Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I (we) be worried about Suspension Failure?

Should I (we) be worried about Suspension Failure?

• YES! Stop Driving the Car IMMEDIATELY! Tweet Elon! Call the SC a Million Times!!

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Make a SC appointment and bring it in for a 3rd diagnostic

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • This can wait till my X is due for annual inspection (next-year). (This is what I would like to do)

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Stop freaking out, enjoy the car, etc....

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I recently came across a couple of complaints on the forums and NHTSA regarding suspension failure on the X, normally I would dismiss it, like the unattended acceleration complaints but I do have a rumbling/rattling noise I noted previously in my: 5 Month Model X Experience + Build Quality

As mentioned in my 5 month review, I kind of gave up on resolving it since Tesla couldn't fix it after two service appointments but I plan on trying again, once I am due for the annual inspection as I assume Tesla would have a better understanding on diagnosing the X with more time (and I am tired of frequently visiting the SC, 3 appointments for me so far, I am sure others have done more but I want to enjoy the car and miss not having it.....).

The rumbling is evident on some drives and not a super big deal as it doesn't prevent the car from being driven. However, I recall that someone on the Tesla forums reported that replacing the strut resolved this similar issue, so this leads to my concern about a possible suspension failure.

The issue is a rumbling noise most prominent at low speeds over bumps (e.g., when entering and exiting driveway, shopping center entrances and speed bumps, etc.). It appears sometimes as though the noise is coming from the drivers’ side door or perhaps under the drivers’ side seat itself, as a vibration seems to be felt along with the noise to the driver. Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the left passenger door area (behind the drivers’ seat).

What do you think, Tesla already knows I have this issue so am I good??

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Here are some photos of the drivers wheel, does this look fine (for the mechanics/car experts):

Attachments

• IMG_1693.JPG
    IMG_1693.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2720.JPG
    IMG_2720.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5725.JPG
    IMG_5725.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7253.JPG
    IMG_7253.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9666.JPG
    IMG_9666.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2021.JPG
    IMG_2021.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 105
More Photos, all the gear looks super cool. I would love to see the inner-working of a Tesla and know what each piece does.

Attachments

• IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5520.JPG
    IMG_5520.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7479.JPG
    IMG_7479.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
The vast majority, if not all of those NHTSA reports regarding suspension failure were proven to be fake and filed by a single person with an agenda. I don't have the details, but there was a ton of stuff on it on the investor sub-forum a while back that a few searches should help retrieve said details/proof.

Whatever is going on with your car, it's probably not a tire about to fly off randomly while driving down the road.

The vast majority, if not all of those NHTSA reports regarding suspension failure were proven to be fake and filed by a single person with an agenda. I don't have the details, but there was a ton of stuff on it on the investor sub-forum a while back that a few searches should help retrieve said details/proof.

Whatever is going on with your car, it's probably not a tire about to fly off randomly while driving down the road.

Good to know, didn't want to stress about this as I can temporary live with a few build quality issues but I may not live at all if my wheel disappears while I am coasting down the freeway.

I have a shimmy/rattle in the front driver's side wheel area, especially when accelerating hard out of a right turn. I plan to have my Service Center check it out next week at the appointment. I don't think it's a reason for concern, especially not in the context of those NHTSA reports.

Interesting side note, my wife is the one who pointed this out to me. She said it happens every time she exits our driveway onto the main road. I wasn't having the same experience, so I guess I know who has the lead foot in the family. :)

Reactions: K-MTG
I have a shimmy/rattle in the front driver's side wheel area, especially when accelerating hard out of a right turn. I plan to have my Service Center check it out next week at the appointment. I don't think it's a reason for concern, especially not in the context of those NHTSA reports.

Interesting side note, my wife is the one who pointed this out to me. She said it happens every time she exits our driveway onto the main road. I wasn't having the same experience, so I guess I know who has the lead foot in the family. :)

Could it be a result of seat position, I keep mine far back. Also, how many times have you been to the SC (for the X)

Good to know, didn't want to stress about this as I can temporary live with a few build quality issues but I may not live at all if my wheel disappears while I am coasting down the freeway.
Why don't you take it to a reputable suspension workshop and have them take a look- there is nothing fancy under there that would bamboozle them. If they find something, send the report to your SC.

Why don't you take it to a reputable suspension workshop and have them take a look- there is nothing fancy under there that would bamboozle them. If they find something, send the report to your SC.

If I had to take the car somewhere, I would take it to the SC again. And I am not familiar with any suspension workshop either in my area.

