TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should I (we) be worried about Suspension Failure?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by K-MTG, Nov 5, 2016.

Tags:
?

Should I (we) be worried about Suspension Failure?

1. YES! Stop Driving the Car IMMEDIATELY! Tweet Elon! Call the SC a Million Times!!

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Make a SC appointment and bring it in for a 3rd diagnostic

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. This can wait till my X is due for annual inspection (next-year). (This is what I would like to do)

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. Stop freaking out, enjoy the car, etc....

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

It's funny, because we are on "very high" when we leave our gravel driveway. The car lowers once we reach speed. And this is where my wife complains about the noise under hard acceleration.

I'm driving the X later this afternoon and will try to drop it first, see how that goes.

2. DrivingTheFuture

You probably already checked this, but ensure that the lane departure vibration warning is turned off... I was alarmed by it our first week of ownership because it really feels and sounds like a suspension issue when it's on

• Informative x 1
  3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I drove the exact same route I did the last time I felt the rumbling/shudder and sure enough, when I left the park, my suspension was still on "Very High". I had it set this way because of the gravel road in the park and I didn't want to get stone chips. Looks like the suspension will not auto-lower until speed is reached (vs exiting a GPS-fence location). Therefore, in my scenario, the suspension height was responsible for the shudder.

4. Coolcarx

Coolcarx Member

Thanks, was about to take car in for service with vibration noise.

5. ohmman

My X is at the Service Center. When I dropped it off, I drove with a knowledgable tech who gave me a fairly detailed explanation of the work they put into resolving this shudder. According to the tech, Tesla mounted cameras trained on the suspension in order to figure out what was going on. They also had some parts precision machined to see if that resolved the issue. No matter what they did, they found that the combination of torque and front suspension architecture would result in this particular kind of shaking/shuddering. He said it's specifically on the highest setting(s) of the suspension.

I have to imagine on a P100DL it would be pretty intense.

• Informative x 1
  6. outie

outie Active Member

Would you mind inquiring about how the different suspension heights will affect tire wears? Not sure if you've seen the youtube video about someone saying (and video demonstrating it) that the Low setting creates negative chamber which effectively causes extra wear on the inner tread. Thanks.

Tesla Model X Air Suspension Tire Wear • /r/teslamotors

7. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I wonder if this kind of shudder at high suspension setting will cause premature wear 'n tear and/or cause things to become loose?
    If so, then I also wonder if Tesla will update software to limit power when suspension setting is set to high or very high?

8. ohmman

I wondered this same thing. Seems like an easy workaround, but probably a difficult decision internally.

9. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Since the shuddering is not a great experience and it will likely cause complaints/headaches for the service department, I would expect that Tesla will eventually issue a (temporary?) software update to reduce power at higher suspension levels (unless they can find a different work-around or stabilize whatever is shuddering).

Unfortunately when someone accelerates quickly at high suspension level, I don't think it's possible to lower suspension quick enough to eliminate the shudder. But quick acceleration should also be a trigger to lower suspension, rather than only using the current speed.