Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Upgrade to LTE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think most would notice and it's surely costing them plenty to keep all the cars connected. Maybe a discount applied if throttled.

I seriously doubt it. The bandwidth costs are miniscule compared to everything else above the line. It's like the government budgeting process... they're worried about cutting the little 10 or 20 million programs here and there (like NPR and other art programs), but won't touch the military spending or other huge proportions of the expense pie.*

Tesla already has to pay for the telemetry bandwidth. I think the big issue, as I've said before, is proxying all that through Jasper networks. That's a huge bottleneck. They should just let the maps, and streaming (and web browser, ha ha) go direct to AT&T, and only the telemetry go through the proxy server (like it already does when on wifi).

*This is not a political discussion, just an example.

Tesla already has to pay for the telemetry bandwidth. I think the big issue, as I've said before, is proxying all that through Jasper networks. That's a huge bottleneck. They should just let the maps, and streaming (and web browser, ha ha) go direct to AT&T, and only the telemetry go through the proxy server (like it already does when on wifi).

The Internet is big and complex. There might even be other networks between Jasper, Tesla, and whomever else is involved (I have no idea what the network paths are like), any of which could be congestion points.

(I work for a network provider, and we spend a certain amount of time diagnosing performance problems that turn out to not be on our network.)

Bruce.

I have 1 LTE native Tesla, 1 LTE upgraded Tesla and 1 3G Tesla.

They all perform exactly the same for the most part. There's zero difference between 3G and LTE in the a Tesla currently. The MCU is wayyy too slow to take advantage of anything LTE has to offer as far as speed boosts go. Some people are saying they upgrade wiring harnesses and such that improve the audio or something? I didn't notice anything.

Long story short, the LTE upgrade is useless in the Tesla Model S.

I have 1 LTE native Tesla, 1 LTE upgraded Tesla and 1 3G Tesla.

They all perform exactly the same for the most part. There's zero difference between 3G and LTE in the a Tesla currently. The MCU is wayyy too slow to take advantage of anything LTE has to offer as far as speed boosts go. Some people are saying they upgrade wiring harnesses and such that improve the audio or something? I didn't notice anything.

Long story short, the LTE upgrade is useless in the Tesla Model S.

I can't say this enough:: IN YOUR EXPERIENCE.

Lots and lots of other people find significant and consistent speed increases with LTE.

The MCU is wayyy too slow to take advantage of anything LTE has to offer as far as speed boosts go.

This is flat out not true.

I can't say this enough:: IN YOUR EXPERIENCE.

Lots and lots of other people find significant and consistent speed increases with LTE.

This is flat out not true.

I can't say this enough. PROVE OTHERWISE.

You disagree. Fine. I get it. You haven't provided any evidence to back up your claims. I've offered to provide you with evidence for my claims, but you have rejected it out of hand because I somehow might be biased in operating my camera to record a 3G and an LTE car performing the same functions.

On the Slacker radio, mine is almost not worth using. It will load after about a minute then play for a few seconds at a time. I complained to Tesla. They said it was a server issue on the Slacker side and they were working on it. Not happy with this answer. Seems there are a lot of things Tesla is "working on".

Like I said from the beginning, it's a religion. You can't prove god exists, and I can't prove it doesn't.

So therefore, you can't make blanket, "fact sounding" statements like:
There's zero difference between 3G and LTE in the a Tesla currently.

If there's really no difference, why would Tesla even bother with the upgrade, and why would most other people find the upgrade worthwhile?

Long story short, IN MY OPINION the LTE upgrade is useless in the Tesla Model S.

Fixed your post.

You haven't provided any evidence to back up your claims.

And if I did PROVE OTHERWISE, would you believe it? Would you accept that as proof?

Exactly what would I have to produce to satisfy you that what you claim is false?

If I recorded two cars, parked side-by-side, same day, same network, one LTE and one 3G, and showing distinct and clear LTE improvements (using the Nav redraws as the test), what would you say?

Like I said from the beginning, it's a religion. You can't prove god exists, and I can't prove it doesn't.

So therefore, you can't make blanket, "fact sounding" statements like:

If there's really no difference, why would Tesla even bother with the upgrade, and why would most other people find the upgrade worthwhile?

Unlike god, you can prove mechanical, technical, physical interactions with the environment. That's what you don't seem to be able to accept. You can prove or disprove this claim, there's nothing mystical about it. You're the one advocating for the mysticim of how LTE is somehow amazingly faster and better than 3G.

I offered to prove that it wasn't by showing you two cars, side-by-side, performing the same function. I have those two cars, I know what they do. But that proof isn't good enough for you, because somehow, that's not proof of .. something something the dark side something? I don't know.

And if I did PROVE OTHERWISE, would you believe it? Would you accept that as proof?

Exactly what would I have to produce to satisfy you that what you claim is false?

If I recorded two cars, parked side-by-side, same day, same network, one LTE and one 3G, and showing distinct and clear LTE improvements (using the Nav redraws as the test), what would you say?

I already offered to do this and you said it wouldn't be proof. I really don't know what more can be offered than this. *shrug*

Also, I want to point out, which is more likely:

Someone who purchased something and need to mentally justify the purchase and that they didn't make a mistake, so claims it's the greatest thing ever.

or

Someone who purchased the same thing, realized it was bunk and that they made a mistake, and now is warning others not to make the same mistake?