Seems like everyone has a story to tell when it comes to noises on the X ;)

Here's mine - my car has been having this rattling noise (elastic-ish) going over slightest bump, even just from backing out from my garage to the driveway. What's weird is like that like you, the noise is there on some drives, but not others. In particular, it's almost always there on the first 10minute of driving. Mine is on passenger side. I was also suspecting it's related to the suspension.

One day I pushed all the fenders/trims/A pillar window/trim around the passenger area and I felt that's the kind of noise I was hearing. After pushing those stuff, the drive I had immediately after seem to have the noise gone. Placebo? Maybe. So another day, I just took a can of WD-40 and spray around all those fenders/trims/door hinges, etc. I think the noise is gone... or significantly reduced. Worth a try if you have some WD-40 around.

Last edited:
@K-MTG
Maybe you are describing the same thing that was happening on my Wife's X. On steep driveways the front right (in our case) suspension would make a scary screeching sound.
I was able to consistantly replicate it by making hard left u-turns.
I took it to the SC, and they resolved it. It was actually not a major component, although I sounded like it was!

I hope this helps!!

Here's what they did:

Concern: Customer states that there is screeching type of sound coming from front right suspension area when making sharp left turns or sharp U turns.
Customer was able to replicate stated concern at drop off time.
See Roberto if any questions,

Corrections: Front Suspension (including Hubs) General Diagnosis

Performed test drive, verified an abnormal metallic sound on sharp turns. Placed vehicle on a rack and performed a visual inspection, found the right front brake disc backing plate was loose , making contact with the disc on sharp turns. Removed the right front wheel , brake caliper, brake disc and secured the fasteners holding the backing plate to the knuckle. Re-installed all parts and verified the sound was gone on a post repair test drive.

Reactions: hiroshiy and K-MTG
@K-MTG
Maybe you are describing the same thing that was happening on my Wife's X. On steep driveways the front right (in our case) suspension would make a scary screeching sound.
I was able to consistantly replicate it by making hard left u-turns.
I took it to the SC, and they resolved it. It was actually not a major component, although I sounded like it was!

I hope this helps!!

Here's what they did:

Concern: Customer states that there is screeching type of sound coming from front right suspension area when making sharp left turns or sharp U turns.
Customer was able to replicate stated concern at drop off time.
See Roberto if any questions,

Corrections: Front Suspension (including Hubs) General Diagnosis

Performed test drive, verified an abnormal metallic sound on sharp turns. Placed vehicle on a rack and performed a visual inspection, found the right front brake disc backing plate was loose , making contact with the disc on sharp turns. Removed the right front wheel , brake caliper, brake disc and secured the fasteners holding the backing plate to the knuckle. Re-installed all parts and verified the sound was gone on a post repair test drive.

Mine is more of a rumbling sound, like walking on an old floorboard that rumbles when you step on it. Glad to hear that it is nothing significant. I still have to get my loud AC fixed as well, that is more of a nuisance but I was worried this rumbling was a potential safety concern

Mine is more of a rumbling sound, like walking on an old floorboard that rumbles when you step on it. Glad to hear that it is nothing significant. I still have to get my loud AC fixed as well, that is more of a nuisance but I was worried this rumbling was a potential safety concern
Sounds like the same thing I heard. I guess I used the wrong word for it being elastic.

Have a low speed rumble/rattle on the new MS. Completely repeatable and audible at low speeds. It's been to the SC once already (they claim the car operating normally) It is going back next week for this and a bad headlight. It also causes a slight vibration on declaration

I thought I read in a different thread that suspension height setting (eg. set to 'high' or 'very high') was responsible for rumbling during hard acceleration. I have felt it myself just yesterday and now that's twice in 2 weeks. I did have my suspension set to automatically raise to 'very high' in the park I was visiting, but I would have thought it would have lowered to 'standard' by the time I was leaving the park, but based on the rumbling, it was still probably on 'very high'.

I'll just have to monitor my suspension setting a little more closely the next time I feel the rumble. The best way I can describe it, is that feeling when you hit the brakes hard on a slippery surface and the ABS brakes kicks in to prevent skidding. Also, about 3 weeks ago I had my vehicle at the SC for a seat belt issue and they also checked my suspension (on their own initiative) and found that it was fine.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Recently they replaced my front struts. Upon receipt of my vehicle, I was told hard acceleration would produce a rumble. This is different from my experience with a Model S loaner which rarely made any noise.
If I were to guess, since the new Model X P90DL I have is significantly more powerful and sits higher relative to the front struts jarring accelerations can cause forces that bend the struts.
If so, in the future, they will probably have to reinforce the struts.