Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I update my software? And another thing...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently picked up a 2015 P85D with 23,400 miles. Love this thing. I have a couple questions about the software. I have been reading on the board about everyone's disdain for the recent software update. Especially about the fact that you can't easily have certain things up on the screen where you want. When I picked up mine, it had an update pending, but I have been putting it off, Should I REALLY do the update? What were the changes to the recent update? Should I also do a factory reset? The previous owners info and nav destinations are in there.

Also, I live in Northern NJ and temps have been pretty low. Mostly 30's during the day, maybe hitting high 20's a couple times. I notice that I am losing about 20 miles a day while the car is parked outside on the street. I have read multiple threads on this board about this, but don't really know if this is normal. Some people say yes, no big deal. Others are having service look into it. I don't have much of a history with the car so it's hard for me to judge what's normal. Is this happening because it's cold outside? Would it be less in the summer?

Any insight any can give me would be great.

Thanks

I have not updated off of 8.1, and will not for as long as possible because:
I like the split screen like it is in V8
I want color on the maps
I want green where traffic is flowing
I like the control icons along the top, not the bottom
I like my nag interval measured in minutes, not seconds
I don't want the media player displayed pretty much ever

Those are important to me, but maybe not to other people.
There is no rush to update. Can you get a test drive on a V9 car somehow? Maybe you can compare.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
What you have been hearing is Model S and X users they have gotten used to the old interface. With te hahe Model 3, a new interface was introduced and the issues are mostly the old farts that can't handle change.

You aren't familiar with old interface, so the quicker you move, the happier you will be.

Can you be more specific about what made Ver 9 better? Is it having to tap to get what used to be the fixed upper tool bar on the bottom of the portrait screen? Do you like all the keystrokes, the scrolling and looking further from the road? Be objective. Go ahead. There must be something.

Reactions: kavyboy
Can you be more specific about what made Ver 9 better? Is it having to tap to get what used to be the fixed upper tool bar on the bottom of the portrait screen? Do you like all the keystrokes, the scrolling and looking further from the road? Be objective. Go ahead. There must be something.
Yes, same here. Waiting with bated breath about why I should update. :) Why OP should update.

Reactions: neroden