to factor in that the X will still be able to haul all the kids at once with driver, which could come in handy from time to time.

....and I’m somebody with 1 kid who will definitely prefer the driving dynamics of the 3! ;)
Not sure your kid will prefer it though! The 3 is definitely a "driver's" car but try sitting in the back. While spacious it is also far less refined than the S or the X. I enjoy driving the 3, just not as a 2nd row passenger :D

Let me know if you are interested in selling. Based on what Tesla has listed the 75D w/ AP1 for $72k - $84k with half the miles. I am guessing that they would only offer you $50k - $53k for it. For $50k I think the X is the right choice.

No....

We're still pining to add an X... someday... perhaps when CPO X are more common... (wait, let me retract that No into a Yes... :p)

The 3 is a solid and fun vehicle to drive... just not much space

As the third of six, I think you are a bit crazy; however, it would make great sense to swap to the Model 3 while the X retains much of its value.
*Umm* -- I think when he finds out the trade value on the MX, he'll find out that ship has already sailed.

I'd bet he will be paying money to get the M3, with a 2 year old MX75D and 30+K miles. Sorry folks, but that's the sad reality of car ownership.

Reactions: Brutaka