Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait for Model X Refresh???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I am going to own a Model X but I am not sure if I should wait or buy now.

The discussions are filled with build quality issues that should have been fixed for MX already and that scares me.

It also seems the Model X may get the new M3 battery pack and HVAC system and look when they upgrade.

I want to wait for ventilated seats to be put in 100D and was hoping for some improvements in the seat. At 6'6 it would be nice if the seats could extend a bit to provide support. Don't need to be S550 seats but would be nice if they made them more comfortable.

I am torn between getting it now and waiting for them to refresh and getting some improvements.

Thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: GayForEllon
The discussions are filled with build quality issues that should have been fixed for MX already and that scares me.

Thoughts?

They are overblown and nothing to worry about. Tesla delivered 10k Model X in the last quarter. The # of people who have had serious problems is less than 12 on this group. Take that into consideration. the majority of people aren't going to go on TMC and report "hey I got my car today, works as described thanks.

You can't think of buying a Tesla like a traditional car. Sure the car next year will be better, but it will always be better. Might as well buy now. With software updates, the car will continuously improve for years to come.

I should have added I had similar concerns to yourself but I still ordered. I’m 6ft4 and about 20st and the MX seats are way more comfy than my current car.

Sure, they could change it tomorrow but if you really want one go for it treat yourself I’ve not taken delivery yet “september“ but Boy I’m excited!! Should of you need a code :)

Wait? No.
There will be incremental improvements all the time and nobody is telling the public when or what, but the quality is there and performance already exceeds the range needs of anyone that doesn't have long distance towing as a deciding factor.
Faster touchscreen (MCU) and comfy ventilated seats are nice to have, but again, not essential, just nice to have, like DL, nobody needs Insane, let alone Ludicrous, but (very) nice to have. Don't wait.
It will be years before a "wow!" update to the X. Once the Roadster or Pickup unveil the next generation batteries, then we'll see that go into the S3XY cars. That's when I'll update.
Next is the Y, then the pickup, Semi, and the Roadster ... all "by 2020" ... who knows ... maybe first customers in 2021 ... then the resources would be available for Tesla to "fix what ain't broke."

We have an '18 P100D with the vented seats and upgraded MCU, and a '16 P90D with everything including the retractable wing ... I really like that wing ... : ) I'm going to try to update the P100D with that wing from the parts department. Is a used '16 X worth its market price? Yes. Is a new or used '18 P100D "worth it" ... hell no ... good grief, it's $150K+ ... basically $200K with CA taxes to get it depreciating on your balance sheet. But it's still a ****ing amazing daily driver. Wait? No.

My recommendation would be to get any X with a clean service history and not one with a stack of problems in its records. There have been some real lemons. Our '16 has had zero defects from the factory (perfect paint, wing doors never malfunctioned, no leaks, no gremlins) and each of the problems have been nuisances, not nightmares -- it has never failed to answer the key and go to the destination, never left us on the side of the road, never failed to impress us as an entirely new level of personal transport.

Every day I spent in a "luxury" Mercedes GL AMG or Porsche Cayenne Turbo S was a day lost. Sure, I enjoyed them in their day, but I just plain didn't know any better. I went to the very first customer ride-a-long of the Roadster and thought "I'll wait." What an idiot. We all stood around and said "wow ... but it's a Lotus with arc welder cables and a washing machine motor hanging out the back ... and the cabin looks like my nephew made it with his neighbor's sewing machine and some hot-melt glue ...." What mistake to miss out on that experience. I had one of the first batch of Model S's and decided "nope" (mistake) and the first batch of Model S with the first ever mention of Ludicrous and "sports" seats ... I passed on that one, too, though I think I probably made the right call because it would be another 6 to 9 months before that car finally worked as advertised ... I was an early-adopter who tended to wait, but now I'm just an early adopter (and looking forward to the Model 3 Performance (due to me in August) and the Roadster 2.0 (ordered during the unveiling) ... not waiting again!

