Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting ready to order a Model Y. If I order today delivery is January, what are my chances of the new battery? The dealership says I can delay delivery 2 times before it is canceled. Does that mean it will be a different car? Any thoughts?

I’m going to guess the 4860 battery is probably a year out. When they first start building Ys in Texas they will get the batteries from Fremont. It all depends on how soon you need/want a Y. We didn’t wait. Will just buy a different one when battery tech advances enough (more than the new cells). I personally do not want to be an early adopter of the new cells.

Reactions: Noflash
Unless Elon has a user name and responds, this is all just speculation. Want or need a car soon? Order it. Every year there will be something different

If you want or need a car soon, don't buy a new Tesla. At best buy a used Tesla, but if time is actually a concern I'd just go to Honda, Subaru, etc.

But if you've got emergency car buying needs then I really don't understand your life and am not the best person to ask advice from.

I have been having the same question, but January is a long way off, more news will likely come out by then and you are able to delay the order if you hear something you like that you want to wait for. I don’t think getting in line now is a bad idea if you know a MY is the car you want.

@garrickmosko Since there is no annual new official version, getting the latest update is a moving target.
There have been rumours of air suspension, then 4680 cells, and now FSD 4.0

If you don't have yet a Tesla, or any EV, I would not hesitate making an order instead of waitting.
Any update would be nicer but would not provide a really noticeable driving experience.

Note: The most recent news about future versions is as follow:

From the article, the possible longer EPA range could be 565 km or 351 miles.
The current Model Y LR AWD is 326 miles, so nothing really important,
especially if your typical usage is between 20 % and 80 % (or 210 miles instead of 195 miles).

Last edited:
If you want or need a car soon, don't buy a new Tesla. At best buy a used Tesla, but if time is actually a concern I'd just go to Honda, Subaru, etc.

But if you've got emergency car buying needs then I really don't understand your life and am not the best person to ask advice from.
My SC had them in stock (still does) so we bought the same day we test drove one. Now at the end of quarter they don’t have any for sale. I had 3 white ones to pick from when we purchased and the website was telling me 13 weeks.