I've lived with a 2016 X for 40K+ miles and I know what it's missing (360 surround parking cameras, range while towing, Android Auto, real ventilated seats, wiper/washer on the backup camera, removable 3rd row seats in the 6-seater, comfort mode in the air suspension) and it's 1000-2000lbs too heavy, it's too wide for city driving and parking, Autopilot has been turned into a nagging nanny, it doesn't have AEB or blind spot alert, and the body panel alignment around the wing doors is kit-car quality) but to repeat a cliche of thankfulness repeated by many others before me, a Tesla is like my wife: I'm not worthy of such good fortune and her shortcomings like the shortcomings of the X are invisible to me. : )

Realistically speaking the biggest experential difference is going to AP.

Considering AP 2.5 is going to be on half a million Tesla’s before not too long - I wouldn’t count on that changing any time soon.

I would be driving a model x now if it weren't for ONE thing: No moonroof. That's an absolute no go for me. So, got an S instead.

If they revise the X to have a moonroof later I'll likely consider selling the S for the X at that point (though, my wife would kill me).

But, for me, no moonroof, no sale.

• Disagree
Reactions: Leo Snow
I would be driving a model x now if it weren't for ONE thing: No moonroof. That's an absolute no go for me. So, got an S instead.

If they revise the X to have a moonroof later I'll likely consider selling the S for the X at that point (though, my wife would kill me).

But, for me, no moonroof, no sale.

Agreed.

Hopefully the Model X redesign will be designed entirely around the moon roof and not try to force in extraneous crap like transporting 7 people while being able to tow a 787.

I'm in a similar boat, ready to pull the trigger on a new MX soon but I'm waiting for 3 things:
  1. Demonstrated ability to achieve some AP features that are superior to AP1. I'm not talking about a BS sales video like the one from fall 2016 - I'm talking about an actual review from a customer showing a significant improvement over AP1 in a real production vehicle. That hasn't happened yet and until shown otherwise I will remain skeptical that the AP2.5 hardware suite is capable of any serious improvement over AP1.
  2. Supercharging V2 (Elon says by the end of the year) so I can see if they will change pack chemistry to support the faster charge. The extra rate will make all the difference to me on those long road trips in the dead of winter. The max rate in my MS is currently 84kW so each supercharger stop on a road trip is at least 45 minutes - normally more like an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes.
  3. A slightly larger pack (120kWh or 130kWh) or a 100kWh with new chemistry that has 350+ EPA range. My 75D MS was only getting about 150 real world miles during my last coast to coast road trip in January 2018 - more than 100 miles less than advertised. I can't imagine a winter road trip in the X while also towing something. Would likely be 100 miles of range or less, which doesn't cut it for me.

A bill is going thru Congress now that should extend credit or even give rebate st time
Of purchase.

It’s good politics all around to give U.S. companies even playing field with EV.

Not likely to pass at all. Republicans hate anything involving clean energy. Look at how much they've wrecked solar.

I'm in a similar boat, ready to pull the trigger on a new MX soon but I'm waiting for 3 things:
  1. Demonstrated ability to achieve some AP features that are superior to AP1. I'm not talking about a BS sales video like the one from fall 2016 - I'm talking about an actual review from a customer showing a significant improvement over AP1 in a real production vehicle. That hasn't happened yet and until shown otherwise I will remain skeptical that the AP2.5 hardware suite is capable of any serious improvement over AP1.
  2. Supercharging V2 (Elon says by the end of the year) so I can see if they will change pack chemistry to support the faster charge. The extra rate will make all the difference to me on those long road trips in the dead of winter. The max rate in my MS is currently 84kW so each supercharger stop on a road trip is at least 45 minutes - normally more like an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes

Plenty of people on TMC have reported AP2 driving superior to AP1 especially with the new neural net update.

You mean Supercharging V3 right? We're on V2 right now.